"Nitpicks" you have about finals performances

92 Cavaliers - One of the snares almost loses his sticks during the break when he flips it. The very last rifle in the ending drops(ouch)

I always thought that the rifles dropped there deliberately, but maybe that's illegal? The drop actually fits within the context of the theme and te moment there. Now, if you want to talk '92, that poor, poor girl that dropped her sabre in Phantom's show with the camera right on her and during a soft portion of the show. With the camera following her, she makes an attempt to prance over to retieve the sabre, then decides to prance back into formation without it. I've always felt bad for her :(

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question....Crown 2000, end of ballad. Sabre solo. What happened? Was that guy supposed to drop, or something? It didn't look like he made any effort to catch his toss....

One thing that gets to me is at the end of the America/O'Canada finale there are always a handful of performers who hang on to that last note.

I love the finale every year, but always notice the horns at the end hanging on

Question....Crown 2000, end of ballad. Sabre solo. What happened? Was that guy supposed to drop, or something? It didn't look like he made any effort to catch his toss....

I'm not sure, but did you know that I recently learned that that show was almost a note-for-note copy of a high school band show done the year before, except with an added production? And you thought the Cadets copying Mona Shores High School was bad...

Crown 2000 was very very similar to the Americanos very popular 1999 production of Zorro as well.

Most definitely agree with some of what you say. Although, I really hate that the Xmen 04 guard thing happened...I'm pretty sure that girl had a broken rib at the time. :o That's hardcore.

The Cadets 1993 thing (the guy going to the wrong spot) - holy cow! I can't believe that! I had to watch it like 10 times to figure out what the heck happened there. It looks like he was a supposed to go backwards but ended up going forwards instead. I never really noticed before...

I remember watching 1999 Cadets a lot and there was some hideous guard drop and I couldn't help but cringe everytime.

no, she didn't end up with a broken rib. I was in that trumpet block and everyone stepped over her. That was the first time all year during a show or rehearsal that that had ever happened. It was quite scary because I was on the side of the block closest to her and I was also right in line with her....I thought I was going to eat it. Luckily no one was hurt. Apparently she dropped because she was "sick" or what ever. Either way, it is not one of the prettiest moments of the show... i think it would go along side the beginning of Both Sides Now where the front mellophones and flugels playing (out of tune mind you) and someone fracks pretty badly.

In Crossmen '05 , I believe it's in Radar Love after the short drum break, a baritone player loses, I think a valve.... sucks.

That's actually a funny story... he lost his slide and a judge picked it up. During the pit rush thing (where everyone goes to the front and holds a chord for a long time), the judge is standing right in front of the baritone. The baritone sticks out his hand and the judge gives him a strange look...then hands him his slide back. He puts it back in the horn and all is well for the rest of the show! :worthy:

Hey, Buffalo Bill. I'm pretty sure Leighan told me the rifle gal already broke her rib during a rehearsal just days BEFORE the accident during finals and still chose to march that night. When she dropped the rifle and reached down to pick it up, she got a stabbing pain from her rib and was unable to get out of the way in time.

Edit: And as far as for everyone stepping over her... As she tried to get up she gets flung back to the ground, making me question whether everyone actually stepped over her.

Edited by show_mellow

He made an effort...you can see his hands try to catch it. Problem is...they're too close together to even get a good catch on the thing! Of course he dropped it! That's why it may look as if he didn't attempt...my spin on the situation at least. :)

Now, if you want to talk '92, that poor, poor girl that dropped her sabre in Phantom's show with the camera right on her and during a soft portion of the show. With the camera following her, she makes an attempt to prance over to retieve the sabre, then decides to prance back into formation without it. I've always felt bad for her :(

Same thing at the beginning of Phantom's 2003 recording. That poor sabre girl. :(