"Nitpicks" you have about finals performances

Speaking of 91 Regiment, has anybody else noticed that kid who flings his horn at the end? You can barely see it on the video; I think he's in the back right of the wedge, and you can see this silver thing fly and bounce about 10 yards. It must have been a mellophone or similar sized horn, I'm thinking.

That would be Tim Gray. It was his personal horn, and he let if fly. The next year he started playing euphonium.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99 Madison

The rifle drops just as the camera zooms in on the guard when the hornline gets into the company front after the drum solo. By far my favorite company front of all time, but because of this, I must put Vanguard 89 over it in best company front of all time. Every time I see it, I just think "ouch, that's gotta suck."

99 Madison

The rifle drops just as the camera zooms in on the guard when the hornline gets into the company front after the drum solo. By far my favorite company front of all time, but because of this, I must put Vanguard 89 over it in best company front of all time. Every time I see it, I just think "ouch, that's gotta suck."

Exactly; that's a perfect one for this thread. That moment would have been so much more amazing if he caught that.

Seriously, what is your beef with the Cavaliers? Sorry if I'm reading you all wrong, but it seems no matter what else, if there's a hyper-critical comment about the Cavaliers to be made, I can count on you to be first in line.. do you have some issue with the corps? Did they do you wrong?

Help me understand.

Stef

no stef, you're kind of reading me right... as of late i have not liked a Cavaliers show since 2000...

People talk of how they are leaps and bounds above everyone in terms of visual, and i just dont agree. yes they are at the top, but a lot of ppl put them on a pedistool that makes it seem like they are just beyond everyone else. people consistently say they are the best hornline in DCI, do they have the greatest sound? IMO, yes. But sound isnt everything, there are other corps who can play circles around the cavaliers. Im not a big fan of their original music. To me there is nothing exciting about it. I also think that the organization gets too much credit where credit shouldnt be due... and this isnt a hack at the cavaliers, its kind of a hack at the DCI sheets. I believe too much emphasisi is put on GE, and the cavaliers are GE whores... they make GE work, even if they arent the best musically or visually. This is the case for 03 and 04, those two years their music and visual scores were one place lower then what they recieved b/c judges rewarded their good design. this is a practice i disagree with, How do you go on to a bus full of kids and say "sorry guys, you got 1st and brass, 1st in visual, but you guys didnt have enough GE"... The only other thing now is that all their drill tends to look ther same... and thats a michael gaines thing, not specifically cavies....

So in short, i just think they get more credit then they deserve sometimes....

such as this "perfect" guard score... i know that recovery is part of the guard sheets, but how many times are they allowed to mess up and get back on w/o any reprocussions?

99 Madison

random Q, does anyone know what kind of toss that was?

no stef, you're kind of reading me right... as of late i have not liked a Cavaliers show since 2000...

People talk of how they are leaps and bounds above everyone in terms of visual, and i just dont agree. yes they are at the top, but a lot of ppl put them on a pedistool that makes it seem like they are just beyond everyone else. people consistently say they are the best hornline in DCI, do they have the greatest sound? IMO, yes. But sound isnt everything, there are other corps who can play circles around the cavaliers. Im not a big fan of their original music. To me there is nothing exciting about it. I also think that the organization gets too much credit where credit shouldnt be due... and this isnt a hack at the cavaliers, its kind of a hack at the DCI sheets. I believe too much emphasisi is put on GE, and the cavaliers are GE whores... they make GE work, even if they arent the best musically or visually. This is the case for 03 and 04, those two years their music and visual scores were one place lower then what they recieved b/c judges rewarded their good design. this is a practice i disagree with, How do you go on to a bus full of kids and say "sorry guys, you got 1st and brass, 1st in visual, but you guys didnt have enough GE"... The only other thing now is that all their drill tends to look ther same... and thats a michael gaines thing, not specifically cavies....

So in short, i just think they get more credit then they deserve sometimes....

such as this "perfect" guard score... i know that recovery is part of the guard sheets, but how many times are they allowed to mess up and get back on w/o any reprocussions?

One last thing on this issue and I swear I'm letting it drop.. but shouldn't your issue be with DCI and the system in general (which ALL the DCI member corps have created -- as a group) and not with one corps who seems to have figured out how to win within it?

Call me crazy, but I tend not to direct my distaste at a specific corps but rather at an influence when I'm fed up with something.. I just don't see how it serves any purpose to hack on the corps when it's to the corps' credit that they've figured the system out and are thriving under it. I don't think anyone on ANY staff looks at the design of their show and says.. "oh, it's okay if the screw up there, because we're going to get credit for the attempt" or "I know there's going to be lots of drops there, but we're going to get credit for the difficulty in the show so it won't matter.."

Just a thought and I'm now letting it drop...

Stef

I believe too much emphasisi is put on GE, and the cavaliers are GE whores... they make GE work, even if they arent the best musically or visually. This is the case for 03 and 04, those two years their music and visual scores were one place lower then what they recieved b/c judges rewarded their good design.

Nice theory. Unprovable, but cute nonetheless. :)