What were some of the funniest things to happen...

Of all the stories I hear about sex in drum corps... I find it difficult to imagine that anyone even cared.

Mind you, the same thing would have probably happened in my corps.

Here's a story, in 1984 our lead snare and one of guard decided to stay behind during a day out. When the corps came back to the gym, we ALL found them in the same sleeping bag doing the big nasty!

The staff went nuts and sent both of them home. They got married, joined Vanguard the next year, and took the championship!

I guess our staff just couldn't get into their heads that we WERE growing up.

Edited by apoch003

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some soprano player that I played solos with in some corps in 1993 fell asleep during a rehearsal for some closer that is named after a food. Since it was mostly visual that was being worked on and neither him nor myself marched any of this chart, we all decided to let him sleep as long as possible just to see what happens. Eventually the hornline and drumline were called to their warm up arks to prepare for a full run through. Determined now to see if this individual would sleep through everything, we all left him in his peacefull bliss in the pit area. He remains fully asleep and sawing logs all the way through the warm up. We then hit the field to begin our runthrough. I and a baritone player begin the opening duet literally about 5 feet from the guy. Some slight movement was made to at least confirm that this individual was thankfully still alive. Percussion break begins. He twitches a little bit. I then hit a high C and G above that which is supposed to be followed by....oh wait....oh wait...oh wait...........THE SLEEPY HEAD LEAPS RIGHT TO HIS FEET (with kind of a dazed and confused look on his face) AND RIGHT ON CUE NAILS HIS DOUBLE C THAT FOLLOWS AND CONTINUES THE RUN THROUGH!!!! Meanwhile, the entire corps just SUCKED because we couldn't stop laughing during the entire run and the staff was nearly tossing their cookies as they were rolling all over themselves just HOWLING!!!!!

And you wonder why people who leave other corps to join the Blue Devils almost never return.

Edited by torn8o

Back in the day Santa Clara used to practice at Jefferson (I think it was middle school). There was no stadium but there was a big grass area in the back where we rehearsed and all along the length of the "field" were apartments with their balconies facing us. Every weekend from about noon on it was all out ... maximum volume ... run through after run through after run through til dark and sometimes beyond. Occasionally someone would come out onto their balcony and shake a fist at us or shout at us ... eh, screw 'em was basically the mentality and we'd keep going. This one day a guy comes out from his apartment and sets his entire (and huge) stereo system up on his balcony ... points it at us, cranks up the volume as loud as he can and leaves it there for the rest of the day. We all looked at each other and laughed our butts off.

A French horn soloist was near the sidelines and for whatever reason his manhood decides to come out of his gym shorts. Only me and a female staff member saw it. b**bs

I don't know if this is funny or just down right scary, but keeping with the "neighbors" not liking the noise...

We were in Burmingham for finals in 1979 and were staying at a community center. We were practicing in the parking lot which was surrounded by a woods. At one point during practice a round of gun shots rang out from the woods and everyone in the corps hit the ground. Needless to say, we didn't practice much that rest of the day. b**bs

In 1986 the corps I marched in was doing a clinic for a bunch of band students. We were in the stadium rehearsing. It got to the point in the show where the soprano soloist, the night before had totally choked on his solo (and it was a solo where he was the only one playing in the entire corps!). A staff member made a joking comment about the night before and the soloist slinked off in shame. Well my friend, who was beside me in the sop line jumps up in front of the corps and imitates that he is going to be the soloist now! Before he could do anything the real soloist came back and "pants him" (pulls down his shorts and his underwear to his ankles!). My friend is standing there in all his glory with all these high school band students in the stands. He could have slunk away all embarrassed, but not my friend...He holds up his hands over his head, as much to say, well here I am baby, all of me!!!!

I think the entire corps laughed for the rest of that day!

Way back in 74, my corps was in upstate new york for the weekend at a work camp. Were running though our show a few times, and then while the instructors were giving us a critique on our performance, a male streaker ran by the corps... definately showing off his shortcomings...... we had a good laugh at his expense.... :) :)

Way back in 74, my corps was in upstate new york for the weekend at a work camp. Were running though our show a few times, and then while the instructors were giving us a critique on our performance, a male streaker ran by the corps... definately showing off his shortcomings...... we had a good laugh at his expense.... :) :)

I do so miss the 1970s and streakers!!!!!!!!!!!!