What Dont we want to see this year

Yes they did. Is there any evidence to suggest they got nearly the ovation the Cadets did? That's the point. We can argue about amps till we're blue in the face (and haven't we?), but in the summer of 2005 the Cadets designed a feature that used amps AND received loud applause. That tells me something.

HH

Well, you talk about the semantics of word choice in previous posts, yet you're going to argue applause v. applause with these two corps, which is something we can't strictly quantify.

The context with which they were both presented is different...but things being what they are, BD still effectively enunciated up to the nosebleed section without the use of amps during their "drumspeak" as the different sections (guard, horns, etc) performed 'em....whereas Cadets used it as part of a percussion feature that would have gotten hoots and yells from the playing previous to it/after it regardless, so I question if the amps were "directly" responsible for the reaction.

People cheered loudly for Crown in 2004 after "Seasons Of Love"; yet some here revile it as amplification use at its worse.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a matter of personal taste no matter how we try to qualify it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People cheered loudly for Crown in 2004 after "Seasons Of Love"; yet some here revile it as amplification use at its worse.

Being completely honest, I was in the front row of the upper deck in semis in '04, and no lie, the response at the end of the poetry jam session was lukewarm at best. The middle two segments didn't garner NEARLY as much response as the opening and closing pieces. At other shows throughout the season, and can truthfully say that response for these songs weren't what I would consider "loud" by drum corps standards, and I saw a LOT of headshaking in the stands.

No. No. I didn't mean to compare applause in that post as if that were the important point. I apparently failed to make the point I intended which was this: Irrespective of anything else, the Cadets designed a feature that used amps and got big-time applause. That's significant.

If you want to say that Crown's 2004 singing inspired the audience to applaud too, that's fine. I don't remember quite such a response, but if you're right, it supports my contention that no small part and likely a majority of the audience liked the way the corps used amplified voices.

HH

Being completely honest, I was in the front row of the upper deck in semis in '04, and no lie, the response at the end of the poetry jam session was lukewarm at best. The middle two segments didn't garner NEARLY as much response as the opening and closing pieces. At other shows throughout the season, and can truthfully say that response for these songs weren't what I would consider "loud" by drum corps standards, and I saw a LOT of headshaking in the stands.

Yeah, I know...some of what I saw was tinged by the fact that it was a show close by for Crown in VA with plenty of homers/parents in the audience. I do remember the semis performance being a little muted in its appreciation as well.

Amplification and Narration. I was at DCI and Crown's show was very good, until the singing and narration. Narration, during the drum solo also. Too bad. They had alot of talent and the rest of the show was good, but from what I saw, the crowd didn't care for it as well. No disrespect to the kids, they didn't write the show.

It wasn't at the two show I saw them at.

Ummm...I was sitting in the YEA section in Allentown (I bought my tickets off of their website :beer: ), and I gotta disagree with you. Even in that portion of the stands, Phantom got a bigger ovation than Cadets. I remember remarking on that with some confusion afterwards. Phantom actually got a partial standing ovetion from that section in the middle of their show that night. But hey, that's just what I know.

Looks like we have to agree to disagree on that.

I don't remember it getting all that much of an ovation ... but were people applauding the use of amplified "drum speak" or were they applauding the actual drum solos?

The thing with Cadets drumspeak was that there were so many other questionable things in the show that it was only a comparatively minor irritant.

What really got to me was that it was all so unnecessary. I was at the YEA concert right before the season started and gave the Cadets a standing ovation myself. The pure musical quality was so awesome that they really earned my respect and admiration. Then I saw the field show in Orlando with all the gimmicks and never watched the show again. It's a shame what the visual interpretation did to an awesome brass and percussion presentation.

I don't remember it getting all that much of an ovation ... but were people applauding the use of amplified "drum speak" or were they applauding the actual drum solos?

Problem #1 with amplified voice (or any use of voice) -- how do you judge it?

it seems to be avoided at all costs. having seen the dvd's, the vocal cleaniness is paled by what they actually played on the drums....not counting that one guy al but swallowing the mic