DCA Corps Traveling

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot Carolina Gold. They're out of the area AND they made finals this year.

So, at least 4 non NE corps made finals in 2005.

4 out of 10 ain't bad.

It certainly seems ridiculous that Gulf Coast Sound and Minnesota Brass are considered to be in the same region (DCA-Central) while Reading Buccaneers and Shenandoah Sound are considered to be in different regions (NE and South). If there is a need for a more manageable (i.e. smaller) region, then something should be done to make that happen, or happen faster.

Gulf Coast Sound is a member of DCA-South not Central. Frontier is a member of DCA-Central I believe. Doesnt really put us any closer to our regional competitions but when the Austin Stars get up and running and Prairie Sound also that will be 3 corps in TX and one just up the road in KS. Its a start to a region.....and if Crosswinds and Masquerade ever get off the ground in Oklahoma and Shreveport then that makes 6 all within a relatively short distance from each other. Dunno what you would call it....DCA-Mid South maybe?

Gulf Coast Sound is a member of DCA-South not Central. Frontier is a member of DCA-Central I believe.

Oops, sorry. Musta gotten them mixed up.

Thanks for the correction, Mark.

I can remember "way back" reading DC News and World and only knowing...Skyliners, Caballeros, Buccaneers, Westshoremen, Crusaders,Yankee Rebels, Hurricanes, and then add Hanover Lancers, Hamburg Kingsmen, Johnsonburg Diplomats, Erie Thunderbirds, Sunrisers, Guelph Royalaires, Rockets, and maybe a few more. All these corps were in the North East. In 1974 the Boy's of 76 from WI started coming to DCA. It wasn't unti 1985 that MBI came on the scene.

Then came Heat Wave in 1997, Corpsvets in 2000 and then renegades after that. Now there is a huge growth for DCA and they, I don't think, were ever ready or prepared for this to happen.

Boys actually first came in in 1970

The following is the opinion of a North Eastern fan.

The north east corps’ don't control the activity, they merely influence DCA. The activity goes on, with or without DCA, as evidenced by the proliferation of corps outside the northeast. Your groups have chosen to participate in DCA because that’s where the game is, not because DCA was going to help build the activity in your area; that’s your responsibility.

Now if your goal is to get into the top ten just to get a voting right to move DCA’s activities, I ask please don’t bother. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of self serving corps’ pull apart the DCA organization just so they could force DCA’s activities down the block.

Remember, DCA welcomed all corps, even at the peril of some of the old guard. If you want to motivate the Northeast corps’ to travel, create something in your own areas that would make them want to travel. Don’t obtain a voting right to force them to travel, because you’ll just create the same conditions that caused DCA to come to exist in the first place. Don’t make history repeat itself. Those of you not familiar with the history of DCA’s creation should speak with some of the old members of the Skyliners, Caballeros, Huricanes, and Sunrisers. If anything, I bet Jeff Ream could give you the circumstances under which DCA was created. Ten bucks to you if you know who Lefty Mayer was and can identify his involvement in DCA’s creation.

hot #### i win $10 bucks!!!

Boys actually first came in in 1970

You are right! Sorry

Which.....ironically enough......has been held in Williamsport, Pa, Northeastern U.S.A for nearly 60 years. :D

You don't hear Taiwan cryin', do ya???

only when they get caught for overage players

You are right! Sorry

not a problem.

MBI i believe first came in 1975. even after the travesty of 87 they keep coming in.

i thank them every year

not a problem.

MBI i believe first came in 1975. even after the travesty of 87 they keep coming in.

i thank them every year

MBI at least in the late 70s for DCA. Even saw a few listings for MBI in the early 70s for RCA shows in srcorps.com.

1977-1979 MBI and Chicago Connection were the "far west" :P part of DCA. ChiConn also came "east" to Canton, OH (western half of OH) for a Saturday night DCA show in 78 and 79. Can't remember if they did the next days afternoon show in Erie or went home.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari