What Dont we want to see this year

Well we have already seen the movement of some sections to the pit <**> , so anything is possible using the same "reasons". I for one will not be even slightly suprised when electric guitars and visual/sounds effects are allowed in the next decade. I forsee a much smaller musical ensemble and a much larger visual ensemble. I think the "drum corps" of say 2020 will be a combination of Blast/actual acting theater/with some horn players. Pits will cover most if not all of the percussion, with people actually moving with percussion instruments only if it relates to the show, like bringing jun-juns onto the filed for a tribal piece. There will probably be much more involved storylines, with actors with real vocal parts and lines. And there will probably be a resurgance in the use if props and backdrops.

Edited by G-Cym

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G-Cym Today, 02:41 AM Post #151
Well we have already seen the movement of some sections to the pit , so anything is possible using the same "reasons". I for one will not be even slightly suprised when electric guitars and visual/sounds effects are allowed in the next decade. I forsee a much smaller musical ensemble and a much larger visual ensemble. I think the "drum corps" of say 2020 will be a combination of Blast/actual acting theater/with some horn players. Pits will cover most if not all of the percussion, with people actually moving with percussion instruments only if it relates to the show, like bringing jun-juns onto the filed for a tribal piece. There will probably be much more involved storylines, with actors with real vocal parts and lines. And there will probably be a resurgance in the use if props and backdrops.

Please dont give anyone ideas about sound effects.. eletric guitars for god sake :|

Well we have already seen the movement of some sections to the pit ... so anything is possible using the same "reasons".

But hasn't this been the case since the pit debuted? It's gotten larger and taken on a greater role in the production over time. I don't think this has anything at all to do with amplification (though I admit that amplification affords new and different opportunities).

As for those who claim the Cadets drumspeak didn't get major applause (or that the applause was for the brass re-entry), you need to listen to your CDs. If you still think so, you might want to examine the ramifications of such denial. The crowd applauded because they liked it.

HH

PS to audiodb: You couldn't have done THIS drumspeak, which the crowd liked, without the mics.

Edited by glory

Please dont give anyone ideas about sound effects.. eletric guitars for god sake :|

I know, I was being a smart-###

But hasn't this been the case since the pit debuted? It's gotten larger and taken on a greater role in the production over time. I don't think this has anything at all to do with amplification (though I admit that amplification affords new and different opportunities).

As for those who claim the Cadets drumspeak didn't get major applause (or that the applause was for the brass re-entry), you need to listen to your CDs. If you still think so, you might want to examine the ramifications of such denial. The crowd applauded because they liked it.

HH

PS to audiodb: You couldn't have done THIS drumspeak, which the crowd liked, without the mics.

IMHO, the drumspeak was a MAJOR waste of talent.

I remember being at DCI finals n 2004. People disliked Crown's singing and narration through the drum solo. I told myself not to boo, since it's not the kids fault. But when I heard they got 7th, I had to let out a yippee, and it was echoed throughout the crowd. That in itself told me what people thought of it. If amps and narration are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If amps and narration are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If grounded pits are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If asymmetrical drills are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If dancing guards are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If Bb horns are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If 135 members are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If an additional 2 feet in the front boundary is so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If grounded pits are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If asymmetrical drills are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If dancing guards are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If 135 members are so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If an additional 2 feet in the front boundary is so needed, then the creative process is indeed going downhill.

If you don't like amps, you MUST be against all change. :worthy:

Don't be a fool. I've taken the "no drum solo" and great drumming with a grain of salt, and the other things I don't care about, but amps and narration are just plain stupid, IMO. If that can be done, then why need a horn line, just use a synthesizer, and have the drumming done from the pit. Just have a stage production, and call it a "field stage show', instead of drum and bugle corps.

PS to audiodb: You couldn't have done THIS drumspeak without the mics.

Why not?

Again, back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth, and drum corps used only primitive acoustic devices, corps like Cavaliers and SCV demonstrated that rhythmic vocals could be done by the full ensemble. Are you dismissing the possibility that more than two of the 135 members of the Cadets could have learned the drumspeak and, thus, made it work acoustically?