Corps and internet posting bans.

I believe not disclosing where you march is being ashamed of your corps. If you feel like you are going to misrepresent your corps, think about what you are writing before posting.

<snip>

Maybe the corps director needs to find a way of screening members' posts before publishing them to DCP instead of banning complete posting.

Well, Allee (sorry, I misspelled your name), I have to disagree with you here..

I don't think that everybody who leaves their corps affiliation off the net is doing it for the reason you're citing here.

I think there are myriad reasons why..

Consider this.. too often, the way you get treated can be a reflection of the way somebody views your corps. If they know you marched in Phantom Regiment.. and you say, "I think Woodwinds would be fine in drum corps" -- don't you think that's going to impact the way they treat you (and your CORPS).. as opposed to if they don't know what corps you marched for? What about if you marched in Cadets? Do you think the responses you'd get would be different? I'm pretty sure they would.. and maybe it's not a huge deal, but it's still an impact.

I contest that there may be folks out there who choose not to list their affiliation NOT because they can't trust themselves to be mature or appropriately represent their corps online (as if it's even their responsibility to do so).. but because they just want to have an opinion.. on their own.. and to have it taken seriously, without regard to who they are or where they might have marched.

And that last comment -- do you really think your corps director needs to add this to his or her list of things they have to do every day?? That's a little much, don't you think? Being in drum corps is about becoming more mature.. that means being given a set of rules and following them without having your hand held the whole way.. WHATEVER those rules are.. if you join a corps and that's their rule, you better find a way to follow it or expect to be asked to leave. IF you don't like that rule, you can leave anytime you want. Life is about choices.. is it worth it to you to stay in that corps even though you have to abide by a rule you don't agree with?

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very interesting thread, because it got me to thinking about things I hadn't considered before.

I have yet to "stereotype" an individual here as a "representative opinion" of a certain corps, or think that if ONE person from ANY corps posts something, that it means that ALL the corps members/staff/organization thinks the same way. (unless of course, it's the Corps Director, or some other head honcho!).

That's one point.

The other point is that I recently discovered that I'm not supposed to be a member of any "blogs" nor discuss matters of politics/current events/U.S. policy/etc due to State Dept policy regarding web/blogsites.

.........oops...............

(pleeaaazzzzeeee don't tell Condi about me here at DCP!!!!!!!!!!)

:sshh:

The other point is that I recently discovered that I'm not supposed to be a member of any "blogs" nor discuss matters of politics/current events/U.S. policy/etc due to State Dept policy regarding web/blogsites.

.........oops...............

(pleeaaazzzzeeee don't tell Condi about me here at DCP!!!!!!!!!!)

:sshh:

Dang!!!! Wonder what Dept of Defense policy is on this....

Hey Rob, I won't tell Condi if you don't tell Rummy... err Mr Rumsfeld SIR... :blink:

my lips are sealed, man!

And I also suspect that DoD is probably far LESS stringent than the State Dept is - I'm an old, 'white male' and non Yale grad conservative ISLAND in a vast, limitless OCEAN of liberal political correctness..........so ya wonder why I'm here........and went through all the crap just to GET into the Foreign Service?

cuz in my heart of hearts, I know they NEED people like me! They need tough, smart, experienced Americans to help conduct U.S. Foreign Policy - and to also remember that we're AMERICANS FIRST, and NOT apologists for America in whatever country they happen to be living in - and quite often "going native" in - oh man, the stories I could tell..............

Edited by RobH

my lips are sealed, man!

And I also suspect that DoD is probably far LESS stringent than the State Dept is - I'm an old, 'white male' and non Yale grad conservative ISLAND in a vast, limitless OCEAN of liberal political correctness..........so ya wonder why I'm here........and went through all the crap just to GET into the Foreign Service?

cuz in my heart of hearts, I know they NEED people like me! They need tough, smart, experienced Americans to help conduct U.S. Foreign Policy - and to also remember that we're AMERICANS FIRST, and NOT apologists for America in whatever country they happen to be living in - and quite often "going native" in - oh man, the stories I could tell..............

I think this is a bit off topic, heh. :)

Not only this, but the whole freedom of speech rule only applies in the United States. The internet is worldwide, not just the United States. Therefore, freedom of speech is non-existent on internet public forums.

I have written numerous times in other forums that any organization that bans its members from being free is making a monstrous mistake. As an adult, I'd tell 'em to stuff it sideways. As a youth, it's tough. I'd hope their parents would jump in.

I work with corps organizations. I try my best to not let my opinions negatively effect any other institution or individuals.

The quote above is interesting. I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest, but I never really looked at freedom of speech as American. I look at it as common sense. Besides, (hornets nest brewing), we don't have freedom of speech in the U.S. If we did, this thread wouldn't exist as there would be no corps members banned from posting. Please, think about that.

I got carried out of a public festival in 2002 by the police for saying three words to an emcee. Seems the Nazi emcee was an off-duty policeman who disagreed with me. I was proud, and I'll do it again.

Fight for freedom of speech! This thread makes me furious. Even the right to be stupid is a right. It's a serious matter and a reflection of what ails America, other nations and the Internet world, not just corpsdom.

Cozy

You really think that modern drum corps marchers have the same level of intelligence and integrity as a high school bando?

YES.

Well, roughly. And "intelligence" doesn't really have much to do with it, in my opinion. I have marched in "a big one" and taught a "big but developing one" for a number of years, and this has been my observation. Its not a knock on them, its just life: people under 21 generally don't have a very good sense of perspective during the best of times, much less when they are passionately attached to something. And I think it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise.

Heck, forget about 21, this would probably go for most adults as well. But at least kids and adults outside the organization are only likely, at worst, to make themselves look foolish, rather than the corps they are commenting on. Members' comments (especially when on the subject of their own corps) can and do reflect on their corps, intentionally or not, disclaimer-signatures or no. That's just how people see them.

I think junior corps directors who explicitly prohibit this kind of thing have the right idea. For some reason I don't really notice this problem with senior/"all-age" corps, even though a lot of them have young members. Although its been years since I've even taken a peek at RAMD...

F.G.

Consider this.. too often, the way you get treated can be a reflection of the way somebody views your corps. If they know you marched in Phantom Regiment.. and you say, "I think Woodwinds would be fine in drum corps" -- don't you think that's going to impact the way they treat you (and your CORPS).. as opposed to if they don't know what corps you marched for? What about if you marched in Cadets? Do you think the responses you'd get would be different? I'm pretty sure they would.. and maybe it's not a huge deal, but it's still an impact.

This is the primary reason I post anonymously.

I aged out in 05 and marched the past few years in a pretty good Div 1 corps....I have a tendency to be pretty blunt and stubborn in my posts, I know it, and thats just how I roll. A looong time ago, under a different screen name, I used to include my marching 'resume' as someone else put it, in my signature. That was less than a stellar idea, as I tend to ruffle a few feathers every now and then. I decided I didn't want to earn a reputation for myself or my corps in a negative light, so now here I am today, posting as a faceless pest on DCP! :worthy::ph34r:

maybe it's just me....

but all I can think about when I read this is that if I'm going to negatively imact an organization I care about, then A-I need to rethink myself and B-is that all the self control I have??

I respect myself AND the GLASSMEN enough that I feel I can post freely without looking like a jerk and making ppl think bad things about me and the corps.

When I was a memeber, I held back more, yes. But, I've got enough self control to know when it's worth it, when it's not, etc.

The day I feel that I need to HIDE my past and my affiliations is the day I need to rethink the words coming out of my mouth.

Maybe it's just me... :worthy: