Favorite Boston Crusaders DCI Finalist Show?

MikeN

Favorite Boston Finalist Show  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which of Boston's finalist shows was your favorite?

• 1999 - A Collection of Symphonic Dances
    • 2000 - Red
    • 2001 - Harmonium
    • 2002 - You Are My Star
    • 2003 - Bravo!
    • 2004 - The Composition of Color
    • 2005 - Ode to Joy

I think the name you're looking for is Marty McCart. I know he arranged for Crown on back through at least 1995 (favorite Crown show ever, although 2005 comes close. :) )

What happened to him, anyway? He had some good stuff.

Was '95 when they did Stormworks by Stephen Melillo? I absolutely LOVE the ballad "Before The Storm" from that piece.

By the way Mike, why just BAC's finalist shows? The Russian shows from 93 and 94 were great, not to mention some of the much older ones. The corps was around before Red ya know :P
How true! My personal favorite Boston show was 79, when they came out with something like 26 horns, sounded like 60 and were knocking off some of the big boys! They finished 19th at DCI, but were the fan favorites at just about every show that season.....great corps. :)

2001 is about the only Boston show I can stand to listen to. And in contrast to the rest of their shows, it is one of my favorites of all drum corps.

Was '95 when they did Stormworks by Stephen Melillo? I absolutely LOVE the ballad "Before The Storm" from that piece.

I think Carolina Crown did Stormworks in 95...but it was still an awesome show. Someone mentioned Boston's russian shows...I love their 93 show...still my favorite non-finalist show...I loved the way they handled Scheherazade and Russian Easter Overture.

2001 is about the only Boston show I can stand to listen to. And in contrast to the rest of their shows, it is one of my favorites of all drum corps.

agreed, Marimba Spritua was awesome..and the show was different, i liked that....reminds me of Seattle in 01 also

~>conner

By the way Mike, why just BAC's finalist shows? The Russian shows from 93 and 94 were great, not to mention some of the much older ones. The corps was around before Red ya know :P

Because there's 7 finalist shows, and 20-something non-finalist shows. Too many for a poll. :)

(And yes, the 93-94 Russian shows are what really put Boston on my radar for the first time. Easter Overture - woohoo! Dum duh-duh dum duh-duh dum duh-duh dum duh-duh...)

Mike

Googled his name, got this.

(from the Crown '02 staff listing)

Marty McCartt, Brass Arranger - Marty is a well known freelance music arranger, composer and clinician. He has arranged for many high school bands in the Southeast including Tarpon Springs (FL) and Ft. Mill (SC). Marty attended Western Carolina University and began his drum corps career as a soprano player with Spirit of Atlanta. He was on the brass faculty with Crown '92-93, and was the corps' arranger from '94-97. He returned to that role again in 2001. He enjoys progressive house/trance disc jockeying.

What? Hooray for diversity, haha. :)

I don't know if he still arranges for Tarpon or not. All I know is that I loved his work with Crown (especially '96, 01, and '02), and liked the years he wrote for Boston too.

A couple of segments of Echano that Magic '99 played were his doing as well. He also did a lot of work with the hornline during winter (like they have winter in Florida) and during everydays.

I'd probably have to go with 2000 or 2003, a show that I've come to really appreciate lately. In fact, I think that will get my vote, especially because I know 2000's going to get a lot of love anyway.

But right behind them is the 2001 show. It's just a little behind in execution, and maybe could have been tweaked in a few spots, but man do I love what they produced. The direction of that show, and the core of what they had, really makes me wish they could try similar concepts and really nail it, the way they nailed 2000 and 2003 after earlier efforts in that style.

For once I am with the majority, voting for 2000....though 2004 comes close.

Another all-time favorite BAC show that I saw in person was 1969, the "year of the bells" (except at VFW Nat's :laugh: )..."Pop Goes the Weasel" and "Unsquare Dance" percussion features ruined at Nats by their having to "lose the bells".