"Nitpicks" you have about finals performances

DCI corps always perform at the highest level, but minor, accidental flubs, both visually and musically, happen all the time. What are some that are particularly memorable to you? Which are the ones that make you say to yourself, "just that one little thing..."?

For me, it would be the frack of all fracks in Blue Devils '89 (nevertheless, that guy was an amazing player), that one minor trumpet soloist crack in the beginning of Vanguard '04, and (and I still to this day can't figure out how this happened) the guy that goes to the wrong spot during the push in the beginning of Cadets 1993.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's not a performance issue, but man I can think of one little thing that I would change about SCV's 2000 finals recording. :worthy:

Two obvious ones for me are missed releases in Phantom 93 and 96.

Performance-wise, the mistake in the Cadets 02 rifle feature is especially painful.

The missed sabre toss in the first bit impact in Cadets 93, multi-cam shot is looking right at him. Yeah yeah, field was very wet...

The rushed solos in SCV 89.

There's a place in Garfield 84, during the first piece after the Maria intro...the whistling Jets theme I guess you call it, perhaps played by the mellophones? Well...I think the first time they do it, do dahhhh....DAT... the DAT is missed by someone.

hmm...

Well it's not a performance issue, but man I can think of one little thing that I would change about SCV's 2000 finals recording. :worthy:

Hey, what's up? B)

**that 7 foot guy in Cavies '01 that is standing like a full step inside that arc. (don't remember exactly where in the show, but the camera definitely shows it.)

**All the mello fracks toward the end of Medea

**Cadets 02 tuba that eats it going backwards in the rotating block & the rifle that dropped

**Crossmen guard girl that drops and gets plowed over by the trumpet block

**BD 01 guard guy that almost falls when the doing the head-stand on the girls' leg

**The 3 vertical lines in SCV 00 that are awfully un-straight & and the yelling & and the bass drum that misses the release in Adagio

**All the mello fracks toward the end of Medea

Oh my god. I hadn't ever noticed that before. That was AWFUL!!! The lead sop sticking way out of the ensemble on the last chord, the same lead sop and the lead mello on the chord before.....how had I not noticed those???

Oh my god. I hadn't ever noticed that before. That was AWFUL!!! The lead sop sticking way out of the ensemble on the last chord, the same lead sop and the lead mello on the chord before.....how had I not noticed those???

I always thought that was supposed to be that way, the weird harmonies kinda fit the song you know? First time I heard it I thought that was so cool how they added a harmony above and below the note they were supposed to hit, then when they ended the thought & sped it up, it went back to normal.

Of course, that's the only version of it I've ever heard(besides Blast!, but I can't recall exactly how it went at the moment) So I could be wrong...and probably am.

I always thought that was supposed to be that way, the weird harmonies kinda fit the song you know? First time I heard it I thought that was so cool how they added a harmony above and below the note they were supposed to hit, then when they ended the thought & sped it up, it went back to normal.

Hahaha, wow, if only all corps could make that excuse. :)

i'm sorry, i have yet to catch this... can you specify a bit more as to which guy a dn where he is located? is it in the opening block?

You know how at the big hit, the block rotates slowly, then there's silence and the members go around in circles quickly, and then the block moves slowly again as the brass come back in? Well, during that middle part (the fast part), someone goes to the wrong spot and very obviously has to compensate for his mistake in the second slow part, and he's completely sticking out that whole move while trying to correct himself.

Oh yeah, and I just remembered, the two simultaneous wipeouts in Cadets '95.