Blast!

So we aren't allowed to have an opinion? Wow. I guess the audience is just supposed to sit there and lap it up as long as it has value for YOU?

Of course you can have an opinion. Just realize that there are ways to word your opinions in such a way that are not as offensive. Making a comment like "when will this nightmare end" (or whatever it was you said) implying that Blast is a nightmare (or at least that's how I took it) is just not cool to those of us who have been a part of it.

I know, easier said that done sometimes and I am certainly guilty of making offensive statements myself. But, I'm also not surprised when someone reacts with offense. You obviously were surprised at my reaction (as you stated in your first response). Why? I was in Blast and you made a negative comment about it. Of course I'm going to react. Human nature.

It's all good.

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow...all I see is drama in this thread.

Everything is going to affect different people in different ways. The main thing is to be respectful of each other. You can be respectful and still have your opinions.

But, in the long run, does it really matter? I think it's pretty messed up that you guys are squibbling over something so petty. Some guy just wanted to know if Blast planned on continuing the show for a while. Then someone had to go and make an off color comment and then someone had to RESPOND and start up a pointless debate.

Even if you converted people over to your side of the view, who cares? It's not a life and death matter. Chill out. Go enjoy some vids of your favorite shows, take a walk around the park, go bowling...enjoy life.

wow - amazing reaction! :huh:

Star on the field meant a great deal to many people - including the marching members... And it wasn't monetary in nature - so selfish greed and personal profit wasn't the factor. That organization pushed the entire envelop of what was possible on a football field and we are all better for it. 128 members marched each season and benefited from the experience and exposure to excellence the Star Organization provided them. Not greed - benefit.

I am certainly glad you benefitted (financially) from your experience with Blast!

But from an artistic value perspective I just feel the "marching band on a stage" approach has really run its course. That's all.

I value your opinion. But before you take the idea that "marching BAND on stage" has run its course, go jump across the pond to Japan where this show as well as other productions have blown up like wild fire.

Oh, and another thing...the money in BLAST! is good...but we're not in it for the money. We are PROFESSIONAL musicians and dancers. You don't go into the arts to become a millionare. You do it because you LOVE TO DO IT.

Thanks!

Holy cow...all I see is drama in this thread.

Everything is going to affect different people in different ways. The main thing is to be respectful of each other. You can be respectful and still have your opinions.

But, in the long run, does it really matter? I think it's pretty messed up that you guys are squibbling over something so petty. Some guy just wanted to know if Blast planned on continuing the show for a while. Then someone had to go and make an off color comment and then someone had to RESPOND and start up a pointless debate.

Even if you converted people over to your side of the view, who cares? It's not a life and death matter. Chill out. Go enjoy some vids of your favorite shows, take a walk around the park, go bowling...enjoy life.

You are right. I shouldn't have even responded. It's just hard not to when you feel that something you value is being attacked. I'm not bothered by someone posting an opinion that they don't particularly like Blast. Different strokes for different folks and I'm cool with that. It's when the whole "Star Of Indiana shouldn't have left the field" thing starts being brought up and especially when packed with sarcastic one liners that I start to get real defensive. Wouldn't you say that's only natural?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I saw Blast for the 2nd time a few weeks ago in Fresno. We both still loved and didn't think it lost anything. We also took my mom who hadn't seen it yet. In fact, I don't think she's seen a drum corps show at all since I aged out in '85. But I'm rambling...

She LOVED it!

Edited by skajerk

its not a corps or a competing corps...its a broadway show and they are selling tickets...."CATS" eventually got worn and went....when tickets sales slow, then they will go.

funny, most movies out of hollywood are of the same breed, worn and tired with cliche rehashed scripts, but yet the unthinking, unreading public lines up like drones to dish out their $10 or €6 for them.

here is a simple solution...if you dont want to see it, then dont. but because you think it has run its course, dont think they are packing their bags. I saw Blast! in its first season and we loved it...very innovative and interesting concept. kudos for star of indiana once again pushing the envelope...we need them back in drum corps though...things are getting stale.

Edited by walder

Is there any reason that there can't be both Blast and Star of Indiana? I think that there are enough musicians AND fans to go around. Live and let live, or as Ricky Skaggs says, Spread the Love.

Is there any reason that there can't be both Blast and Star of Indiana? I think that there are enough musicians AND fans to go around. Live and let live, or as Ricky Skaggs says, Spread the Love.

There is a reason.

Jim Mason has no interest in bringing Star back to the field.

He owns the Star of Indiana name.

Edited by WoobieATL

Jim Mason owns the Star of Indiana name? Interesting. Can you tell us how that came to be?