What Dont we want to see this year

Don't be a fool. I've taken the "no drum solo" and great drumming with a grain of salt, and the other things I don't care about, but amps and narration are just plain stupid, IMO. If that can be done, then why need a horn line, just use a synthesizer, and have the drumming done from the pit. Just have a stage production, and call it a "field stage show', instead of drum and bugle corps.

I meant to say a lack of visible great drumming.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To think a lot of these people who are pushing these rules have been around for years. Back in the "good ol day" according to some of you

Are you dismissing the possibility that more than two of the 135 members of the Cadets could have learned the drumspeak and, thus, made it work acoustically?

Yes, I am in as much as it was a "percussion" solo. My statement was predicated on the belief that a dozen or so percussionists would not have been able to project their voices sufficiently without amps. Certainly no individual or duet would have been able to project without the amps. I'd even go so far as to say that there's likely a severe diminishing return as the numbers involved increase (and the need for amps decreases). Part of what makes the Cadets amped performance so wonderful was the fact that it was difficult. Bringing brass and guard into the feature would surely require watering it down, which shouldn't be necessary BECAUSE we have amps to use.

HH

If you don't like amps, you MUST be against all change. :worthy:

INCOMING ^0^

Man, I'm still putting on cream from my flame burns B)

If you don't like amps, you MUST be against all change. :worthy:

Actually, the point I was trying to make was not about liking "all or no changes" but was that the poster commented that the need to use amps and vocals was an indication that the creative process was going downhill. This same argument was raised in many, if not all, of the preciously mentioned changes in drum corps.

I simply find the "why do you need this to be creative" argument silly. Obviously any new tool or change will open new avenues in creative expression. But even if you stripped the amps and vocals from The Cadets 2005 show, you'd still have tons of creativity. So it wasn't needed becasue the creative process was going downhill, but because the creative minds wanted more tools and opportunities to add other ideas, voices, etc. to the mix.

Now if you want to say you don't like that creative direction, I'm OK with that. But don't try to dumb down the reasons why amps and vocals was introduced to just the need of a bunch of dried up old designers!

I really don't want shows that are too Broadway. Phantom had a greatly executed show, but it was like a Broadway show. Same thing w/ Cavs, especially the baseball game, give me a break!

Give me some dark stuff / in your face stuff.

There is a difference between entertaining and too Broadway'ish.

I really don't want shows that are too Broadway. Phantom had a greatly executed show, but it was like a Broadway show. Same thing w/ Cavs, especially the baseball game, give me a break!

Give me some dark stuff / in your face stuff.

There is a difference between entertaining and too Broadway'ish.

I've never heard it put that way....but I think I know what you are trying to say!! B)

Actually, the point I was trying to make was not about liking "all or no changes" but was that the poster commented that the need to use amps and vocals was an indication that the creative process was going downhill. This same argument was raised in many, if not all, of the preciously mentioned changes in drum corps.

I simply find the "why do you need this to be creative" argument silly. Obviously any new tool or change will open new avenues in creative expression. But even if you stripped the amps and vocals from The Cadets 2005 show, you'd still have tons of creativity. So it wasn't needed becasue the creative process was going downhill, but because the creative minds wanted more tools and opportunities to add other ideas, voices, etc. to the mix.

Now if you want to say you don't like that creative direction, I'm OK with that. But don't try to dumb down the reasons why amps and vocals was introduced to just the need of a bunch of dried up old designers!

actualy, if you read Hop's proposal, he actually said it was due to stifled creativity.

so in essence, he was saying the same people writing shows then and now had no new ideas that didn't require amps and narration.