Say "Ya" to da UP, eh?

Competed against the Blue Notes a few times in 74 and 75 on my little corps' "big tour" through Ontario, Michigan and Ohio (was in Alma, Michigan on Aug 8, '74, the day Nixon resigned - I think I probably have the local MI paper from that day around here somewhere).

My old stuff says we competed against the Iron Brigade too - with that name, I'd ASSUME they were from the UP - but I just checked, and it says they were from suburban Detroit. Maybe that's the Copper Brigade I'm thinkin' of ... :P

Goin' on a sea kayaking trip around Isle Royale this summer Mikey - let me know if you wanna go - we can spend the week trash talking other corps... ^0^

Iron Brigade was formed from the ashes of the Royal Lancers from Wyandotte Mi.(suburban Detroit) They were one of our "arch rivals" back in the day, We competed with them almost every weekend. (Gmen held a decided advantage in the won/lost dept.) There was always something special about seeing a corps dressed in civil war style uniforms playing "Bubbles Was A Cheerleader"! :P

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Brigade was formed from the ashes of the Royal Lancers from Wyandotte Mi.(suburban Detroit) They were one of our "arch rivals" back in the day, We competed with them almost every weekend. (Gmen held a decided advantage in the won/lost dept.) There was always something special about seeing a corps dressed in civil war style uniforms playing "Bubbles Was A Cheerleader"! :P

Actually, we were mostly Madison Heights (MI) Marauders (who were arch rivals with the Lancers). Although there were a number of them in the Iron Brigade as well.

When I decided to head west in the spring of 74, they (we) had over 50 horns and the hornline was waaaay ahead of Santa Clara when I got there.

Unfortunately, they just didn't know how to keep improving and it all fell apart.

I will concur with your appraisal of the Big Mack..Once was enough for me!

And the funny thing is...I wasn't even driving!!

I was in the Air Force at the time and was with a crew going TDY to K.I. Sawyer AFB in Marquette (otherwise knowsn a K.I. Siberia....JEEZUS it was cold up there!). When we hit the bridge, I basically lay down in teh truck and sweated out the trip while someone else drove!!

Isn't that thje bridge where the state has a staff on hand to do the driving for folks who are scared by it!!

Actually, we were mostly Madison Heights (MI) Marauders (who were arch rivals with the Lancers). Although there were a number of them in the Iron Brigade as well.

When I decided to head west in the spring of 74, they (we) had over 50 horns and the hornline was waaaay ahead of Santa Clara when I got there.

Unfortunately, they just didn't know how to keep improving and it all fell apart.

Duh! I knew the Marauders were in that mix....old age got the best of me!

Brigade actually had a couple pretty good corps... One thing I remember is that, as you said, they always seemed to have a big corps! I know we had a pretty intense rivalry with them for a few years until we folded after the 75 season. When we got back together in 79, there were a couple of I.B. vets who came down to Toledo and marched with us. :)

Edited by Bob Brady

One of the strongest corps in Michigan was The Northernaires. In their history they bested every corps in Michigan and Wisconsin (except for one..Blue Stars), and won more Michigan (VFW/Legion) state championships than any other corps. The corps strongest years went up to "69", then things started hitting the corps (all male up to that time) like the draft, etc. Many, many fine organizations in Michigan.

Maybe the UP corps faded from the scene because they couldn't use snowmobiles to haul pit equipment onto the field. :)

:worthy:

NOW THAT'S FUNNY, PETE!!

LMAO - Almost got in trouble here at work when I read that..

Funny...MEAN, but funny! I didn't know they made snowmobiles in the UP!!

Pat

The Majestics......ok they had this horn instructor who supposedly invented this special lip cream that, once applied, would instantly make you play better.........first time we were up against them, they were wearing the stuff and all you could hear was ....well no spelling can describe what we heard!!

They did have a girl snare drummer who made Phantom's snareline in 74...can't remember if it was Chris or Cathy...I think it was Chris....oh well.....

Another Yooper corps was the Silver Echoes out of Muinising.....one year, they had a hornline numbered in the 20s.....was all girl except for one guy!

And then there were the Blue Notes who gave the world one we called Fast Flammng Freddie.....he actually has resurfaced out at DCA for the last couple few years and did pretty decent in snare category in I&E!

Of topic but I will be up in Escanaba this weekend with the girlfriend visiting her niece and nephew.

That place is already on my to-do list. Any breweries in town up there? I'll be at home tonight watching Escanaba in da Moonlight in preparation for the trip.