Should DCI release 13-21 place Legacy DVD?

Might be something to find out...and, hey, it could be an entire new line of stuff for you to write liner notes for. :)

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to have video of the Squires, Avant Guard, Seattle Imperials, Greece Cadets and so many other great corps that never made the top 12.

There are some great musical and visual treats delivered every year that do not appear on Saturday night. Often these corps take risks in design and programming that the more conservative top 12 shy away from.

Wouldn't it be great if there were an accessible archive of all extant recordings and films from the earliest corps to the present? Much of this is in private hands at present. This activity needs a Drum Corps Smithsonian.

I don't know this as a fact, but I wonder how many of these shows were even professionally recorded in the same way that finals was professionally recorded. They all were recorded for the LPs/cassette tapes/DVDs, but were they recorded visually in the same way?

I have the 80 and 81 prelim performances as we did not make finals that year. It was not professionally done. Simply a video camera in the stands recording the show.

As a side note - things sure have changed since that era of Prelims and Finals. On the video people are coming and going throughout the performances of the corps. Concession folks walking the aisle selling soda and popcorn. People talking and having a good time during the performances. I would have to say that from those videos, prelims must have been more like a festival than and actual competition performance to those in the stands watching the show.

yes,Yes, and YES

For Every Year, as there are many good performances over the years in the 13-25 (21) placing corps.

Edited by Zeke

'87 Crossmen. I knew then that they would soon be back in the top 12. That drumline was on fire. I believe they placed in the top 12 at semis.

'87 Dutch Boy. I saw them at an affternoon show in Atlanta in August. Only three corps went on before the show was cancelled due to so many fids passing out from the heat. It was a hot day but I think a lot of the heat came from DB's show. That was the year of their rebirth as a "Vegas" corps, the first year they played My Way. I can still remember the first hit. Just a fantastic show that was followed up by an equally great show.

'89 Spirit. Yes I said '89 Spirit. That show kicked *** and you know it. All I have is a recording, and while I have good memories of that summer, as opposed to the previous year.

'91 Spirit. Glory. Rope drums. 'nuff said.

'91 Colts. I liked that show so much I went out and bought some Yanni CDs.

'92 Troopers. I have only heard the show. The loudest crowd reaction ever, per volume of people in the audience. You can hear the Sunburst. From there it goes into Ghost Riders in the Sky.

'91 Southwind. Their first couple of years I was like "okay. They're a nice little corps." I was not expecting much in '91. I got a lot. My favorite A60 show, and I think one of the best.

I don't know this as a fact, but I wonder how many of these shows were even professionally recorded in the same way that finals was professionally recorded. They all were recorded for the LPs/cassette tapes/DVDs, but were they recorded visually in the same way?

i believe many of them were from 1980 on. unsure abut the 70's

i'd like to add 89 and 91 Spirit, 92 Southwind and 01 Spirit