2006 DCI Classic Countdown

Cheese:

79' Gloucester

84' Chedder Cheese

93' Goat

04' Dubliner

Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can understand some being slightly upset about what corps got voted in, I think some may have the wrong idea about this "Classic Countdown." This is not a vote for the absolute best 12 shows of all time. The first one wasn't either. The only way to do that is to eliminate how many corps you can vote for each decade, as well as only allowing one corps from one year if it receives enough votes.

For instance, Madison 95 may have received more votes than Crossmen 1992, but because it did not receive more votes than Madison 1988 it is not in this Countdown.

Although it may be called "Classic" countdown, please do not read into this as though it is some sort of best of list. This is no more than a fans vote on what they would like to see in the theater.

We should all be pleased, because 1) this is a great lineup, and 2) we voted for it. Like it or not this is democracy in action. And you are allowed to not like it, but just understand that if yoour favorite show didn't make it, it's not because it wasn't one of the top 12 or top 24 of all time. Since Bluecoats 2005 and Crown 2004 were on the ballot, they were allowed to be voted in...and they were. Deal with it.

Personally, I think this is one heck of a lineup, maybe better than the first.

The Blue Devils of 1979 are just fabulous, and Bridgemen 1980, what for a tremendous drum feature and overall killer show with football game and all. 1984 Garfield is perhaps one of the quintessential shows of our time, or any time, in the history of drum corps. It is a GIANT, and still perhaps the best West Side Story production of all time. Star of Indiana 1993 is one of the most talked about shows of all time, and certainly one of the best performed and most controversial. The Cavaliers "Planets" show is just amazing drill and music, and nothing can match the power of Phantom Regiment's 1989 classic. Throw SCV 99 and 27 1975 in there and you have one heck of a show.

Smile. It's all good!

Jonathan

Well, I was pretty suprised to see the final lineup:

1) 1975 27th Lancers - One of two that I voted for that actually made it in. Can't wait for some to see those rifles and more of that 27th style.

2) 1979 Blue Devils - Hard to argue with this one...there are so many great BD shows out there.

3) 1980 Bridgemen - Awesome. I would have voted for this but spent my 80's votes elswhere. Voted for '79 though.

4) 1984 Garfield Cadets - I think it's one of the best Garfield Cadets shows out there. I chose 2000 last year and '93 this year, but can't complain here. Someone else said its one of the best West Side Story shows...it is the only WSS show that I have enjoyed. Mmmmm, mello solo.

5) 1988 Madison Scouts - Again, so many kick ### Madison shows to choose from, won't mind watching this one. I love the closeup of the mellophone taking the note up during the Malaguena intro.

6) 1989 Phantom Regiment - The other show I voted for that made it. My bet to be the leading vote-getter. This show epitomizes classic in my book. I can't count the number of times I have gotten a look from the car next to me as this show is blaring...

7) 1992 Crossmen - Not a fan of this show. Voted for Crossmen '01

8) 1993 Star of Indiana - Certainly not my favorite Star show. I have never gotten into it. I remember watching the live broadcast many, many minutes into the show and wondering when they would let loose with some volume. Not my style I guess. Very clean, cool visuals, excellent brass when they did play.

9) 1995 Cavaliers - In my top 3 Cavs shows; I love it from top to bottom. I would have voted for it, but ran out of 90's spots. I love the look on the DM's face (Dustin something?) after he turns around, kind of like "Holy Crap, they just blew me away!"

10) 1999 Santa Clara Vanguard - One of many SCV shows to choose from. Hard to believe '87 was not on the list. Would like to see the votes on that one. I'll watch '99 over and over though. In fact, I have. Too bad we can't see their encore performance after retreat in Madison...you think the Finals show was intense.....

11) 2004 Carolina Crown - Wow. A Drum & Bugle "classic" with mics and singing. Sure didn't see this one coming. How am I supposed to turn down the volume during the singing and llloooooovvve like I do when I am listening to the CD? I remember the deafening silence in Denver during this section. At least we can all see/hear the awesome hornline in a great arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody.

12) 2005 Bluecoats - Excellent show, maybe their best ever. (Nah, 1990!) Seems like I just saw it though. Just think, many may see it on the big screen before their DVD's even arrive.

A couple things I will observe:

1. Clearly those who post on this board represent a small sample of who actually voted on the website. A few of these shows were barely mentioned in 30+ pages of voting choices. That's fine, just unexpected when many seemed confident that this show or that show would make it based on what they saw here.

2. It seems everyone voted for their classic shows from the 80's, 90's and 70's, then chose from the "leftovers" in the 2000 era. What does this say about the quality/overall appeal of the shows in earlier decades? Could it be that those are the types of shows more people would like to be seeing nowadays? It is not that there is a lack of great shows these days, but I see fewer "no-brainer" shows that everyone can agree would belong in a classic countdown 5-10 years from now.

Oh well, I hope everyone still goes out to the show to support and celebrate drum corps in the movie theatre! Pester your local theatre manager to turn up the volume!

I think this would be a good idea, someone MIGHT have said it, but, What if a Corps came out with a top 12 of their OWN shows. Someone might have done it, i'm not sure? :huh: Might be a little :OT: :huh:

Steph,

Thanks for all of your help with the voting.

What jokes or things that need to be explained why we put them in the show????

As for the Civil War, Bobby Hoffman was a genius!!!! He knew that we would get a great reaction at Finals.

Even though in 1979,( the first year we did the civil war suite) when we did our first tour in Canada & Midwest and we got no reaction, we had our doubts if this was the right piece of music we should be doing!!!!

But then came Cary N.C. and when the crowd went nuts we knew it was a winner, which we did again (better in 1980).

Thanks, for your comments!!!!!

Hype!!!

George

Bridgemen 79-83

Actually, I was trying to respond to Matt in a previous post where he said he knew there was a joke somewhere but wasn't getting it. My husband and I talked about this today and (correct me if I'm wrong), it wasn't that there is a joke but most of the things that Bridgemen did were about being fun and silly to make you laugh.

Like the opener "Thunder and Blazes"...circus like music... so bring out the "Lions and Tigers and Bears.."Oh My"..type thing ... :)

And you're welcome, we love the Bridgemen and well ...27th Lancers and Bridgemen were always respectful of each other and friendly..so...:). Can't wait to see it on the big screen! :)

2. It seems everyone voted for their classic shows from the 80's, 90's and 70's, then chose from the "leftovers" in the 2000 era. What does this say about the quality/overall appeal of the shows in earlier decades? Could it be that those are the types of shows more people would like to be seeing nowadays? It is not that there is a lack of great shows these days, but I see fewer "no-brainer" shows that everyone can agree would belong in a classic countdown 5-10 years from now.

Actually, I've got my own theory on that. The first step is to avoid calling the show from the 00's "leftovers". People voted them into the line-up for a reason. Look at it this way:

I'm a pretty recent fan. Most of the shows I enjoy are from the last ten years of DCI. That happens to be the same period of time that corps like Boston, Bluecoats, Crown, and Glassmen have been consistent finalists. So over the years I've been a fan, these are corps that I've become familiar with and corps that I've become fans of. Corps like Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, and SCV, though, have been around for decades and offer a wide range of years to pick from. So in my optimal line-up, the shows I pick for those four corps are going to be from the 70's and 80's, if possible. It's not because I find those shows more entertaining - though I'm not saying I don't. Rather, it's that I want to also see shows from corps that only offer productions from the 90's and 00's, and I've got to leave room for them.

so bring out the "Lions and Tigers and Bears.."Oh My"..type thing ... :)

That's probably the part of Bridgemen '80 that most throws me for a loop. :P

Actually, I've got my own theory on that. The first step is to avoid calling the show from the 00's "leftovers". People voted them into the line-up for a reason. Look at it this way:

I'm a pretty recent fan. Most of the shows I enjoy are from the last ten years of DCI. That happens to be the same period of time that corps like Boston, Bluecoats, Crown, and Glassmen have been consistent finalists. So over the years I've been a fan, these are corps that I've become familiar with and corps that I've become fans of. Corps like Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, and SCV, though, have been around for decades and offer a wide range of years to pick from. So in my optimal line-up, the shows I pick for those four corps are going to be from the 70's and 80's, if possible. It's not because I find those shows more entertaining - though I'm not saying I don't. Rather, it's that I want to also see shows from corps that only offer productions from the 90's and 00's, and I've got to leave room for them.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I voted the 00 shows as an after thought. (not saying all did, just me)

I voted for my 70,80and90s shows then went to the 00 to see what was left.

That being said I picked shows I enjoyed, but there was nothing there that would have overridden my choices from the other decades.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I voted the 00 shows as an after thought. (not saying all did, just me)

I wouldn't argue that some did. Probably many did. I'm guessing for a lot of posters, the 70's and 80's were their favorite era, and so shows from that time are going to get the priority. But I wanted to show how even someone like me, who overwhelmingly favors shows of today, would select a BD show from 1979 instead of 1999. Doesn't necessarily mean that I found '79 to be more entertaining, as playloud has surmised.