Blue Devils breaking new percussion ground?

MikeN

True, but they also use thinner stick and do alot of brush work. Field drum are different animals. BD and CV have a good clue what jazz sounds like. We'll give them a chance.

Much agreed!!!! Which is why I said..."Forget everything I just said. Congrats to Blue Devils and Corpsvets on being the first to debut these drums! I look forward to hearing them! :)"

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think visually is where they'll have the greatest impact - the drummers are now carrying 1/2 the weight as they had been (as well as 1/2 the size), which in theory should mean that they *can* now be integrated into the hornline's drill directly.

Mike

I think visually is where they'll have the greatest impact - the drummers are now carrying 1/2 the weight as they had been (as well as 1/2 the size), which in theory should mean that they *can* now be integrated into the hornline's drill directly.

Boy is that ever going to be a good thing!!!!!!! ^OO^

are they gonna use it for the whole show???

are they gonna use it for the whole show???

For CV, yes we are. They are the new snares for the entire show.

They do play the same, though the sound is different. CV, in their release, said they have a more articulated, thinner sound that matches their jazz music better.

Since they're modular (the wedge shell can be taken off), I wonder if they're only to be used for part of the show?

Mike

They are modular but they are held on by screws so it isn't anything that can be switched quickly.

These drums have been on the market for several years (even longer than the current Dynasty snares) and have never taken off.

I personally think they sound horrible. A regular Dynasty snare is too thin for my tastes. I can only imagine how thin these sound.

Those look like they'd be great...for winter drum line. I can't imagine those things projecting enough to cut through BD's hornline. I agree with the person who said Dynasty's drums sound "intersting" (my nice words ;) as they are, and these wedge things will be even lighter, and thinner sounding than the regular snares.

Now, the snares that WILL be breaking new ground this year will be whichever Yamaha artist uses the new Randall May 'acoustic equalizer.' I played on thse drums at NAMM last month, and it was amazing how you can easily change the timbre of the drum with these things. What they are are mulitple holes cut into the rims that are opened or closed with a lever. They can be all the way open (way wetter sound), all the way closed (normal sound) or any combination of half open, 1/4 way open, etc. For the 'open' sound, think Phantom when they had the cut-away snares, only you could switch them back to normal when needed. It will add a WHOLE new dimension to writing, as composers will be able to write in all kinds of cool sounds. Remember when Yamaha put out the top head snare a few years back, and corps would go back and forth with them writing in cool solos and stuff? Well, with the Randall May acustic equalizer, it will be the same type of thing, only with more options.

Last I heard it wasn't decided which corps will field test these this year, but I can't wait to hear those suckers! Imagine Casella writing for Cavaliers with that kind of thing! Or Aungst, or any other Yamaha artist.

Anyway, not to sound like a commercial, but these wedge things from Dynasty will be interesting, and if nothing else I guess it doesn't hurt too much for corps to try it.

--

doug

Those look like they'd be great...for winter drum line. I can't imagine those things projecting enough to cut through BD's hornline. I agree with the person who said Dynasty's drums sound "intersting" (my nice words ;) as they are, and these wedge things will be even lighter, and thinner sounding than the regular snares.

Now, the snares that WILL be breaking new ground this year will be whichever Yamaha artist uses the new Randall May 'acoustic equalizer.' I played on thse drums at NAMM last month, and it was amazing how you can easily change the timbre of the drum with these things. What they are are mulitple holes cut into the rims that are opened or closed with a lever. They can be all the way open (way wetter sound), all the way closed (normal sound) or any combination of half open, 1/4 way open, etc. For the 'open' sound, think Phantom when they had the cut-away snares, only you could switch them back to normal when needed. It will add a WHOLE new dimension to writing, as composers will be able to write in all kinds of cool sounds. Remember when Yamaha put out the top head snare a few years back, and corps would go back and forth with them writing in cool solos and stuff? Well, with the Randall May acustic equalizer, it will be the same type of thing, only with more options.

Last I heard it wasn't decided which corps will field test these this year, but I can't wait to hear those suckers! Imagine Casella writing for Cavaliers with that kind of thing! Or Aungst, or any other Yamaha artist.

Anyway, not to sound like a commercial, but these wedge things from Dynasty will be interesting, and if nothing else I guess it doesn't hurt too much for corps to try it.

--

doug

WOW! Now THAT sounds really cool! So, what type of sound variations does it have? Might I be on the right track in thinking that you can possibly get the "loose, cranked down" sound when needed - and then the tighter more crisp sound when needed? Man, this is where innovation becomes fun!

--

doug

SCV had a prototype of that on their snares in 2003 and the shells caved in near the snare side due to the holes weakening the shell. There was one sold on Ebay a few month ago that was basically worthless because the shell was completely shot