West Side Story

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved BD '98.

What about either time Kiwanis did it!? :P I can laugh about it, I was there for one of them. Garfield 84... by a lot. And like has already kinda been mentioned, I want to start a time capsule of sorts for WSS. A 15 year ban from High School or Corps needs to be put in place.

Something from WSS has been performed almost every year since the movie in 1957! Definitely the most overdone work in drum corps.

By vote: Best musical version...84 Garfield (&^#%% 1/10th!)

Best theatrical version: 87 Sky Ryders (and they actually had THREE different unis...all the same pattern, but you had the upper/mid brass all in white, lower brass all in black, percussion all in grey)

Favorite version from a personal standpoint (and one that's not listed on CorpsReps, even though I've submitted it twice), 1986 Dagenham Crusaders, DCUK champs (because I played it...tied for the Brit title, wearing a BD style uni, playing music that BEAT me 2 years previously). We took high brass and drums)

Cadets 84.

Edited by bd euph some day

I too wonder why 94 Cadets are never mentioned, while 84 is beloved and near legendary. It really is a semi-rare instance where the same corps uses the same theme in two different eras. I think the 94 corps is technically better and more sofisticated, but the 84 show is just more entertaining, especially for the casual fan. In 84, the Cadets were visually different than everyone else, but by 94 everybody was doing the Cadet thing. 94 is, well, just another show, where 84 was a benchmark. I have both shows on DVD, and enjoy them both. 94 is my favorite version of Mambo. But overall, I'll take 84. 3rd favorite is the Sky Ryders half black uniform / half white uniform version. I live in Kansas, so I got to see this show at least 8-10 times. Their Officer Krupke is classic.

I am with the majority that says '84 Cadets. Without question, the BEST hornline they have EVER fielded. Thick, rich, deep and the music was VERY entertaining. Total package from them. Just wish they would go back to this style sometimes and play something that was as entertaining as that show was to many of us. :(