Cadets clip

The opener entitled “The Garden” was completed by arrangers Jay Bocook, Tom Aungst and Neil Larrivee between camps and was presented at Sunday’s ensemble portion of the weekend (click here to here the clip). In addition, an introduction to the opener entitled “White Rabbit” was handed out to the members and could become quite the melody that fans will walk away humming (or whistling).

Very good indeed. Love the arrangements, very light and mello. Cool name too.

I hope (or whistling) means that there may be more corps whistling.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it!

I assume that this clip plus the clip they posted a few weeks ago forms the majority of the opener, correct? This is looking to be a GREAT show.

This is shaping up to be yet another incredible show! How lucky those kids will be who make the hornline this year! All of them sound brilliant at this stage.

I love that they're taking the literal (white rabbit) theme and, within twenty seconds of the opener,

moving into fully composed music. The Cadets balanced the two with such genius last year, I'm excited

that they seem to be doing the same this year.

And as for difficulty. What was missing from the 2001-2004 shows for me was innovation and difficulty,

mainly in the visual design and GE, but also in the choice of music.

This year, we've got one minute of WICKED hard brass parts. Did you hear the altos?! Reminds me

of Rocky Point, but twice as hard.

As long as the Cadets continue to push the envelope maybe more than anyone else, then they're

succeeding. I could care less about the final score, just as long as what they're doing is something

no one's done before.

In a word, this show sounds to me like: ZAG!

Hmmm... trumpets still don't sound like trumpets... mellophones still sound like bad trumpets (and are not doing the right things fundamentally to make that technique sound correct, virtuosic though it might be)... tubas are bumping and distorting every note-start ... baritones too... the quotes from "Alone in a Crowd" are entirely too agressive (performance-wise), every note followed by silence looses resonance and direction, all the short notes lack clarity and quality of sound (which is a lot of notes in Jeff Beal's score) ... But this is much more exciting that the 05 show, IMHO. I'm interested to hear it cleaned up...

Neb

B)

Hmmm... trumpets still don't sound like trumpets...

Trumpets in drum corps have NEVER sounded like trumpets; there's almost no way to get a close orchestral tone quality out of those things while on the move (Cavaliers 2002 came close).

Trumpets in drum corps have NEVER sounded like trumpets; there's almost no way to get a close orchestral tone quality out of those things while on the move (Cavaliers 2002 came close).

So they were moving around at camp? And just because they never have (according to you) doesn't make it right.