Treatment of DCI member and non-member corps

Sorry for the nasty sounding title but ya only have so much space to deal with.

Have asked questions before about DCI and have been told by some that DCI "is the member corps only". Have also been told that DCI does allow input from non-members in some form. And also have gotten my butt roasted for even questioning what DCI has done/is doing.

My question is if there is anything in the DCI by-laws where non-member corps are treated differently than the 20 or so member corps. Thinking in terms of invites to shows, input at DCI BoD meetings, etc, etc. Is there also a Associate member (old DCA term) where corps get only some of the goodies that the full member corps receive.

Also wondering about Div II/III corps. Same questions as the previous paragraph but now applying them to the Div II/III corps.

Trying to get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes in the Jr world.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the nasty sounding title but ya only have so much space to deal with.

Have asked questions before about DCI and have been told by some that DCI "is the member corps only". Have also been told that DCI does allow input from non-members in some form. And also have gotten my butt roasted for even questioning what DCI has done/is doing.

My question is if there is anything in the DCI by-laws where non-member corps are treated differently than the 20 or so member corps. Thinking in terms of invites to shows, input at DCI BoD meetings, etc, etc. Is there also a Associate member (old DCA term) where corps get only some of the goodies that the full member corps receive.

Also wondering about Div II/III corps. Same questions as the previous paragraph but now applying them to the Div II/III corps.

Trying to get a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes in the Jr world.

The best place to get accurate answers without "getting your butt roasted" is directly from the horse's mouth. I don't think any of the regular old posters on DCP has a copy of the current by-laws.. so we would only be able to give you conjecture and half understandings.. if you really want these answers, you're going to have to do a little digging further than your friendly local message board.

Pick up the phone and call DCI. Ask. They won't bite you. They might even be *gasp* friendly and helpful! Can you imagine such a thing?

Draw up an email and send it to JW Koester. He's a really nice guy and will be happy to answer your genuine questions.

You can also request and purchase a copy of the DCI by-laws so that you can better understand it for yourself. Just know that there is a charge for a copy of it for regular folks like you and me.. last time I inquired it was around $30. I'm sure you'll say that's too much but to be honest, they're not in the business of playing free library and need to cover their costs. You may think $30 is too much to pay for it but they have justified the cost -- supply and demand, baby! :)

Good luck!

Stef

But won't they chare me $60 'cause I'm from the Senior side of the tracks? ^0^ :P

Seriously Steph, I'll keep your idea in mind. Was asking because of the yearly changes in the status of a lot of the smaller corps in both Jr and Sr (oops All Age) corps. Getting a copy of DCA bylaws (if possible) would also be a good idea for me.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

But won't they chare me $60 'cause I'm from the Senior side of the tracks? ^0^ :P

Seriously Steph, I'll keep your idea in mind. Was asking because of the yearly changes in the status of a lot of the smaller corps in both Jr and Sr (oops All Age) corps. Getting a copy of DCA bylaws (if possible) would also be a good idea for me.

I do know there is a div II/III committee that decides all sorts of issues for themselves...some of the II/III champs event timings people here in DCP-land talk about were the decisions of those corps themselves...and they voted to delay multi-key when it was first passed.

Mike

I do know there is a div II/III committee that decides all sorts of issues for themselves...some of the II/III champs event timings people here in DCP-land talk about were the decisions of those corps themselves...and they voted to delay multi-key when it was first passed.

Mike

Which only adds to the confusion Mike. Div II/III at times sounds stand alone, kinda, sorta, in certain way but only on months with 31 days, etc, etc :P Good news is I'm finding a lot of things to keep me busy after retirement. Bad news is, I just hit 48 1/2 yrs old so I have a ways to go.

But the Lotto is up to $300M or so..... B)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Jim, I've had nothing but great experiences with DCI and their customer service and all of their staff and any time I have a question about something they ALWAYS respond. And believe me most of them know my stance on certain issues. :) But they know I still support the activity in other ways.

I remember something they said at last years winter meetings...'We are not in the business of running off customers...long time or other wise". I believe that.

They want to listen..so give them a call..it won't hurt, I promise. :P

Edited by Lancerlady

(LancerLady) Steph, seeing how DCI and DCA have gotten closer together the last few years I do believe DCI cares about customers and Drum Corps in general. Some of the statements Don Achinson have made linking the Sr and Jr world would have been unbelievable "back in the day".

My purpose for asking (at least for the present) is more of a mental exercise in what has been going on in the smaller corps world (Sr and Jr) since I came back to the activity in 2002. Just showing my small corps roots and my belief that what affects one part of corps affects all areas eventually.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Well, from what I know, DCI may be officially "members only" but that's just as far as VOTING is concerned. They also get better pay (I believe) and yes, priority as far as scheduling is concerned. However, DCI still calls all the other "non-members" DCI corps, and what not. But they don't really invest a lot of money in them.

Div 2/3 corps have a non-voting rep at the Board meetings (JW, I think?) and have their own board that gets to make "suggestions" to the Board regarding rules and what not. I don't know if any of those suggestions have been straight out ignored or changed or what. From what I know they pretty much follow the recommendations.

Of course this could be outdated information, so getting the by-lines would be a good idea.

Also, I once wrote JW about something, and he wrote me a very nice letter answering exactly NONE of my questions. Couldn't give me a straight answer. So, yeah, I don't know if I'd go that way.

i remember reading here that D2/3 corps dont get much cash attending D1 shows.