Carmina Burana?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1989, when Limited Edition played Carmina Burana, we received our performance and mechanical rights after the end of the season with the stipulation that we would never perform our arrangements again. European American Music said the the Orff Estate did not allow groups to rearrange Carmina Burana. I am not sure if that stance has changed or if bands and other corps have simply not asked permission.

That year, our hornline got together with the Blue Stars' hornline at the parade in Madision and played a bit of "O Fortuna". In 1989 the Blue Stars finished 1st in A-60 and Limited Edition finished 2nd in A (24th in Open Class). The sound of these two hornlines was pretty awesome. It was definitely one of those "drum corps goosebump moments."

Edited by btracht

Very off topic, but I once heard a reggae of The Eagles' "Hotel California." I still haven't fully recovered... :(

That post made me think of the Big Lebowski. :blink:

I think it might be easier for corps to get permission to arrange. It's harder for bands because Hal Leonard(I think it is them?) has an arrangement for marching band and that is the only arrangement the Orff family will allow on the field for marching bands. And not a lot of BOA bands use stock arrangements.

All this talk of what the Orff family will and won't allow makes me curious to know how Northmont got their arrangement. Did they use a stock version? Did they strike some sort of deal? I purchased a CD with their recording on it, does that CD violate copyright? Does anyone familiar with the organization know?

I think it might be easier for corps to get permission to arrange. It's harder for bands because Hal Leonard(I think it is them?) has an arrangement for marching band and that is the only arrangement the Orff family will allow on the field for marching bands. And not a lot of BOA bands use stock arrangements.

That is correct...there is currently an arrangement (I believe by Ralph Ford?) that Hal Leonard publishes, so they don't normally allow any other arrangements. Which baffles me, since they are likely to make more money off of an arrangement permission than they are selling the show (each piece is about $50, and I think there are 4-5).

Frankly, the Ford arrangement of it leaves me cold. It's not that it's not well-crafted, because it is. All the instrument choices and textures are just fine, but the movements chosen to arrange into a show are kinda blah. I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph had specific orders from HL or the European publisher on which movements to arrange.

A few years ago the high school I taught did Carmina Burana, and I wrote the arrangements, and actually sent them to European-American Music Distributors to see about getting them published, as I feel that my arrangements were -quite frankly and arrogantly- better than what Hal Leonard was publishing. The music was returned without a glance at it (or a listen to the CD) saying that no other marching arrangements would be published, and the Hal Leonard arrangement would be the definitive one. Yuck.

FWIW, the show I arranged was titled "Wheel of Fate: Five Sketches on the Carmina Burana by Carl Orff," and included the following movements:

Part One: Introduction/Oh Fortuna - Fortuna Plango Vulnera

Part Two: Estuans Interius - Si puer ### puella

Part Three: Were die werlt alle min

Part Four: In trutina

Part Five: Ave Formossissima / Oh Fortuna

We sang the "Oh Fortuna" theme in four-part harmony. :P

At least one current DCPer marched that show, and I think 3-4 probably saw/heard us do it...I'd be interested in your opinion of it. We were not a competitive band (rehearsed only once a week), but I think the kids did a great job with it.

Maybe I'll dust it off and try to pester Hal Leonard/EA Music with it again. It's very faithful to the originals (I don't change the key much, I've always believed that unless it's in an impossible-to-tune key, it should be kept in the original key or it loses flavour), and it's no more choppier than the current published arrangement.

(I'll keep dreaming, as I know how anal retentive Hal Leonard has gotten about arranging rights...sigh)

Disclaimer: None of the above

Edit: I find it funny that DCP censors C-U-M in one of the titles above. Sheesh...this is why I have a problem with word filters.

Edited by Tsar Nikk

If you notice from the previously posted list, alot of the corps that played it were from back in "The Dark Ages", before DVD, CD, etc... sales were a big thing. Back then, (at least through when I aged out in 81) copyright permissions were something that nobody ever thought about. If you wanted to play a piece, you arranged it and did it. Heck, in the 70s, every other corps on the field was playing something by Chuck Mangione, and copyrights of his stuff were never an issue. C.M. actually became quite the Drum Corps fan (B.D. performed with him) and even credited Drum Corps with helping his rise to popularity.

It wasn't until all the sales of recordings started getting big and money was being made that this ever became an issue.

Just my $.02 :)

I picked something up on another thread that throws some light on music rights. Can’t find the thread again, but the source seemed credible at the time.

You are correct – back in the day we didn’t worry about rights and fees. But that’s not because it was pre-CD. (You MUST be old enough to remember LP records. You know, those black vinyl disks that played by dragging a needle across the surface?) Rather it was because we didn’t use chromatic instruments. The music industry wasn’t interested in pursuing arrangement fees where the arrangement was “crippled”.

When the third valve was added, the licensing police appeared.

I picked something up on another thread that throws some light on music rights. Can’t find the thread again, but the source seemed credible at the time.

You are correct – back in the day we didn’t worry about rights and fees. But that’s not because it was pre-CD. (You MUST be old enough to remember LP records. You know, those black vinyl disks that played by dragging a needle across the surface?) Rather it was because we didn’t use chromatic instruments. The music industry wasn’t interested in pursuing arrangement fees where the arrangement was “crippled”.

When the third valve was added, the licensing police appeared.

Yoy pretty much nailed it!

And Oh yeah, I still have all the old vinyl......including all my Dad's old 78s from the 50s and 60s!! Got records of corps that alot of people here probably never heard of!

(not a slam folks!, just have tons of old Drum Corps records!) :)

Im entreagued to know how any corps who has done music from Carmina Burana has been able to get the rights to it, thats if they even did ... The Orff Family is VERY VERY anal about the work being performed ouside of a orchestral or ballet setting.

on a side note next month will be my 2nd time singing Carmina Burana this year alone so far.

The Orff family is just ###### off at the world because they were all born with big ##### and acne problems.

Besides, listening to Carmina Burana (to me at least) is akin to snorting ocean salt water.

Hmm...my high school marching band played that my sophomore year.... :blink: