They want to cut our arts programs in my county

Unfortunately, this is happening in more than just your county. Try living and trying to direct music programs throughout most of California... I feel your pain. Just two years ago, some of us staff and directors went down to the district office and paraded outside with our feelings, thoughts and concerns... Last year--elementary school music was brought back! It takes time for simple minds to come to grips with reality! Best of luck!

That started when Prop 13 was passed in the late 70s...I was i high school at the time and we saw an almost immediate drop in support.

"Without the arts, the students won't have anything to think or write about." -- Glen Holland, Mr. Holland's Opus

:(

"Setting aside its noble yet obvious sentiments, Mr. Holland's Opus was a manipulaive piece of crap solely engineered to win Richard Dreyfuss an Oscar nomination." --Tom Shea

"Setting aside its noble yet obvious sentiments, Mr. Holland's Opus was a manipulaive piece of crap solely engineered to win Richard Dreyfuss an Oscar nomination." --Tom Shea

And at the end of the day in the film...the band program was still abolished.

Can I just vote for programs that teach students to read, write, spell, do simple math, and think critically?

If you know anything about educational research and the role of arts you would know music and art do all of those things. They also build confidence self esteem, and creativity for problem solving.

When the arts go out, test scores almost always go down within a year or two.

If you know anything about educational research and the role of arts you would know music and art do all of those things. They also build confidence self esteem, and creativity for problem solving.

When the arts go out, test scores almost always go down within a year or two.

The purported "educational research" that I've reviewed was junk science.

I would personaly like to thank the "No child left behind" act for it's contribution to raping the educational systems in this country of it's arts programs. It's not that I have a problem with teaching kids how to read, I have a problem with not putting up funds to pay for new legislation. School districts are already stretched to thin, therefore programs have to be cut financialy. They can't cut core classes (math, science, so on) and heaven forbid any athletics are cut.......so the arts are the first to go.

Florida cutting school periods, Texas and it's issues with school finance reform and others are happening more and more. Unfortunately if HS band boosters are more independant, we will see more great bands, drum lines and winterguards falling victim to standerdized testing and financial problems.

I would personaly like to thank the "No child left behind" act for it's contribution to raping the educational systems in this country of it's arts programs. It's not that I have a problem with teaching kids how to read, I have a problem with not putting up funds to pay for new legislation. School districts are already stretched to thin, therefore programs have to be cut financialy. They can't cut core classes (math, science, so on) and heaven forbid any athletics are cut.......so the arts are the first to go.

Florida cutting school periods, Texas and it's issues with school finance reform and others are happening more and more. Unfortunately if HS band boosters are more independant, we will see more great bands, drum lines and winterguards falling victim to standerdized testing and financial problems.

w/Stp: