Corps and internet posting bans.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::shrug::

I just think that people should stop being offended so easily by people's opinions of shows and whatnot. Stop being so sensitive to criticism and dissenters, and you'll enjoy life more.

I totally agree Jared, I work in retail, and some of the people who work there get so worked up over everything and theres so much drama, and i'm just like "chill guys.... its only retail, its not like we're selling organs or anything"

You really think that modern drum corps marchers have the same level of intelligence and integrity as a high school bando? That is a shame. I think a lot of people, both here and on admin teams underestimate the maturity of te people in their organizations. I would extrememly suprised if DCP turned into anything like the aforementioned.

yeah we have the DCA forum for that :P

Wondering if anyone acting like a jerk on RAMD or DCP was ever called for it by corps staff or other members. I've had at least five people come up to me at practice at different times and ask about stuff I've posted. Funny thing is most of them never post, they just read.

Then again I figure I'm safe as long as jeffsnewjetta keeps posting. :P

oh yes, especially in the glory days of RAMD people were called on the carpet. has happened from stuff on here too i am told.

not often but it has happened.

Must have been some trouble maker :P

Something Allee posted got me thinking. Anyone know if any Senior or Alumni corps tell their members not to post or not say who they march with. You don't have to give the corps name just a simple yes will do.

If I got out of line or said something that made my past or present corps look bad, I could see other members or staff giving me Hades but that's all. Yeah right Jeff telling me he thinks I'm out of line ^0^

one corps did about oh, 6 years ago because of the DCA wars on RAMD during 97 amd 98.

i got that changed fast :P

(oh and Jim, get in line or i';ll make Larry bring back the Dream)

::shrug::

I just think that people should stop being offended so easily by people's opinions of shows and whatnot. Stop being so sensitive to criticism and dissenters, and you'll enjoy life more.

yeah, i miss the 80's too.

Haha, I'm just saying, it doesn't really work too well when half of the forum doesn't really care what other people think of their opinions that are being stated, don't take arguments personally, and aren't overly politically correct, and the other side freaks out when someone feels differently when they do, get offended by statements that don't even relate to a product that they've put time into (or even when they do, still disregard the fact that it's an inconsequential thought from someone they'll probably never meet), and feel as if their idealized state of drum corps is the only correct one. The complete difference in interpretations of opinions on DCP leads to people being offended by things that surely shouldn't even matter. I can understand why drum corps means a lot to everyone, but.....read the "Boston show announcement" thread for an example. Who cares??? Aside from the fact that they didn't annouce their show (even though it was already stated months ago that they don't intend on announcing it until they have to) and apparently this honestly bothers some people, why is it worth arguing about how people interpret your thoughts or feelings on it? I guess I just don't understand how people can get so worked up about something that I essentially just interpret as casual conversation.

People like to state that they're "hiding behind computers" on DCP, and that most things that people type on here, they don't think others would say in a real-life conversation. Umm....yes, they would. Who cares if someone doesn't like your show, or they think it was poorly designed (because they didn't "get it," or whatever reason)? If I was having a conversation with someone who marched in the Blue Devils last year, and they asked what I thought of their show, I would tell them. I would applaud their performance of the show, but say that I haven't liked the music arranging for years, the drumline was relatively dirty, and that I didn't care for their concept. Sure there are redeeming qualities, musical moments that I enjoy, and they obviously looked good performing it, but it just wasn't something that personally catered to my interests in a drum corps show. My best friend watched my 2004 show once and didn't like it at all, and I saw his show several times over the summer and didn't like it either. We discussed this, were honest about it, and moved on beyond that. It's just something that you deal with in stride. Every professional deals with criticism, you just need to learn what's truly important and what isn't.

Where DCP comes in.....I'll take an example from the thread about Magic '97. Someone was saying that they really enjoyed it, and I posted that I'm not a huge fan of it. Someone else mentioned the fact that their equipment was awful, and that they were using countless amounts of different makes of horns and things of that nature. DCP gives you more insight into things that you were unaware of....while I still don't like things in the show (music arranging, visual program, etc.), I now have a perception of what the corps had to deal with, and respect them more for that. One thing DCP will provide (at least potentially) is a higher level of respect for what members of drum corps do every summer, to the extent of providing interesting specifics that can give you empathy for another corps situation. That's one of the things I value most about this website; the fact that all the time, I randomly come across information that I otherwise wouldn't have known unless I either a marching member, or friends one. Through DCP, I've learned about the Xmen/Spirit friendship, the fact that the infamous Bridgemen "faint" was originally a joke, the food poisoning that Phantom had to deal with in 2002...all these random little bits of information, whereas its the "little things" on tour that really define what your summer means to you, that can stand to represent what drum corps means to everyone as a whole. Hearing these otherwise insignificant stories, whether you're aware of it or not, give a huge sense of camaraderie, as it really lets everyone know that we basically all go through the same thing to get to the result that we'd otherwise only know from DVD's.

I'm incredibly off topic, but have written so much that it'd be a big waste of time to erase it all. What I think I ORIGINALLY intended on saying, was just that I wanted to encourage people to not take disagreements so seriously. Think of the site as a resource for sharing information and quasi-meaningless stories, rather than a place to express a closed-minded opinion without even caring to hear another side of it. As idealistic and utopic as it sounds, the only reason we're all on this site is to discuss an activity that we all care about strongly. If you don't care about drum corps, then there's really no reason for you to even spend time reading this site. For those of us who do love it (which I'm pretty sure is a vast majority), please just keep in mind that this activity will always be what it means to you as an individual, and getting into a petty dispute just isn't worth it. Everyone takes different things out of their experience with drum corps, so just keep that in mind next time you feel like slamming someone else's opinion.

WOW. I had no idea I was going to write that much. I think...half or so of that was unconscious, because its 3 am, I'm tired, and my brain is warped from being completely immersed in college basketball all day. If any of that is contradictory, inexplicably random, or just generally meaningless, feel free to disregard those sections at will. I THINK (and hope) it came out at least somewhat coherant. :)

after numerous mis-understandings, i have (not alone) came to the conclusion that it is best to tell where you don't march.