Who will be at DCA 2006 in Rochester?

Really suprised Mods haven't split this topic off yet

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, don't slam me, but All-age corps is really a community band. It's not tied to a school function, it's not government sanctioned, and the community is who is attending concerts, buying raffle tickets, and getting their cars washed at fundraisers. So why not get other community band type groups involved? I know in DFW there are lots of Community Wind Ensembles, Choruses, Jazz Ensembles, Dance Troupes, etc, that are all-ages. Invite these kinds of groups to your 'show'. Why? Because the kind of people that do these kinds of groups can related to ALL-AGES and Performing arts, these are the kinds of people who would march, or buy a ticket, or tell all their friends about this new type of ensemble that they have heard about.

I think this is a fabulous idea! :laugh:

Good points all around.

I would argue that at least DCM was doing just fine until DCI started poking it with a stick.

Jerald, in one sentence you put it all in a nutshell better than I ever did pontificating in paragraphs!

I agree totally. However, the home show should not be allowed to be torpedoed in it's infancy. Brand new shows that are corps-sponsored usually do not pay performance fees. That's just a fact of life. I think we both know that. By the same token, corps refusing to come because there are no performance fees should NEVER happen. How do you ffix that, keep all the corps happy, and actually keep a region together?

Earlier, I defended Frontier and Gold for not always sticking like molasses to supporting DCA Dixie. I do, however, understand how crucial it is for all the Southern corps to stick together, support each other's shows, etc. The near-future requires that all the DCAS corps figure this out in off-season meetings, wisely and slowly grow the region, and develop shows that sell tickets.

The off-the-wall ideas are great. Smaller units, not necessarily that are from corpsdom, but are well-known in the community, can help to sell tickets, and they are more willing/able to perform for a pittance, all while helping to sell tickets. It's been done by others. Take Hip Pickles, a mini-corps, alumni corps, and entertaining performers who can't even spell drum corps. Whatever works. If Atomic #####wax sells tickets Fendering out Birth to the Earth, book 'em before the Renegades grab 'em for LMS.

The NE corps had to sell their drum corps shows decades ago to their local denizens. Now, the DCAS corps are getting a taste of what they endured many years ago. It will be a slow, agonizing process, endured by a multitude of BoD members. I'm delighted to think of the possibilities.

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Also wanted to add that a 'region' should really be an 8-10 hour radius.

In that light, Frontier isn't in any region

Just because Texas is considered the South, doesn't make DCA-South the automatic closest region

(though Frontier still supports DCA-South, and the other currently competing TX corps GCS is a member, Charter I believe)

Understood, Chris.

And I wouldn't expect you to make a 12-14 hour trip when a 7 hour trip would do.

<jedi>

This is not the issue you are looking for

</jedi>

The west coast DCI thing COULD be a two-edged sword, show-wise, given the earlier post about waiting lists for DCI shows in Texas, for example. If all of DCI is headed west in 2007, I wonder if they will have 'room' for the all-age corps, given the number of DCI corps that will be in the area.

Just wondering....and hoping DCA-West corps admins try and lock in some late-season DCI appearances early on!

MIke

whatever you do, dont allow yourselves to be booked on Sunday...that did the DCA show no favors last year, especially as it was at a site 45 minutes away

The west coast DCI thing COULD be a two-edged sword, show-wise, given the earlier post about waiting lists for DCI shows in Texas, for example. If all of DCI is headed west in 2007, I wonder if they will have 'room' for the all-age corps, given the number of DCI corps that will be in the area.

Just wondering....and hoping DCA-West corps admins try and lock in some late-season DCI appearances early on!

MIke

whatever you do, dont allow yourselves to be booked on Sunday...that did the DCA show no favors last year, especially as it was at a site 45 minutes away

MIke

Boy Mike. When I DO agree with you - I REALLY agree with you. I too sure hope that nobody in the DCA corps out there are sitting on this. It may seem like a long time away right now but it will be here before we know it. Let's not wake up on June 1st 2007 and say "CRAP!!! They forgot about the all aged corps!!!"

agreed. i'd call DCI and say I want to run a show and have both