Why can't The Cadets ( and other Drumcorps ) just be considered Ar

As long as they're within the rules, they can do what they want. All they have to do is answer to the 8 Guys in Green. If voice is bad (and I happen to think it is), it doesn't matter. The BOD has to decide it is.

As The Cadets play within the rules, the discourse about why they are doing a new thing, and how it will play out should indeed be encouraged, not confined. I personally hope that it isn't rewarded as good GE, since the voicing to me doesn't really match well together. It's pretty Enya to me, and seems like oil & water. That's opinion. That's certainly not stopping the Cadets from their plans.

Not to be uncivil about it, but did you expect something other than discussion on a discussion board?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting points and I can't argue with a bunch of them. I don't like 'em but I can't argue. :P

Sounds like you feel DCI should be a free form type of entertainment. In that case do you see DCI as a competative activity? Trying to figure out how corps could be judged with no rules on what or how performances can be done. Scores would be even more subjective than they appear to be today.

Also interesting how the idea of considering the fans seems to have been totally trashed by a lot of corps. Used to be some corps would consider their fans as part of the family. Now if the fans don't like the show they are insulted and treated like they are a bunch of mouth breathers too dumb to understand the show. In short, the "Me Generation" seems to have taken over. (Have seen this in other threads so I'm not picking on you SC, just the idea in general.)

As for me if I don't like it, I don't tell the corps to change the show. hey just no longer see me or get my $$$. There are enough other corps who could use the support.

Note to Rich: I'm cool, I'm civil B)

Also interesting how the idea of considering the fans seems to have been totally trashed by a lot of corps. Used to be some corps would consider their fans as part of the family. Now if the fans don't like the show they are insulted and treated like they are a bunch of mouth breathers too dumb to understand the show. In short, the "Me Generation" seems to have taken over. (Have seen this in other threads so I'm not picking on you SC, just the idea in general.)

I do have to agree here.

A lot of the more recent age outs deride not only those here, but the more "lay person" fan as ones who just don't get it occasionally. I'm sure this isn't truly borne of any perceived lack of intelligence, but rather frustration at not understanding the concepts as they appear to those who were either part of it, or close to the process of creating it. No easy solutions here.

I'm not about to suggest that a music education or visual design degree is a requirement for enjoying and/or debating a shows relative merits, but it oft seems that way to hear it from some. There has to be a visceral drive to enjoying drum corps as well as an intellectual one.

This is what bothers me in some regards to where a lot of drum corps program themselves now. A bit of this tune, a bit of that...enough to show some technical merit, to maximize what the green shirts want....and nothing else. There's still variety out there, but it becomes harder and harder to pinpoint...

Fred J. Miller uniform? Check.

Show concept "inspired by" using several (sometimes upwards of 8-10) pieces of source music? Check

Pre-determined "big drill move after drum break"? Check.

Not to say that all corps do this, but look at the top 12. See the simlarities that exist, for the sake of maximizing those points...almost mechanically.

There's no easy solution to this either. People copy what works, whether its the Cavs GE, the Blue Devils percussion playing, or what have you.

Some of it I can explain for a selfish reason, saying that in my own stilted opinion there's no shows like Madison 1995 or 2002, or Blue Devils 1992 now...ones that just say: "Here it is. We're going to lay this out for you." alongside those groundbreaking shows of Star 1993 and so forth....where there's a happy medium of gut-check, destroy your face shows, and those that require a more deft touch.

I don't know. Everyone sees this differently, so maybe I'm way off. :)

If it's "art", then DCP posters fill the role of "art critics". :blink:

does that mean we are drum corps critcs too

My problem is that whenever Hopkins gets some crazy idea to "innovate" his corps, he consistently seeks to change DCI policy so as to allow his innovation to take place. In effect, forcing a drastic change in the nature of the activity on every other drum corps in the country. He has already done this once when Amps were passed, and has already tried other times since then (saxophones, etc). If Hopkins wants to innovate his corps then fine, but for once....he better leave DCI policy out of it because if I see a rule proposal next year for a voice judge or something like that, Im going to be real pis*ed

My problem is that whenever Hopkins gets some crazy idea to "innovate" his corps, he consistently seeks to change DCI policy so as to allow his innovation to take place. In effect, forcing a drastic change in the nature of the activity on every other drum corps in the country. He has already done this once when Amps were passed, and has already tried other times since then (saxophones, etc). If Hopkins wants to innovate his corps then fine, but for once....he better leave DCI policy out of it because if I see a rule proposal next year for a voice judge or something like that, Im going to be real pis*ed

Maybe even an Amp performance judge

If Hopkins wants to innovate his corps then fine, but for once....he better leave DCI policy out of it because if I see a rule proposal next year for a voice judge or something like that, Im going to be real pis*ed

The soundboard rule this year is already a form of what you speak of here, "tweaking" what's come before.

No argument either way on this, just pointing that out.

I'm pretty sure that other people vote for any change in the rules. Plus, nobody is forced to do anything with their corps.

I'm pretty sure that other people vote for any change in the rules. Plus, nobody is forced to do anything with their corps.

They most certainly aren't forced, you're right.

However, in order to keep up with the rest of the group....more than likely, most will go with whatever new things are available for use.

That's an issue of competitiveness, though...not so much of philosophy of the units director.

It would be nice to see a G-pitched unit out there, or more of the Top 12 unplugged...but that's not going to happen.

Oh well. :)