Best hornline of the '00's'

And I know from other posts in this thread that I'm not the only person who feels that way. :)

I was referring to you saying they were "on fire" on Finals night. Which, as I stated, none of the top 3 corps that year were great during finals. It was a very big let down. Cadets '01 were certainly a very talented group, who played well, and do deserve to be recognized as a talented hornline, but I didn't perceive them as having their best show on Finals night.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people like Noises that are unbalanced and unblended - It's not my job to argue with them about what gets them excited, or what they like. I just wish some of these Cadet lovers would try to hold themselves to a higher standard of tone quality at every dynamic level even while moving....

Go Go Gadget Cavaliers Hornline....

I wasn't trying to flame, it just came out. :)

Some people like Noises that are unbalanced and unblended - It's not my job to argue with them about what gets them excited, or what they like. I just wish some of these Cadet lovers would try to hold themselves to a higher standard of tone quality at every dynamic level even while moving....

in response to the Cavaliers comment, some people like things that are perfectly blended and balanced, yet lack sheer power or excitement. its not my job to argue with them about what gets them excited, or what they like.

anyways, in response to the clip... it was ok, i will like it when they perfect it, but its february. is this the first time they've mixed the two together? and anyways, some people are forgetting there will be someone, to help with the balance issues, on a soundboard this year. so i dont really see that being a problem. And i think she should stay in the lower register, better blending. I mean, no one wants to hear mariah careys cheap falsetto voice on the field do they? lol

All the Anti-Crown borgs give me a good belly laugh. Anybody who saw the show live, or that purchased the MP3's, the DVD, or the CD and really listens to them, recognizes that Crown's horn sound was up there with the best. All Anti-Crown Borgs should and will be affectinately refered to as "ACB's."

Anyway, as far as the best hornlines in the 00's, here is my shortlist in no certain order.

02',03' Cavaliers

04 BD

05 Crown

03 Phantom

04', 05' Cadets

03' Cavies in particular, gets allot of repeat play by me. There is just something awesome about that show.

No anti-Crown borgs here. I've watched the DVD, infact I watched Crown several times, I really liked their visual program, probably my favorite of the year. I've listened to them on the CD. The hornline honestly didn't impress me, especially after hearing all summer about how incredbile it was. Granted, I also didn't like the music very much which didn't help. I was impressed by the sounds Phantom, SCV and Bluecoats were putting out. This is just my opinion of course. I think would put me off Crown's hornline sound this year were the forte full ensemble moments in the show, it just seems like, especially the high brass, were pushing the sound way too much.

By the way, did you march in Crown this past year?

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

By year -

Devs 2000. Cadets may have won brass that year but Devs (and Phantom and the Cavaliers) had a superior blend to their sound on finals night. BD executed their book the best of any corps brass wise that season, it still remains my favorite BD show that I've seen live.

Cadets 2001. Asside from an error here and there on finals night they were unbelievable. Fantastic brass book and an (IMO) vastly superior sound to what they had the year before.

Devs 2001. Clean, Clean, Clean and with a dang difficult brass book as well.

Cavaliers 2002. Absolutely the best blend and intonation throughout an ensamble that I have ever heard live on a football field. Wether or not you like their hornbook, the sound the corps put out that year was undeniably great.

Devs 2003. Execution, Demand, this hornline had it all. While I disagree with the spread between them and the Cavaliers, it's clear that this was a championship show and hornline.

Cavaliers 2003. Another excelent hornline out of the Green Machine that pretymuch stated their new sound was here to stay. A demanding and fun book to listen to that was performed very well, but the overall show simply had too much demand to be clean enough to keep up with BD.

Devs 2004. A lot of smoke and mirors in their book, but they also had excelent blend and execution. They definitely diserved at least a share of the hornline title that year.

Cavaliers 2004. Bond has never sounded so good. The blend that they had from the past 2 seasons was back and the book had a lot of demand to it. I definitely could have seen them tieing for the horn title that season.

Cadets 2005. A prety difficult book that they executed the heck out of. Wether or not you're a fan of amps or not, it's hard to deny that this corps and this hornline was the best this past season.

overall, for best hornline, I'd give the nod to Cavaliers 2002 with Devs and Cavaliers 04 tied right behind them.

Edited by d_grey

Regarding Crown, I agree that they are not elite yet, but that doesn't mean I'm not impressed. The opener is the best example of what they achieved last year, I think. I remember watching them in person, even more than on the CDs, and the tone quality and blend that they had caused the hornline sound to hit you like a wall. It was a tremendous presence, and all the more great because it was achieved through musicality, not just volume. Like I said, that doesn't mean they're the best of the 00's, but it doesn't mean they aren't doing good things. I can't wait to see where it leads.

Key phrase, while moving...Zzzing!!!

The thing I like about Crown's brass is that more than any other corps, they've shown significant improvement every year for the past several years. They've only just achieved a really pleasant sound, to me anyway, and a lot of that had to do with better arrangements. It's just not consistent yet; still some ugly patches here and there. Like Matt, I look forward to seeing what will happen in the future.

The visual demand that Cavs 03 had WITH the already impressive musical demand was pretty incredible.

BD 04, also very ######.

Not a big Cadets fan, i'll admit, but I really enjoyed their 02 line.

I think BD (2000, 2001, 2003, 2004) and Regiment (2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005) stand out above all others. To pick a single show. hmm. It's a tie for me between BD 2004 and PR 2003(warts and all). Cadets 2005, Crown 2005 and Cavies 2000 deserve props too.

Harvey