Favorite Boston Crusaders DCI Finalist Show?

MikeN

Favorite Boston Finalist Show  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Boston's finalist shows was your favorite?

• 1999 - A Collection of Symphonic Dances
    • 2000 - Red
    • 2001 - Harmonium
    • 2002 - You Are My Star
    • 2003 - Bravo!
    • 2004 - The Composition of Color
    • 2005 - Ode to Joy

just a random question....but what caused BAC, a perennial non-finalist, to jump into the top 12 in 99, where they have remained ever since? new staff? new administration?

Howard Weinstein as an addition to the corps. Simple as that. Chose the music himself, got the corps back on the right track financially, brought a bunch of big names into the corps, and is a good enough motivator to bring the corps back from the 13-16 block in the middle of the season, to making top 12 at a regional, to improving up until finals night (when I believe they jumped the Crossmen, as well). Bob Barfield came that year and is the reason behind most of the stylistic elements to the corps that are found today (their method of standing at attention, etc....most of it originated in 2001). Kevin Ford (of Tarpon Springs fame/infamy) also came then, and wrote drill and designed the program up until his last year in 2004. Essentially, it was Howard Weinstein's doing.

Edited by Jared_mello

2000, no question there in my book. Although I loved 2001 and 1999 as well, neither comes close to 2000.

'99 for me, by the way. For a corps in their first year in finals, that was an outstanding hornline. Amazing sabre soloist (especially his catch to end the show, what a reaction), and I loved the brass arrangements. Gorgeous ballad, and in my opinion, one of the most effective singing features in DCI history. The vocal parts make me picture some kind of 1960's black and white utopia for whatever reason, and the rest of it is great as well. Brass arrangements were done that year by Marty McCaants, I think I remember hearing? I think someone said it was the same arranger as Crown '01. Favorite moments are 2:18, and 3:11, the end of the opener. GREAT mellophone line. Listen to the low brass hit the chord at 4:33. It's amazing how far the drumline got from '99 to '02 as well.

. Brass arrangements were done that year by Marty McCaants, I think I remember hearing? I think someone said it was the same arranger as Crown '01.

I think the name you're looking for is Marty McCart. I know he arranged for Crown on back through at least 1995 (favorite Crown show ever, although 2005 comes close. :) )

What happened to him, anyway? He had some good stuff.

Edited by bawker

I think the name you're looking for is Marty McCart. I know he arranged for Crown on back through at least 1995 (favorite Crown show ever, although 2005 comes close. :) )

What happened to him, anyway? He had some good stuff.

Googled his name, got this.

(from the Crown '02 staff listing)

Marty McCartt, Brass Arranger - Marty is a well known freelance music arranger, composer and clinician. He has arranged for many high school bands in the Southeast including Tarpon Springs (FL) and Ft. Mill (SC). Marty attended Western Carolina University and began his drum corps career as a soprano player with Spirit of Atlanta. He was on the brass faculty with Crown '92-93, and was the corps' arranger from '94-97. He returned to that role again in 2001. He enjoys progressive house/trance disc jockeying.

What? Hooray for diversity, haha. :)

I don't know if he still arranges for Tarpon or not. All I know is that I loved his work with Crown (especially '96, 01, and '02), and liked the years he wrote for Boston too.

Googled his name, got this.

(from the Crown '02 staff listing)

Marty McCartt, Brass Arranger - Marty is a well known freelance music arranger, composer and clinician. He has arranged for many high school bands in the Southeast including Tarpon Springs (FL) and Ft. Mill (SC). Marty attended Western Carolina University and began his drum corps career as a soprano player with Spirit of Atlanta. He was on the brass faculty with Crown '92-93, and was the corps' arranger from '94-97. He returned to that role again in 2001. He enjoys progressive house/trance disc jockeying.

What? Hooray for diversity, haha. :)

I don't know if he still arranges for Tarpon or not. All I know is that I loved his work with Crown (especially '96, 01, and '02), and liked the years he wrote for Boston too.

I don't think he arranges for Tarpon anymore, because some other guy did that "Time" show (which was then called Composition of Color and given to Boston).

2000 hands down...01-03 were basically attempts to pull of the same feel with different music( minus 03)