Fun Retreat Stories

Thought it'd be fun to do some retreat reminiscing.

The story I have comes from 2004 (obviously). I don't remember the show, but at retreat we (Cap Reg) were positioned right next to Madison, and the Cavies were on the other side of them.

Now, everyone knows that the Cavies screw around in retreat block...and Madison stays stone cold as a statue.

Well, some of the Cavies guys started yelling over to Madison, trying to get an answer. Asking questions "Hey! Do you guys talk in retreat??" and just generally having a blast while Madisons players just stood and stared straight ahead.

Well, finally, a couple of Cavies go "Man, Madison is no fun. Hey! Capital! Do YOU guys talk in retreat!!"

Technically, the answer to that question was "no", because our staff was made up of Cadets alum who didn't want us screwing around. But a few decided to answer back and they had a conversation with Madison in the middle.

The whole thing just struck me as hilarious. I wish I knew what Madison was thinking the whole time.

I was always appalled at Cavies retreat ettiquette. Now I am biased but some of the things I heard in my two years would make just about anyone blush.

1991 we had a pet goldfish on tour that passed away somewhere in kentucky. That night, one of our contra players buried it on the field during retreat and our drum major stopped and gave a salute as he passed. Also, i believe it was in 92, our contras decided to to take their horns apart and scatter all of the parts behind out block.

Edited by Fishbone

Not really a funy story, but a kind of cool one. This year at Grand Finals in Boston ECJ/Spartans' drum lines, instead of making separate arcs in their five yard areas made one big integrated arc along the whole ten yards. It was pretty cool to turn backfield and see a whole bunch of Spartans and ECJers together.

I'm trying to think of funny stories, but I don't really have any... might have more if DCI hadn't done away with full retreat at shows...

The location slips my mind...I THINK it was on 2nd tour in 84.

We're in the retreat block and suddenly I see DM Brent Kline come cruising up one side of the block...not at a run, but a fast march....and the look on his face ws tight lipped as all get out.

I rememebr muttering "Brent....where are you going?" but he ignored be and continued behing the corps.

Then we heard the unmistakable of someone puking....hard. Then he comes back down gthe block at a much sloer rate and much more relazed posture.

How he EVER hurled and didn't get a spot on his nice white uni I'll never know! I think the mai tai shot from before teh show got to him.

I got one for ya Sam...

1978 or 79 ... somewhere... I think actually DCI Denver so it had to be '78. I'm in Guardsmen, and we're walking off the field. A few Devil guys

from the drumline are making fun of our tall shako's, and one of them takes another guys shako and puts it on his, then puts it on his head.

I may have told you that before, but I can still see the BD guy with two shakos on his head in my mind... we were laughing, too.

Another retreat memory I have was at a show in Indiana someplace... 1978. SCV wore Slingerland shirts that night instead of their uniforms

for some reason. They were out there, and then didn't leave! The marched around the track like 10 times after the show. Not sure what was

going on there...

2004, Troy State show.

We were at that show with CoH, and a bunch of Div. 1's. Well that night at retreat we were next to BD. Awesome times. BD's hornline was talking to us the whole time asking about our show. We got some "#### yeahs!" When they found out we were playing Dream Theater. Our contra line that year would spin the horns up in a ripple. We got a few cat calls for doing that. All in all it was cool to have that kind of interaction even though I imagine some of the staff didn't like how lax we were.

Back in 1993 we were at a show (I want to say it was DCI South regionals, but I could be wrong) and we were blocked up next to a corps who I won't name. We had a very tall, very strong cymbal player (he was like 6'3 easy) who apparently had a bit of the clumsy that night. Well, as he went to put his cymbals down it got a mind of its own and rolled like a wheel over into the other corps block and just fell over in front of their drumline (This was back when it was not very cool to be skirtin the line of another corps block out of respect and all). You could see that they were not impressed, until they looked over and saw our monster of a cymbal player :) Instead of saying anything they simply slid the cymbal back across the yard line to our drumline, never making eye contact :)