2006 DCI Classic Countdown

I can't really make a great report about the Fairfax VA show. There was a good bunch of high school students at the show, along with veterans, parents, and I'm sure people who were new to the activity. I had twenty-six students show up, which was cool.

Unfortunately, I had to arrive late as it was another middle school audition night. I made it during the 92 Crossmen drum solo and watched the remainder of the performances.

The crowd was much different from last year's countdown at the MacArthur Center in Norfolk. More polite applause and very little commentary from anyone. Everyone was just grooving to the shows, letting the GE do the talking, and giving it up quite a bit. It was a pleasant evening.

It is always cool to see the new faces get excited about drum corps. It was also cool to run into some old Bones scattered about the theatre. After the gig we headed over to Fridays to rekindle the drum corps flame. Very cool night! Chris Li is my hero.

Edited by drewbugler

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How coincidental... Star gets second... again... :)

... as the scores unfolded, you had to have guessed that would happen...

we were all rooting for star to take it, and when they were announced in second, half the theater erupted in cheers and the other in audible groans of disappointment :laugh:

Yeah, the crowd response to crown 04 was DISMAL.

Tons of old Garfield Cadets in my theatre, who ironically went nuts for regiment 89.

Old mad. alum are really crazy.

No one yelled VANGUARD

Like someone mentioned before, Michael Cesario has dreams about regiment 89? haha that legitimately cracked me up.

Bridgemen guy with the red afro= ridiculously funny.

Too bad I missed out on the 05 countdown, this was definitely a great event and worth my overpriced soda.

What theater were you at? I was at North Brunswick, where the place was crawling with folks wearing Bridgemen shirts/jackets.

Loved 2-7....as I always did...and will.

Crown 2004 is still one of my favorite shows of the past decade.

Star 93...amazing...another of my faves...those are the three votes of mine that made it, actually.

Bayonne rounds out my four favorites of the evening. (I had voted for 76)

Did not see Coats last year...loved their show a lot.

I'd prefer more participation in general from the audience, but I guess that just depends on where you are. I'm sure the theater in Miami was a lot more 'alive' than the one in Sunrise, only half an hour or so north.

I think you're right about this. I was getting the impression that people were getting into it, but not really. They couldn't help themselves from clapping a couple of times.

Some sort of odd reactions. Was getting a sort of negative reaction to 27...not sure why. Crossmen got some reaction and then the crowd drifted away, IMO.

The highlights for me were Bridgemen (I've only seen that show once before), Scouts, Regiment, Star, and SCV. OOOOH, SCV. That show is just stunning. During the ballad section, where they raise the one guard member up...dang. Hasn't ever affected me before, but for some reason it just clicked. Really emotional. And of course, the Canyon is just nuts. It's pretty amazing when something from 7 years ago can be SO exciting on a movie screen that it's almost like you're in the stands again.

And Star...I could barely keep still. Hearing that lush Bartok in the middle of the show alone was worth coming out to Sunrise. That show just toys with you...probably why it got such a visceral reaction from audiences in 93.

Worth the $25 for two tickets. The overpriced popcorn...not so much. :laugh:

Oh hey, we finally beat 27!! ^0^

EXCUSE ME!!! :laugh:

We DID beat them several times in 1977, and 1978!!! ^0^

Of course, Lancer Fi will most certainly point out that we didn't beat them at all in 1980!

And I will personally never get over losing the free "WENDY'S "* food to them that year!!! :sshh:

* We marched on and off the field chanting...

"WENDY'S...

HOT AND JUICY!!!"

It provided a nice cadence...

and set us up for a HUGE disappointment!!! :(

About a thiird to a half full in Wilmington, DE. Less Xmen response than I'd thought there'd be. More old farts like me than youngsters.

2-7 - it was interesting to see how restricted the guard's body movement was, compared to later years. Gawd those gals - they had rifles and they SPUN those rifles. Wonderful execution. The chime guy got lots of respectful laughs.

79 BD just made it all seem so effortless.

80 Bridgemen - my memory was correct. I loved 'em them, and love 'em now. The best anti-drum corps drum corps. People today don't realize now how ground breaking that stuff was. Drum line - gawd, still wonder how they did it.

Cadets got a good reaction and for good reason. The show really was way ahead of it's time. The musical arrangement left me wanting, though.

88 Madison, electric. Blast ain't got nothin' on that version of Malaguenya

Phantom did what the always do - tore my heart out. So glad they were voted first, it validated my impressions.

I appreciate Cavies much more now than I did then. Especially after Star. Yeah, I get it. It was supposed to be depressing, anxiety filled, tragic. And it was.

We almost ditched after the 90's, too. Seemed like the right time to leave - who planned that?

I liked Crown almost more than I'm willing to admit. Except the beat part. I liked this show live, I liked it last night. Great horns, great feet, good show. Deserves more credit.

Bloo. Love the horn line, didn't move as well as I'd like.

Loved the show....low volume from the speakers and the crowd at my theatre didnt leave me very happy. There was a guy that BOOOOOHED the Bluecoats...I wanted to beat him. But good times none the less. Maybe next year I will find more corps buddies.

Was he booing or blooing?

I was in Indy...good times. Several cheers and props from the crowd.

One thing that got a chuckle out of the crowd was the member from 2-7 who has the walking chime unit. It looked like he was in jail. Wonder if he is still around, perhaps on DCP? What was your drum corps experience like?

Major props to the Regiment pulling out a stand alone victory! I also recognized that several shows were from the respective corps' 50 year anniversary...looking for this year's Regiment to be another classic!

If you can not hear Medea killing her husband and childern in the music, tempo, and the dynamics then I’m not sure there is anything that can help you understand the show.

Amen to that. I couldn't describe it better. This reason and other reasons I'll get into in another post make this show my favorite show of all time... and I didn't even know what drum corps was in 1993. :laugh: