Finals night

Just wondering,

a lot change from semi's to finals....

Did you guys think that Bluecoats performance from semi's to finals was really almost worth 2 points? They jumped from a 92.6 to a 94.450 I believe. Whereas Madison, who was tied with Bluecoats, still stayed in the 92.

And also Crown and Boston were really close...Bboston was ahead in quarters and then Crown came back. But both of their scores dropped on finals night. Does anybody might know why, could it have been the thunder delay.

A lot of things change from semis to finals....96 Regiment's a good example...or 84 SCV.

Even though you need to treat it like just another performance, the knowledge that it IS finals night often kicks up the performances several notches. Nothing new.

Phantom improved by 1.9 points in between semis and finals in 96... Was their performance really that different?

I know a lot of people on this board will say "heck yes!" but I think that's more a result of their having been there and having an emotional involvement in the performance. When you realize this is the last time you'll ever see that show performed the crowd tends to go crazy and hype it up. I'm not saying that PR 96's final run wasn't a hugely emotional performance, or at least not any less than BD's performance... Jumps just happen sometimes. A lot of it has to do with which judge is judging which caption when; certain judges prefer one corps over another (not through any necessary bias, but just because they tend to reward certain technical achievements more than others). If you get a panel of judges that really love you and you throw down, the scores will jump.

Just look at ECJ the past two years for an example: we got two panels with judges we knew liked/appreciated us and jumped more than 1.5 points beween semis and finals (finals and grand finals, if you will) each time. Of course we also had our best performance of the year at finals both times, which definitely helps.... and the judges rewarded us.

Edited by TTitans909

Well, for what it's worth, I think that Boston had their best show during Quarters and Crown had their worst. Crown got much better and imho Boston slipped a little, so I completely agree with that one. Now, for the Bluecoats, I do think they improved during the week (they were pretty dirty at Quarters). Now, was it worth over 2 points? I think it really depends on where everyone else places. I don't think the actual number matters that much.

Well, for what it's worth, I think that Boston had their best show during Quarters and Crown had their worst. Crown got much better and imho Boston slipped a little, so I completely agree with that one. Now, for the Bluecoats, I do think they improved during the week (they were pretty dirty at Quarters). Now, was it worth over 2 points? I think it really depends on where everyone else places. I don't think the actual number matters that much.

I agree completely. BAC got progressively worse as the week went on (and the amps in finals were WAY overbalanced vs. the rest of the ensemble - they should have been slammed in ensemble scores but were not). Crown got better each night. SCV was terrible in Quarters, were rock solid in Semi's, and they cranked out a very emotional performance in finals. Bluecoats really stepped it up in finals too. Madison was consistent throughout the week. Are the spreads a bit wacky? Perhaps, but I don't disagree with the final placements.

The jumps or drops in score and the shifts in placements that might occur from any year's semi finals to finals competitions is no different than looking at any mid summer consecutive tour dates. Jumps happen...drops happen...and movement in the rankings happen...all the time. Things do balance out the closer you get to the end of the season and the volatility slows down a bit, but with a changing judging panel every night and small variances in performance, I doubt you'll ever see stagnation.

My obersvation with PR in 1996:

The Saturday before Finals they were just .7 behind the Blue Devils and fully expected to be in the running. They gave just an ok quarterfinals performance, got a horrible score considering what they were capable of, came back angry and determined and surged up in score. Their semifinals performance may have been their best that week. If you look at Saturday to Saturday, the performance and/or score which should have been a surprise was the quarterfinal score and placement, not the final score and placement.

you can't look at it as did Bluecoats perform 2 points better on finals night than they did at semi's. what you have to look at is that madison went on and the judges scored them at a 92.? then the Bluecoats came on and the judges (combined) felt their performance was 2 points better than madison's. Finals night's scores have nothing to do with semi's scores. It is all based on the spread in captions between corps on the night they are being judged.