Blue Devils 1993

93 BD is one of my absolute favorite BD shows. Very heavy on the solo work, but what solists! That brass book is simply amazing. Tha show still get's a lot of play on drum corps rotation. 93 BD is just one of those shows where the musical program carries the day - and then some. I wish BD's shows were a bit more like this one, and less like the offerings of recent years.

• Like 1

Yes, the 1993 Blue Devils had one heck of a brass line. When you consider that they tied Star of Indiana for high brass (I think), then I think you can see just how good this line was. I really liked all the charts. If anything, I might have liked Madison's version of Strawberry Soup just a bit more, but both were great.

I do prefer these type of shows from BD to the current style. Although many like the current style, and obviously there are moments that just make me smile, the new style which started in 1994 has not really grabbed me. And in my opinion, the style started in 1994 has been modified and has become even more choppy over the years. Too many effects, too much pop corn for my taste I guess. But I never fail to find great moments in their shows. 1997 was a great show all around, so this was the only show for me, from 1994 to 2005, that had it all.

I will say this: I found moments of their 2005 production just amazing and cutting edge. I did not mind the narration, nor did I mind the "yowza" and the amplification. The more I watch their show from "Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs" to the end (perhaps the last 20%), I find that I am thrilled and excited by what they are doing. I feel they are on the cusp of something very new and exciting in terms of design and approach. While many did not like what they did this past year, sometimes you need to take 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward. Innovation and experimental methods can sometimes be messy, but you have to crack some eggs if you want to make an omelet. If they can tweak those kinds of ideas, find what works and what doesn't, and incorporate them into their new show, they may very well be the show to talk about this summer (in addition to the Bluecoats, of course!!! :P ).

Jonathan Willis

• Like 1

The 93 show continually amazes me....I don't think Don Ellis wrote a bar in 4/4 in his life!!!!

Torn8o, how rough was it for the line to learn those charts? Once Ellis tine is hard enough with his writing in 9/8 or 15/16.....but an entire show???

No wonder there were feet problems...and no wonder Ellis charts were usually concert pieces back in the day...

I will say this: I found moments of their 2005 production just amazing and cutting edge. I did not mind the narration, nor did I mind the "yowza" and the amplification. The more I watch their show from "Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs" to the end (perhaps the last 20%), I find that I am thrilled and excited by what they are doing. I feel they are on the cusp of something very new and exciting in terms of design and approach.

Agreed. The more I watch the 2005 Blue Devils, the more I like it. I know it's not en vogue to admit that around here, but whatever. I like it.

...but OH MY GOD the feet! Not the best I've seen from the Blue Devils. It's no coincedence to me that when they brought in Todd Ryan the following year, they started winning regularly again.

To me, 1993 was the last year of the "old Blue Devils". the ones I grew up watching (I was 19 in 1993). They had the older uniforms, with the open front jacket, the white tux shirt, the drop, white gloves and plumes, etc. And they didn't seem march that much or emphasize their drill, but they had a guard that was fun to watch and their hornline was great as always and they played JAZZ and they played it cool!! I miss them!

To me, 1993 was the last year of the "old Blue Devils". the ones I grew up watching (I was 19 in 1993). They had the older uniforms, with the open front jacket, the white tux shirt, the drop, white gloves and plumes, etc. And they didn't seem march that much or emphasize their drill, but they had a guard that was fun to watch and their hornline was great as always and they played JAZZ and they played it cool!! I miss them!

I don't. I get to watch them on DVD and enjoy them whenever I like. Then I pop in the DVD of what they've been doing since then, and I enjoy that too. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Best.

Musical.

Program.

EVER.

I don't care about visual stuff, so for me this is the best show EVER.

Didn't the weather affect other corps' guards the way BD's guard was affected?

Yes, the weather was quite stormy. I think they were marching in a drizzle. Madison was on before them and they were performing in a steady rain. The guard had a bad night and the rain didn't help. Try catching a rifle when it's wet.