Best chord of all time?

89 phantom, chords before the last fast tempo change and block pass through, i'll think some more about others

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV - their Carmen show in '90 - the chord they play from the exit tunnel at the end... pure magic not so much from a performance standpoint as a goose-bump design moment

For something a little more obscure, try Blue Stars '72, about 5:12, the last chord of Scarborough Fair before starting into Norwegian Wood. That's a chord that can clean the plaque off your speakers.

Not having looked at any other replies within this thread, my three faves:

-Final statement from Blue Devils 1994 as they're marching to the back sideline right before the pit solo

-Big hit from "Fire of Eternal Glory", Phantom 1993

-End of First Symphony, Second Movement from Phantom 1996

Well, I do have to disagree respectfully that it's a fact something was inherently wrong with the old form. I just had my kitchen repainted. It didn't have to be done, but I wanted to freshen things up and wanted a new color. The old color wasn't wrong...I was just tired of it.

This is an excellent point that I feel gets lost in the argument on change. I can understand both sides. There are those that will say "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it." If nothing is wrong then why do we feel the need to change it. However, this activity is largely a creative one. It's an activity in which artists create in order to come up with fun, entertaining, even interesting show concepts and designs. Change will happen because the people who are doing the creating will get bored with the same old, same old, and as artists they are always looking for something new to bring to the table.

And not to be too general, but many young people today who march drum corps seem to like the new style. This is their generation of drum corps. I was an 80s guy (still am), and no matter how much change I see, I continue to find myself most attracted to the 80s corps. For others it is the 70s or the 60s, but today's creative teams are writing for today's kids, and their styles reflect today's ideals and styles. As with any generation, change will happen for various reasons. It sometimes happens because we are looking for a better way, and other times because something isn't working. But sometimes it just happens, and not because anything is wrong, but because the human spirit that resides in all of us, and certainly in creative types, just needs something different. And as always, this change will be welcome by some and not so welcome by others. There was never a time when drum and bugle corps was perfect, and there never will be.

one of my favourite chords has to be the signature Jim Prime chord he used with Garfield and Star....(Garfield 83, the end of Rocky/Holiday and in 84 at end of Tonight after the z pull) Star 86 at end of CloseEncounters and again in 87 after the keyboard intro into Porgy and Bess overture.

Pick a chord, pick a year, pick a corps, as long as it was written by Jim Prime.

[correction: Star '87 was the Circus o' Blood. Star '88 was Porgy & Bess]

Here is my top 5, not necessarily in order

1. 2004 Cavaliers (8:39 in the finals video)

2. 1996 Phantom Regiment (10:20 in the finals video) (the amazing chord build, you all know it)

3. 2003 Phantom Regiment (11:22 in the finals video)

4. 1993 Phantom Regiment (8:12)

5. 2006 Blue Devils (11:23, the final chord in the show... listen for the trumpets on count 9)