In 2025, what will they think...?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my age speaking Carl....

When I joined in 1974, people who marched earlier were griping about the changes made in the 70s. Fast forward 30 years and olde phartes (including me with some things) are griping about todays changes. (And people grumbled, griped and B-worded the 30 years in between.) Kinda doubt human nature will change that much in 20 years. :P

Hope folks who have been around for a while got the "in joke", but I should have explained for the younger set.

And I remembered a little more about that comic book. Might have been a Don(?) Draper product. Somewhere I saw a picture drawing of the author and the front of the comic is in the background. Oh yeah, the riot occurred when a (non-emotional) Android corps beat an All Star (emotional) human corps. In the story, folks forgot about emotional shows until they heard one again and they just wigged out.

Name of the human corps was "ManCorps".... Yeah, I remember that and forgot my work badge this morning. :(

I think you all got it right - it was a Drum Corps News comic, but I think it was published around the 1973-74 range. ManCorps v the Android corps, I remember the story line talking about all of the innovations that were implemented leading up to eliminating the human factor in favor of robotics - they even had something about amps worn as backpacks on human corps, and fantastic variations of 'bugles'. After years of unemotional robotic drum corps someone took the huge risk to enter an all 'super' human corps in the championships, who lost by a small margin to the robots and caused a riot - or society revolt. Actually a pretty engaging comic.

Okay, my predictions:

- corps presentations will not be limited to just the field. they will be permitted to enhance the field show with other media in/surrounding the stadium (lights, jumbotron, extra 'members' and visuals in the stands)

- field shows will be conducted on 'floors' like CG, and will permit the use of new flat screen holographic technology to produce background 'depth' to their field presentation.

- fans will be able to 'plug in' to extra synchronized audio/video show features through personal entertainment devices.

- Instead of sponsors on uniforms (which has already happened), there will be commercials at the breaks.

- Uniforms will employ new fabric technology to permit color changes several times during a performance, confusing the fans into not really knowing who they are cheering for.

- The young people of today will be the 'old pharts' complaining about how the 'good old days' were so much better.

Yep that's the story and serializing it in 73-74 would sound right as I didn't get my DCN subscription until 75 or 76. Just remembered the story of the future was being told to a guy in our present. Man from the future was wearing a hood so you couldn't see his face. Turned out the "future guy" was responsible for the changes that lead to the riot/upheaval/wtc.

Big shock ending was finding out the future guy and present guy were the same man.

"Gasp - why are you telling me this??"

"Because.... I am you!!!"

Wow, how many times did I see this on Twilight Zone :P

that's it!!! Man, I thought that story was profound back then. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get it out of my head all these years.

I wish we could get it republished/posted here on DCP -

that's it!!! Man, I thought that story was profound back then. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get it out of my head all these years.

I wish we could get it republished/posted here on DCP -

Ditto... More I think about the comic book version I saw, the more I remember. There was also a one or two page bit about how Championship corps seem to be moving west. Started with Blessed Sac and Boston, then Madison and Cavies, currently (at the time) BD and SCV. Last picture was a Don Martin (MAD magazine) drawing of a bunch of guys in grass skirts and the caption was (kinda). "If this keeps up the Champ in 20 years will be the Pago Pago Islanders"......

When I get a chance I'll ask NanciD if she has the early 70s DCNs. I've been following her DC history blog but she is still working on 1962. Hope to see her at the Harrisburg Forum Saturday.

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/