Serenade In Brass

Hey everyone...thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Drew Wilkie, and I'm the trumpet soloist in the Cabs ballad this year (Concierto de Aranjuez). This will be my first full year with the Cabs, and I'll be doing so in the upper lead trumpet spot. I've marched junior corps before (upper lead, Cadets 2003), but senior corps, as I've found, is an entirely different animal (in a good way). I'm a 19 year-old music education major at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ, in my fourth semester.

To any trumpet equipment geeks out there that might be curious, I use Laskey mouthpieces (70C (legit), 40S* (lead/commercial)).

Just a quick question to anyone that was in Harrisburg...am I playing this solo correctly??? I want to make sure that when the season hits, people can close their eyes and hear the same solo from years ago. An echo from the past, so to speak. ANY insight would be helpful from former Cabs, or people that have been around the block a few times and have heard this solo performed in the past. I would like to give credit where credit is due when I play this solo.

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Drew Wilkie, and I'm the trumpet soloist in the Cabs ballad this year (Concierto de Aranjuez). This will be my first full year with the Cabs, and I'll be doing so in the upper lead trumpet spot. I've marched junior corps before (upper lead, Cadets 2003), but senior corps, as I've found, is an entirely different animal (in a good way). I'm a 19 year-old music education major at Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ, in my fourth semester.

To any trumpet equipment geeks out there that might be curious, I use Laskey mouthpieces (70C (legit), 40S* (lead/commercial)).

Just a quick question to anyone that was in Harrisburg...am I playing this solo correctly??? I want to make sure that when the season hits, people can close their eyes and hear the same solo from years ago. An echo from the past, so to speak. ANY insight would be helpful from former Cabs, or people that have been around the block a few times and have heard this solo performed in the past. I would like to give credit where credit is due when I play this solo.

Thanks a lot!

alot of people around me wanted to know who you were...yes, they enjoyed your solos...very much !!! I also have a great pix of you will try and get Jeff R to post if here for you ! I think you will have one heck of a ride this season !!! It's only going to get better !

Thanks a lot!

DREW.......Having been a die hard CABS fan since 1960 I will tell you this......to even be considered to be a HAWTHORNE CABALLERO, in any way shape, or form......is to me....

the ultimate in our activity. (at least to me.....Please, no other Corps' take offense).

Let the peers within your corps' be the judge's........BUT....having said that....I think they have already spoken. ENJOY.......(oh ya......ya Kicked ### sat nite) Musta got some O.J. from Frank :wall:

I posted this comment in the reviews... but I'll ask it here as well...

If anyone took any pictures (Tbirds especially), are they going to be posted anywhere? or if you have them and would like to share them, could you PM me please?

Thanks

Frank Ponzo... I know I wasn't introduced to you, but thanks for the Orange Juice!! You offered me some while you were explaining it to Jeff Gibbens!!

Edited by ErieSopMike

Thanks a lot!

Drew, I think we will be asking you for pointers. As for playing the solo correctly. If your playing it, its correct!!!! Nough said! :rock:

Thanks Josh! That means more than you think...

I just want to pay respect to the Cabs that came before us, and the soprano soloists than came before me. I really want to "get it right" for every member, every fan, and every little kid that will see this show. I really want to help create a moment that will last forever in the minds of thousands, as well as bring back memories for those that were here before.

There are a lot of ghosts in those uniforms, and 60 years of family and tradition...it's vitally important to me, that I do it just right.

I just want to pay respect to the Cabs that came before us, and the soprano soloists than came before me. I really want to "get it right" for every member, every fan, and every little kid that will see this show. I really want to help create a moment that will last forever in the minds of thousands, as well as bring back memories for those that were here before.

There are a lot of ghosts in those uniforms, and 60 years of family and tradition...it's vitally important to me, that I do it just right.

Drew...

First of all, it was great to finally meet you. I heard alot about you from many of my friends in the corps...and believe me, it's all good.

Now...if you would like my advise on that solo (coming from one of them who played it in 95...)...and trust me on this.....YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. What you did Saturday night, and how you did it gave me goosebumps and chills for days. As you were playing, I looked at Cos's white hat on the podium, closed my eyes and thought about cos during the whole song.....it was one of his favorites. It brought a tear to my eyes on how you played that, and I KNOW Cos would have been extremely proud of you. Forget about how you want to do it like it once was, and start to think about what you can do to make it YOURS. You are playing GREAT Drew, and don't try to copy what we did before you.....make it your own. Do what you did Saturday night, and you will go down in Cabs history as THE one, and ONLY one who played that solo.

That being said, I really hope you enjoy your time witht he Corps, forever how long it lasts. But I guarantee you that you will now always have a special place in your heart for this corps, and there is no other corps like it....Jr or Sr.

You made me and the Cabs Alumni PROUD Drew......and I am honored to know you!!!

All my best to you in the future with this corps. ENJOY IT!!!!

I posted this comment in the reviews... but I'll ask it here as well...

If anyone took any pictures (Tbirds especially), are they going to be posted anywhere? or if you have them and would like to share them, could you PM me please?

Thanks

Frank Ponzo... I know I wasn't introduced to you, but thanks for the Orange Juice!! You offered me some while you were explaining it to Jeff Gibbens!!

Hey Mike....

It's no problem. Believe it or not, I have been reading alot of your posts, and told myself to keep a look out for you. When I recognized you, I immediately offered you the OJ....I hope it helped!!! This is something that I have just discovered in the past year. And all this time, I thougt it was the specail "bug juice" my friend Bob makes...(ahem.....and all this time, he has been getting me toasted before I go on the field.....). But now I know it is the citrus in the bug juice that gets my juices flowing long enough not to dry out at any time.

Erie had a real nice book and I enjoyed listening to it from the rafters before our performannce. Nice job!!!!

Any time Drew. Frank beat me to it when he said not to worry. You ask any one Cab or anyone else for that matter about any particular solo from any particular year of the Cabs, it will be the soloist who's remembered for it. Although Gordito has a long way to go, LOL when I think of Maria when we played it in 90, Its Frank Ponzo who comes to mind because he brought it to life in only the way he could. Or Pagliacci in 77 only one name comes to mind Gene Marotta. Many people have played the solo in Concerto, each has their own signature and trust me when I tell you, you have done the song, the corps, and youself justice. If anything, its US who should be honored that you choose to march with us. You did wonderful this weekend and it's only gonna get better. Can't wait til we meet again to finish this show. Congrats on a great performance.

Edited by JKatzmellophone

To Josh and Frank--

You guys gave me the chills with your words (just got finished telling Gordito...haha). All I can say is that's it's an honor and privelege to be associated with this family. The pride I feel is beyond description. I will do my best to make you all proud.

Drop me a message on AOL some time....my screen name is drewwilkie86