Blue Devils 1993

wow... so i just saw the 1993 DVD and BD's brass was really impressive. Looks like the guard had a rough run, and some of the visual package looked like it could have used some cleaning to really hang with the top 3 that year, but from a strictly brass standpoint... i thought it was great! Thats such a different style for them from the last... decade? but i really loved it. any insights about that year from those of you who wernt 11 years old when it was 1993 like me? hehe...

The early 90s BD was, in my opinion, bad visually. :ph34r: Great music, bad drill :peek: .

In the context of this discussion, I should pronbably point out that Finals was not our best run that week. We turned the light switch on under the rain but there is only so much you can do to make a show what it would be under normal conditions.

With that said, may I recomend getting ahold of our Semifinals performance. It was much better and much more impressive. In fact, I can't figure out for the life of me why Wayne and Dave did not request that performance to go on the CD for that year.

my bad...

Edited by jts5032

Having had the priviledge of seeing that show live many times that year, I have to say it's one of my all-time favorites.

The hornline was SMOKING all season long. The Finals performance was actually one of the weakest I remember seeing from the whole group. Considering how good it was anyway, that's saying something for how bad ### a group it was.

Weather that night was garbage. I remember the guard being rock solid all year, and was surprised to see so many drops on the video. But that goes for many other corps that night.

Soloists were titanic--especially sops--it's fun to go back to 92 where these same guys were screaming for other groups!

It was a fun year with a lot of great shows, this one and PR being my favorites (I know that may shock some Star and Cadets '93 junkies).

I'm with Wildabeast. It seemed like '90 was the last year of the 'old BD' because of Float. Then they seemed to kinda struggle for an identity until 1994.

With that said, though, I love to listen to the 1991 and 1993 shows. I'm a drummer, but those horn lines sounded great to me and I love the music.

I certainly agree with all the posts here that say that 1993 blue Devils hornline was incredible. I think they really gelled and had a great sound. I still listen to this show and am blown away by the soloist and the hornline in general. Although this is not one of my favorite BD shows the level of musicianship is great. I do think their arrangement of Strawberry Soup brought some of the great moments from the original Don Ellis score to life.

The Finals performance was actually one of the weakest I remember seeing from the whole group.

Seeing posts like this amazes me.... :bleah:

I can't even picture them sounding stronger than they did that night on the finals recording. Anyone have access to any other performance of theirs?

Agreed, as was their Strawberry Soup in '02. I've got hopes for the Bluecoats with "The Tihai" in '06. It was something I actually put into a rep suggestion thread some time ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it. Only BD has done a full Ellis show, though.

I realize this is a JR. corps forum; however, I have to diagree with your final statement. CorpsVets did a full Don Ellis show last year. :bleah:

Flag on the play. Inelligible list. All listings of the top 10 Blue Devils musical programs that do NOT include 1988 is invalid. Fifteen yard penalty, Repeat the 1980's.

:P

Dude, my bad. The year of the grey devils. Great year, but stupid me, I never remember it for some reason. I love that ending though.

I realize this is a JR. corps forum; however, I have to diagree with your final statement. CorpsVets did a full Don Ellis show last year. :bleah:

Oops, sorry, my memory of DCA reps is pretty poor. I saw and enjoyed your show last year.

Back on topic, am I the only one who didn't really care for the oversized paintbrushes in BD '93?