Great practical jokes

What great practical jokes have you witnessed (or perhaps executed) upon your hapless management or staff members? (Please mention ONLY if those who were the butt of the joke thought it was funny themselves.)

In 1976, I was outside The Cavaliers' practice site during free time in Racine, WI when a police car with lights flashing pulled up in the school parking lot. The concerned corps manager walked towards the car while those corps members at the site gathered around. The back door opened and three members of the corps got out, and I must admit, they were three one could imagine getting into trouble. The manager got to the car just as the members turned around, yelled, "Thanks for the ride," and we heard the policeman yell back, "Any time" just before the door shut...as he turned off the flashing lights, laughed and pulled out of the parking lot.

It was a classic and brilliantly conceived moment.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally didn't witness this but it's on our Tour Video. Apparantly at the end of one of our rehearsal days a few of the members thought it would be fun to "Antique" one of our Vis techs. Antiquing is when water is poured on someone and then they are covered in flour or baking powder of some sort. Well our members decided to use Gold Bond. So somebody ran up behind him and dumped water on him followed by others dumping the bottles of Gold Bond on him. It's pretty funny on the video because they show him completely covered in hardening Gold Bond with another Vis Tech laughing at him. I can only imagine how funny it was at that moment.

I personally didn't witness this but it's on our Tour Video. Apparantly at the end of one of our rehearsal days a few of the members thought it would be fun to "Antique" one of our Vis techs. Antiquing is when water is poured on someone and then they are covered in flour or baking powder of some sort. Well our members decided to use Gold Bond. So somebody ran up behind him and dumped water on him followed by others dumping the bottles of Gold Bond on him. It's pretty funny on the video because they show him completely covered in hardening Gold Bond with another Vis Tech laughing at him. I can only imagine how funny it was at that moment.

HAHA...it was even funnier when he was getting pointed at and laughed at. The act itself was pretty hilarious...but seeing that sold it. I was rolling on the floor. ^OO^

In 1989 during #### week (finals week), we were practicing geting into this tight box formation. This was the same year that Garfield introduced us to the slow motion drill (thanks Hop!). We had been practing this drill move a hundred times, and the staff kept saying, one more time (which always means there are several more times).

Anyway, the hornline got together and instead of stopping at the "tight box", we kept going a few more counts, accept we did it animated slow motion. Describing it here doesn't do it justice. It was classic!

Summer 2005:

(I don't remember which came first but both happend)

-During finals week, the entire hornline sneaked in the staff sleeping room at 6AM and woke us up with glorious power cords.

-We were cranky about not having any rehearsal time one day and wanted to have fun with the kids, so we made the corps get out side for body/movement at midnight during finals week. If I remember right, we just talked to them and then told them to go to bed after attacking them with water. I love messing with young minds:)

The one that sticks out in my mind is Mat Krum's (director of the Troopers at the time) birthday. It was always a mystery how it happened, but every year someone would get ahold of his suitcase and every member of the corps would wear some of his clothes to rehearsal. You knew it was his birthday when some sixteen year old rookie would be wearing an oversized hawaiian shirt. I think it went back as far as 1992 when he was drum major. This happened for at least ten years in a row. It was funny because he tried all sorts of tactics to outsmart us, locking the bus, even having a decoy set of clothes. I think finally he just started waiting until the day after his birthday to do laundry.

four words...

Small (hideable) water guns.

:rock:

Hahaha, we had those too.

I heard one from the Glassmen this year, at the hit when they make the shield formation in the closer. It was a staff member (forgot who...Frank Williams, maybe?)'s birthday, and so when they hit that set, instead of making a big push to the end of the runthrough, they all stopped there and played a dreadful version of happy birthday. Something like that. Anyone, corrections?