Electronics

I have pasted a paragraph from my post on the "props" thread and added to it to hopefully develope some new discussion on the subject of electronics. This is probably the issue I am the most unstable on in my opinions just because it is such a "fine lined" subject. Therefore, I doubt that I will really "debate" the issue. I almost feel as though I'm not even well equiped to do so even if I wanted to.

Nevertheless, here is where I currently stand on the issue...

Things like electric props and plug in mallet instruments are why I am in favor of electronics. However, I do think that if "electronics" were ever legalized - there should be some boundries.

My suggestions would be...

Electric props - OK.

Reason - Props have been allowed for as long as I can remember. Allowing them to be enhanced in ANY way would only further their effectiveness.

Bass guitars - Not OK.

Reason - Falls under "stringed instruments" which would change the nature of the "drum corps activity".

Synth - OK

Reason - Falls under "keyboard" instruments which is technically what a mallet instrument is and has been accepted for as long as I can remember. Allowing a synth would only further what has already been a long time part of the drum corps idiom.

Guitars - Not OK.

Reason - Stringed instrument

Piano- OK

Reason - Keyboard instrument.

I understand that there is room to debate some of this. Some may argue that "mallet" instruments also fall under the "percussion" family and right that arguement is. However, it's nature in what it's role is in the context of the music is closer to that of other keyboard instruments, IMO. Plenty of room to disagree. Doubt I will get too crazy in debating this because there are fine lines and great points on both ends. I will probably just enjoy reading some of the responses and differing opinions and hopefully even be open to learning a few things myself in this very controversial issue. :) Who knows, as fine lined of an issue as this is, my opinion might even change after reading some other points of view. I definitely consider this probably my "easiest for opinion change" type of issue in the "what is drum corps and what is not drum corps" types of discussions.

Thoughts???

I'm really anxious to read some responses to this. :) Especially since I really have not read much on this subject on DCP. Most of the subjects I have payed the most attention to have been "amplification" and "woodwinds". It seems like this one is often shoved under the table. Perhaps because many of you may even have similar "mixed emotions".

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I say 'yes' to all of them.

Reason? While guitars are stringed instruments, they also fit into the rhythm section of a jazz ensemble, so I say..sure...go for it!

...then again, I also think ANY stringed instruments wold be great. ^0^

One area that trips me up is that you can "patch" any type of instrument sound with a synth while not actually USING the instrument itself. Which puts me beside myself because on the one hand I think "NO...I don't want those timbres in drum corps because they would take away from the beauty of the unique sounds of brass and percussion".

On the other hand, I say "why not just USE the synth for the use of those timbres so that people like Mike D can have "woodwind and string" sounds without having to drastically change the main family of instruments used in drum corps"?! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Edited by torn8o

No to all except for piano.

I would have no problem letting pianos introduced to drum corps. I think the piano conveys a certain sound to a piece that would make it sound more soft and relaxing. But then again I wouldnt like to hear Elton John on the field either.

So maybe I dont want piano in drum corps. Looks like im in the same situation as you. :sshh:

Edited by bd euph some day

It really is a HARD issue, isn't it? What makes it so hard is the issue of "definitions" becomes a finer line than with the "woodwinds vs brass" debate. Nobody is going to argue that a "saxaphone" is NOT a part of the brass family. BUT...it's harder to define whether a "marimba" is more of a "keyboard instrument vs a percussion" and thus - whether it is more in the family of a synth or a bass drum. This is a TOUGH subject to make heads or tails of.

Edited by torn8o

Well, when I was in school, I was taught that the piano is a percussion instrument because the strings are struck by a hammer to make a tone. The same reason the marimba and related instruments are allowed. But who wants to lug a grand piano around?

The synth and/or electric piano, however, are an entirely different beast. They aren't an acoustic instrument and therefore need electronics to be heard. And as was stated before, you can patch in different sounds with a synth. A big no-no in my book. B)

I don't see the point for any of it..I say... ampssuck

If I want to see a guitar or any of those other instruments I'll go to a rock concert or a symphony.

Edited by Lancerlady

no thanks.

drum corps was doing fine without it 3 years ago.

~>conner

No to all. Anything that makes a DCI show look more like BOA Grand Nationals is pretty bad in my book. BOA's excessive reliance on props, singing, giant tarps, and other "non-performer-skill" gimmicks, should be a guidebook of what NOT to do.