biggest jump in placements

Grenadiers went from Class A champions in 2004 to 11th place Open Class in 2005. Also going into finals weekend in 13th, coming out 11th. Not bad!

They also had the highest point jump from prelims to finals in either 2000 or 2001. A full 2.2 jump.

Edited by TenorsForWorldDomination

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've gotta shout out to my own corps, but how 'bout Chops, Inc.??? We came out to Scranton for DCA for the first time ever this last year (2005) and we won the Class A Championship! We were all pretty shocked ourselves! Can't wait to see you all in Rochester!!!

1975 Phoenix looks like the top first-year competitor. Bear in mind that the Inspires had been competing in Japan for many years prior to their first DCA appearance, in contrast to Phoenix, for whom 1975 was their first year of field competition.

I agree with you HOWEVER, all those cats marched with Cru, Brigs and Jr. corps too right?

The results of this are always skewed.

We can look at a new senior corps, but know it's made up of mostly members from another established corps.

We can look at the first DCA appearance and marvel, but then learn the corps has been around a while and just not in DCA, or spent years as a parade group before jumping into competition, or a corps re-invented themselves and went from obscurity to a contender quickly.

Results can be spun, but I have to say I am really proud of the two corps I was a founder or co-founder on.

Carolina Gold marched 17 people in 2001, and went to Minicorps, in 2002, we marched 50 some people and scored a 75, achieving 3rd place in Class A and winning high Percussion in Class A

Frontier marched 50 some people and attended prelims in our first year of existence.

Frontier and Carolina Gold was in an area to never have a competitive DCA group. Dallas hasn't had a DCI corps since 1993 and Raleigh hasn't had a DCI corps since 2000.

Not to discount anyone else's achievements, but I do believe the backstory of some of these 'glory' seasons are quite relevant

As far as DCA finalists go, my vote for most impressive jump is Westshore's 10th-to-2nd leap.

Renegades in 2003 would have been 10th-to-4th without their penalty, and Bushwackers in 2005 would have been 8th-to-2nd without their penalty. Both pretty strong moves up the ladder.

Sunrisers in 1987 and Cabs in 2003 (both 6th-to-1st) also made great leaps.

And I gotta give props to the Lakeshoremen in 2005.... their first show EVER, and they finished 7th out of 10 at DCA Class A prelims. :rock:

Fran

Frontier marched 50 some people and attended prelims in our first year of existence.

Frontier went from zero members and zero staff to fielding at DCA prelims with a full show in the span of 10 months.

At DCA, we had 54 members and one (1) non-marching staff member (who had been critically ill for over a month prior.)

That we fielded was amazing.

That we came close to doing some damage in Open Class is olympic.

Of all *brand new* corps (no spin offs or defectors from other corps), no one has ever done what Frontier did last year. Ever.

Those of us who were there know what it took. And the fire has been lit.

Edited by FrontierEuph

all new corps did amazingly well last year

Frontier went from zero members and zero staff to fielding at DCA prelims with a full show in the span of 10 months.

At DCA, we had 54 members and one (1) non-marching staff member (who had been critically ill for over a month prior.)

That we fielded was amazing.

That we came close to doing some damage in Open Class is olympic.

Of all *brand new* corps (no spin offs or defectors from other corps), no one has ever done what Frontier did last year. Ever.

Those of us who were there know what it took. And the fire has been lit.

May it be the begining of something awesome in the GREAT STATE of TEXAS!!!!