What were some of the funniest things to happen...

Funny things happen almost every day durng the drum corps season.

What were some of the funny things that happened to a corps member or instructor/techie ??

I'll go first, one day during warm ups, '77 Northstars from Kitchener, how can I say this with anykind of taste with out being crude?......guard member waring tube top does jumping jacks and then it happened, well..you know..

..true NORTHERN EXPOSURE !!!

We had to stop warming up until everyone had stopped laughing and she stuffed herself back in !!!

She was truly one of the most popular girls after that, at least for the rest of that summer!!

Great memories and great times!!!! B)

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did an underwear run thru during the week of nationals. After the run thru, the brass staff informed us that one of the soloists....ummm...got larger during his solo. Obviously we weren't able to see this for ourselves, yet it was quite humorous.

One more...the high note soprano guy had this double A at a major hit. He was known to use excessive amounts of pressure. After one run of that section the brass guy announces, "We want to HEAR the A, not SEE the A." Awesome.

Carlito

I used to march beside a guy named Ross Bulcock and he had a lactose problem. Before he really knew he had that problem every morning that he would eat cereal and milk for breakfast he would throw up during rehearsal. The funny thing was he would be playing, then he would stop playing and turn his head and vomit, then he would just continue on playing. One of the weirdest, and grossest things I have ever seen. Needless to say I never once asked to use his horn.

Didn't happen Jr corps....but 2 things stick out in my head from Dream last season.

1) Contra Wayne Ball injured his knee and had to sit out a number of rehersals (although he only missed one show). One day he's up in the stands, giving the staff an extra eye on teh drill. Suddenly we hear a horrible clatter as his dropped cane bounces down the entirfe set of metal stands!

2) Run thru....we come to the end of teh opener. Those who have seen the show know that kin the last measure is a screaming sop note thaty is totally exposed. The soloist -- who shall remain unamed because I don't want him stepping on me if I march next to him this year -- fracks the attack. We're not talking about a mere tic...this was a frack of 89 BD proportions....but the funny part was the utterance right afterwards.

*frack*

"F###!!!" (perfectly in tempo, I might add)

I think they heard it in Anaheim! Darkman #### near fell down the stands laughing so hard!

We were in Dallas in 87, and one of our contra players didn't like bugs. We were doing a run-through and from my side of the field, a helicopter-type sound came whizzing by... This HUMONGOUS beetle flies along and lands on this contra players shorts leg. We stop, we're at attention..... One contra leans over to this guy and points out the monster beetle crawling on him. ALL #### BROKE LOOSE!!! "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! Get it off me get it off ME!!!"

One line I was in one year had a very low passage starting the drum solo, then a

huge power SLAM accent! BOOOMM!! All drums/cymbals hitting at once. Needless to

say this was LOUD, and if anyone wasn't ready for it or paying attention when we hit

like that, we could see them jump out of their skin. It was usually the same response,

you could read their lips saying "OH MY GAWD!!" and hold their chest. Kinda funny

sometimes... :P

Also, one time we walked down a neighborhood street to warm up for a show. We

picked a good place in a little park, and started up. This guy was in his garage working

away and came running out yelling something at us. All we could see was his mouth moving

but we obviously couldn't hear him. We kept playing, so he walked into his garage and put

his little 1970'ish portable radio out on his driveway pointing at us. Couldn't hear

a thing from where we were, but I'm sure he thought he was really screwing us up...LOL b**bs

Edited by GGarrett

This was either '82 or '83 during my VF days....

We were in Denver for DATR and instensly practicing at some local high school. Some kid thinks he should impress his friends by riding his moped through our formation...... :sshh: BAAAADDD Move Bro!! I've never seen a dude whacked so many times. He got pummeled and we took his moped and threw it off of the field into a pile while his friends were laughing their arses off. What's even more hilarious is that our staff didn't blink an eye. They just kept working on the drill we needed to perfect. "No worries, they got it covered." lol

In '84 BD, not sure where....

Some dude in a Hot-Air Balloon decides that we really don't need that field we're using for practice and hovers over the top slowly decending as if we are going to move......right. He gets about 25ft to 30ft overhead and realizes that there is NO WAY IN #### we are going anywhere. So, he cranks up the gas heater as he is cursing and moves right along....move along little doggy. lol

Gotta add another....

Stillwater, Minnesota.....1983(?)....middle of the summer.......dusk......doin' runthroughs.....

Brent Kline (VF Drum Major at the time) sets us to parade rest after our last run and wants us to listen up to the staff. Everybody is pounding themselves silly swatting mosquitoes so he angrily calls us back to attention. The staff is getting ticked because there aint no repellent in the world that can keep a Minnesota skeeter off of you and we still aren't paying attention. Of course they have already gone inside and dressed in pants and jackets before we were done. In the middle of their reprimand for not standing at attention half of the corps simultaneously bolts for the gym followed by the rest while they are yelling "NO!!! NO!!! GET BACK HERE!!"....right... :worthy:

D%#@ those blood suckers.....and the mosquitoes too! lol

Gotta add another....

Stillwater, Minnesota.....1983(?)....middle of the summer.......dusk......doin' runthroughs.....

Brent Kline (VF Drum Major at the time) sets us to parade rest after our last run and wants us to listen up to the staff. Everybody is pounding themselves silly swatting mosquitoes so he angrily calls us back to attention. The staff is getting ticked because there aint no repellent in the world that can keep a Minnesota skeeter off of you and we still aren't paying attention. Of course they have already gone inside and dressed in pants and jackets before we were done. In the middle of their reprimand for not standing at attention half of the corps simultaneously bolts for the gym followed by the rest while they are yelling "NO!!! NO!!! GET BACK HERE!!"....right... :worthy:

D%#@ those blood suckers.....and the mosquitoes too! lol

BWWHHAAA!!! I rememeber in 84 how all them #### things ganged up on Andy Johnson....poor shmoe...

Mellophone player from a small and perennial 3rd place SoCal drum corps shows up to rehearsal ripped to the eyebrows on one of Owsley's special little tablets.

In the middle of the scatter drill he finds himself facing backfield and a little to the left. Since he didn't see anybody else in his line of sight and apparently couldn't hear the 80 or so people behind him....he went home.

It was 1971......it was typical.

RON HOUSLEY

"don't do drugs"

Edited by ffernbus3