The Blue Knights are unpopular

again, i think it's just that too often, they take cool tunes and just play with too much control.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the Jim Ott banner. :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

Bit of a cheap shot there, eh?

If I recall, Spirit and Blue Knights swapped turns scoring higher than one another a few times earlier in the 2003 season, and in their last two head-to-head competitions before Orlando (Columbia and Allentown), Spirit scored higher. So no, don't blame it on a banner.

Maybe, just perhaps, the kids in Spirit out-performed the kids in Blue Knights on the night of semifinals.

Yes, but drum corps wasn't only made for the people watching it live. With recordings and video of these performances, the subtle, nuanced performances become some of the ones that are favorites long after the season is over. They grow in importance. At least they do to me.

BK's got a cool design aesthetic. How about those hand-painted silks they used for a couple of years?

:peek:

Drum Corps shows are first and formost live performances! They should be made for that, not for what looks good on the DVD. For me, NO drum corps show ever has the same effect when watching them on a small screen.

I think this may be one of the reasons BK doesn't garner the same kind of crowd response as other corps -- their shows tend to be more cerebral than visceral. The programs don't always make an immediate impact on audiences, though after several viewings the nuances and subtleties become more apparent. The problem is, many people never have the opportunity to see a show a second time.

I agree, I appreciate BK more than I enjoy them. I appreciate what they are doing more than enjoy watching them.

For example, 2000, which was their highest finish at 6th. Did I enjoy watching them? Not really, it was like watching paint dry. In the words of one of my friends, "But, it's a pretty color of paint."

I certainly champion them because they are interesting, and unique. And I do look forward to watching them because of how different they are. They do have a clearly individual take on drum corps, and I appreciate that.

again, i think it's just that too often, they take cool tunes and just play with too much control.

Huh? Too much control? How can you have that? There are lots of musicians who made careers out of being extremely accurate, and not very exciting to listen to.

I have really liked the Blue Knights' shows since 2003. I think they have done really well, and liked their show last year more than a lot of corps that seemed to be higher up on fans' lists. It's all just a matter of personal preference.

You cannot deny the quality of BK, as they always seem to find a way to stay in the top 12, however, I find them to be one of the least entertaining corps out there. They need an edge. If they would perform and not be so self induldgent on the artsy side of the activity, they could be a real force to be reckoned with on the field.

My problem with BK had been what I call, an idenity crisis. It seemed, to me, they were trying to be a hybrid

between Star 93 and Cadets (of any year). It didn't work for me. I preferred the shows that did not try to be someone else.

Rocketman - Who are you? Who? Who?

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman