Corps watching Corps

i remember marching, and then near the end of the season getting to see a tape of the show.. and thinking.. wow.. i never knew that happened..

I marched two years ago and I still had that reaction after seeing it on tape for the first time after the season was over.

I never really minded missing other corps shows. Plus, I think that time could be better spent rehearsing or just hanging out with friends in the lot (sometimes you have to get away from it all together).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a GREAT idea that should be explored.

Something similar happened with the Tour of Champions in 2004 - where several corps (Cavs, BD, Cadets, Phantom, Madison, and Vanguard) traveled from Denver to California and performed in 3 field shows and a theater presentation. Enroute, they stopped and rehearsed for a day or so in Utah, and from what I heard - it was a magical experience for all that were involved. Combined rehearsals ... time to see one another's shows ... and a round-up of the kitchens - where members could eat off any of the 6 kitchens there, sampling one-another's goods.

I was lucky enough to see all FOUR of the performances that week .... and I have to tell you, it was an incredible experience.

I'd sure like to see DCI could pull something that cool off again soon ..... HINT, HINT.

-john

Wow, that is the complete opposite of the view I had when I was marching. My thing is that I'm a fan first. If I wasn't absolutely awestruck with drum corps I couldn't have done it. The fact that I'm such a fan of drum corps in general is part of what made marching so wonderful for me. So now I can sit back and watch a corps put on a great show and say, "Yeah, I did that."

well, I've never had a chance to be a fan. I was auditioning for a spot in a corps about 2 months after I found out drum corps existed. And I've been a performer ever since.

During the summer, I usually stay away from watching other corps perform because there are usually a number of things I need to do or could be doing for/with my corpsmates. Loyalty is to my corps.

And as for the person who said something about being able to see the competition and realize that you really need to get to work... I don't really follow that philosophy because my goal from the very beginning is perfection. And if you're perfect, who can beat you?

Although, I will say I have watched a couple of shows in the past after performing and I am glad I was able to see some of those shows live because they've become some of my favorite shows. And sometimes a recording doesn't do a show justice!

In short... We only have until we're 21 (or 22) to be a performer, but we are able to be a fan for many years after that.

well i know my corps (magic) did that at the bristol rhode island parade we didn't get to watch each other perform but like someone threw a projector together and ran DCI classic countdown '05 on the side of a box truck and i remember eating a little bit of crossmen and phantoms food while watching the cadet's "we are the future" show and filling in some new stuff in my dot book but mostly just having a good time.

but i agree the activity should have more stuff like this.

well, I've never had a chance to be a fan. I was auditioning for a spot in a corps about 2 months after I found out drum corps existed. And I've been a performer ever since.

*snip*

Same here. I've been to a grand total of one drum corps show, which was when I traveled to Chesapeake, Va last June to see a friend who was marching Crossmen. 4 months later, I was auditioning. That was my first exposure to drum corps, and since I'm hopefully marching this year and every year until I age out(DCI c/o 2011), I most likely won't be able to spectate for quite a while. But I'm cool with that. Like you said, I have the rest of my life to spectate.

DIV 2/3 used to have a large picnic with all of the corps, do they still do that? Maybe that was when finals was on Wed.

I think late in the season most corps do not want to miss any practice time to socialize, especially killing a whole or half day. Also, If most corps went to a social function, a few corps would stay behind and rehearse, given them an advantage going into finals.

I think it might be a good thing if it were a seperate event, not at a contest. I am against watching other groups while a competitor.

well i know my corps (magic) did that at the bristol rhode island parade we didn't get to watch each other perform but like someone threw a projector together and ran DCI classic countdown '05 on the side of a box truck and i remember eating a little bit of crossmen and phantoms food while watching the cadet's "we are the future" show and filling in some new stuff in my dot book but mostly just having a good time.

but i agree the activity should have more stuff like this.

Hey New Skool, I remember that night. It was one of my favorite days on tour. I believe it was someone from Crossmen who put the projector up. I had some of Crossmen's food as well as our own. I think we as a corps saw others perform at other shows depending what time we went on. One of those shows was Cadets during the early season. I personally made it a point to see certain shows because I like to have that appreciation for other corps. However, during Finals Week I spent most of my time in the lot with friends.

In Beverly, MA Crossmen, Cadets, and Magic were all housed at the same site with an olympic-sized gym. We watched Cadets' final run through before heading to the show site that night.

SCV and BD used to socialize quite a bit, including a cruise around SF bay each year (do they still do that?) One of my favorite experiences was when we had a free day in Ohio and there was a show near the amusement park where we had spent the day. Most of the corps went to see the show that night and when SCV performed we got down close to the field and cheered like crazy, calling out the names of our friends etc. I don't think they knew we were there until they saw us while they were performing. It was very cool.

i think seeing other corps on tour is great....it gives you something else to look at than the show you've been perfecting for so long.

and, as tomkins points out, it does help to fuel the fire a little :P

Simple question:

If you could see a corps like Cavvies, Phantom Regiment or BD for FREE at a show, are you really going to turn that down?