2006 DCI Classic Countdown

Saw the show in Syracuse with a couple friends. Theater about half full, not surprising considering a second theater 15 minutes away was also showing it. As far as the theater itself, no complaints about volume, but the picture was a bit fuzzy - the limitation seemed to be in the resolution of the projector. As far as the featured performances, a few reactions...

'75 27th Lancers - Great corps. Wish I had been around to see them live. 2-7 is most definitely the only corps whose color guard captures my attention for the majority of the show.

'79 Blue Devils - I couldn't get into the music in the first half of the show...just a personal preference. Loved La Suerte, and enjoyed the ending. Overall, not quite sure what was so special about this show to get it voted in. I was disappointed, I had high hopes after really liking BD 76 at last year's countdown.

'80 Bridgemen - Beyond all the antics, lots of talent on the field. Lots of fun too. It was a gas to watch, must have been even more fun to perform. I could listen to In the Stone all day.

'84 Garfield Cadets - Can I see the drill please? Camera work aside, easy to see why this was (and still is) a classic. Revolutionary. So often the talk of the Cadets of this era focues on Zingali and the visual, but to me this show typifies the musical evolution and pushing the boundaries of the total show concept that the Cadets accomplished during their three-peat as well.

'88 Madison Scouts - Amazing how much energy and adenaline came pouring through the screen 18 years after the fact. This may be one of the most debated titles of all time, but experiencing it on the big screen made it a bit more evident to me why they came away with the ring. They most definitely cranked it up a notch in Malaguena, but the first half of the show came across pretty strongly too.

'89 Phantom Regiment - No question why this is an all-time classic. The essence of Phantom Regiment - symphonic mastery, yet not afraid to add their own spin - and all wrapped up into 11 minutes.

'92 Crossmen - I love this show. Not quite as concepually weighty as many shows, yet still quite sophisticated. Seen in comparison to the modern shows at the end of the night, almost makes me wonder if current shows are over-programmed, particularly among those corps in the middle of the pack. Definitely held its own tonight among some of DCI's finest performances.

'93 Star - It's amazing how this show stands alone, even in comparsion to another aggressive, modern show in SCV '99. Not only did it go further than any show had gone before...it went further than any show has gone since. I don't love it, I don't hate it, but I most definitely appreciate it. No other show has been designed with so much abstraction that its interpretation is completely left up to the viewer. This, to me, summarizes why this show is so beloved by some and so disliked by others; so poignant to some and so befuddling to others.

'95 Cavaliers - A show that I've never counted among my favorites. Seeing it in the theater reminded me how great it is, though. Spectacular drill, especially the ending sequence with the bombastic horns.

'99 SCV - This show just screams SCV to me. Intensity all the way through...in the big picture and in every little detail. The collapsing box move has so much more impact on the big screen (and in person) than on a standard TV. It astounds me how their design team could select four pieces of music not necessarily all that similar, yet weave them into a show where they all make sense, and seamlessly transition from one to another.

'04 Carolina Crown - I enjoy some aspects of this show more than others. After viewing some excellent shows spanning several decades, it was also apparent why, from a design standpoint, Crown is still fighting to climb above the middle of the pack. It will be interesting to see how this show withstands the test of time, and how it would appear in a similar lineup ten years from now.

'05 Bluecoats - Again, it was enlightening to see a show from this past summer in the context of the evolution of DCI. One of the most striking things to me was how the writing of the musical ensemble has changed, with so many more responsibilities being placed on the pit, as the horns are scrambling around the field more than ever. Certainly a much different approach to the continuity of melodic lines in the hornline, even in comparison to SCV from just 6 years ago. Overall, this show did not seem out of place among the many great performances tonight.

Well, I think that's quite enough for now!

One last thing, kudos to DCI for giving a nod to the upcoming Bridgemen and Madison alumni performances, as well as the Reading Bucs' appearance at A'town. Sounds like they don't completely neglect the "old farts" after all.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burbank, CA....theater was added late, so the crowd wasn't especially plentiful...I think the last time I looked it was maybe 1/3 full. At least I had a chance to do some recruiting for SoCal Dream after the show.

'75 27th Lancers - There were parts I got into (Crown Imperial and Danny Boy), but the rest of teh show...not so much...probably because I did the activity in the mid 80s...and theearlier shows sometimes don't push my buttons. But I have GOT to give it up to that chimes player....Jesus H. Christ in a ####### crutch!! I've never seen a rig like that! I can't begin to imagine the strain on his entire body...and he even bowed with it!

Props to his chiropracter as well...

'79 Blue Devils - Meh....did nothing at all for me...except for the gate turns and the bare beginings of the famous tag ending...I DID like "WEST IS BEST" across the bottom of the cymbal shoes, tho....that lasted through 84.

'80 Bridgemen - Have seen this before, but it comes across better on the BIG screen! Classic B'men stuff. One gent sitting next to me is on SoCal Dream's drum staff, and even in the dim light I could see his eyes pop at the extended left-handed singles...a move that would be suicidal for any other line at the time. This was the first show that got any real response from the theater crowd...SO glad they kept the football game field exit....wish DCI hadn't cut away during thr actual 1980n broadcast, tho.

'84 Garfield Cadets - Spent the whole show with a smile on my face...got responses basically throughout the show...especially for the FAST drill at the end of chart 2. Got noticably better response. GREAT show. 7th place??? WTF...that matched their drum placement that year.

'88 Madison Scouts - Response right when they hit the screen (typicall! :P ) By this time people started realizing thsat the programs were getting better...

'89 Phantom Regiment - SUTA!!!! Best response yet....Great show top to bottom...if ONLY the drum scors hadn't tanked that night...but at least the won in THIS contest!!!

'92 Crossmen - Have never seen the video...but loved the music...GOD what a drumline! Wierd to not hear that last chord resolve, but I understanbd why in the scope of the trilogy.

'93 Star - Wow...just wow...I stilldon't entirely "get" the show, but I really don't have to to emjoy it, especially the Medea section.

'95 Cavaliers - Spectacular as always...

'99 SCV - Have never seen it...was looking forward to it...was NOT disappointed....seeing a LOT of 93 Star influence from here on out in terms of body motion. Saw a few drill probs that probably cost them a solo win, but I missed the 1999 season, so I haven't seen BD either. Fave shot was actually the very first one of the bass line...what 'tude! Best response from the theater crowd, but no "Vanguard" yell...

'04 Carolina Crown - 1st half did nothing for me....the Queen segment did, tho....could do without the amped vocals...singing was OK, but the narration...ewww. That same guy saying his first line, DID geta good laugh from the audience, tho!

'05 Bluecoats WOW....what a drum line! Can see why they broke into the top 5

Also did a bit of educating the younguns during the break...about Barbara Maroney's prosthesis, the timing gun, 2 valve horns, etc...

A good night...can;t wait for Quarters!

I got there (the theater in Sawgrass Mills, in Sunrise, FL) during Madison '88, because I had just finished my 7 hour drive home from school and stopped at home to pick up my brother on the way to the theater.

Madison 88....while I'm always a fan of corps that effectively "turn it up" finals night, I never really have, and probably never will, really get to liking this show. Don't even know why.

Phantom 89....great. Some incredible moments from the euphs. I like the pacing of this show a lot.

Crossmen 92....was really looking forward to seeing this in the movies. Had chills through most of the performance, as I usually do. Love the sop solo in the closer. Visual program was interesting in the sense that during a pass-through in the hornline (which they had a lot of), they take the time to lock the set for one count in the meshed form, before they break it apart.

Star 93......WOW. That's all I can say. If not the first time in a few years, tonight was probably the first time I ever saw this show. I don't have the 93 DVD, and...I don't know, it never occured to me how extensively I've neglected this show. Absolutely stunning. I literally watched with my mouth open, for almost the entire show. Absolutely awe-inspiring. Sprinting all over the place, with probably the most finesse-ful hornline of all time. LOVED the double pole work the guard did. The guard looked great in their black uniforms (extremely fit, as well), and definitely helped sell the show. I had no idea how extensive all the body work was....an OBVIOUS influence for future corps. SCV '99 was influenced by it, Crown '04 was, and the Blue Knights in general have visible similarities as well.

Cavies 95...hadn't watched in a while. Forgot how great their drumline was. This show is definitely a classic in the history of DCI, and a perfect show for someone just recently getting into the activity to see.

SCV 99.....crowd seemed to favor this one more than the rest; before, and also after. Watched the sabre line more than I ever really had in the past, and it was clear that they were definitely "on," finals night. I "WOOO'ed" at the baritone solo in the ballad because that guy is bad ###, and ridiculously so.

Crown 04....a LOT of people left, and surprisingly, it was mainly the younger ones. Literally the majority of the audience laughed during the singing, the "freedom," and the entire beatnik section. Just like in the upper deck around where I was sitting during finals night in '04, there was little to no applause after that whole section. I was sitting around with some Crown people ('05) during the show, and they didn't seem to respond positively or negatively during the whole performance. I used to really like both the opener and the closer; I like the opener much more than the closer, now. Interesting musical choice, thematically. Baritones were outstanding (especially in the opener), and I personally think their hornline was better in '04 than '05. Visual program was a big drop from the corps that were shown around them. Guard was definitely better in '04; what did they get, third in all of DCI? I remember them knocking off a lot of big-name color guards throughout that season. Erin England (dance soloist) is absolutely gorgeous, and is surely one of the most beautiful featured soloists throughout DCI history. :)

Bluecoats 05...I was pretty surprised that an '05 show wound up getting voted in. I was expecting some kind of chuckling or heckling during the tabla features, based on what happened during Crown's show, but I was surprised to not really hear any. My friends from color guards who were sitting around me, were really impressed by the difficulty of the guard work throughout the show, especially the massive rifle feature at the end. The sound quality (not of the corps itself, but I guess of the recording) seemed like one of the better ones of the night; I guess it was an '05 thing. I still don't feel like the amplification of pits in general is visibly worthwhile in DCI. You can hear them fine normally. Bluecoats have been pretty consistant in putting "ballads" on the field; the piece usually involves some slow music and marching, but lots of musical development, almost always has an extended uptempo section, and are usually a longer production than most other corps have. Interesting that all the shows that I was able to see, included a baritone solo.

Oh, and the entire theater laughed almost every time Cesario talked. Always a fun event in all though; having dinner with Crown/Boston/Magic/Cadets people afterwards was definitely a good time. I don't know if it was something that just happened in the theater that I was in, but I wouldn't mind them turning the lights all the way on during intermission. I do like the fact that the classic countdown includes an intermission, though.

I laughed when I saw that Star '93 came in 2nd, again. Poor guys. I hope they don't withdraw from the future DCI classic countdowns, and start their own. :)

Sigh. I really wanted to go, but instead, ended up in a 4.5 hour fraternity chapter. Could've met Maedhros!

OH well. OAS, AAS, LLS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Barbara (Cadets 84) on French horn, or mello with a F/H mpc?

And the mello, not F/H, soloist with BD is Chris Nalls.

Garry

Oh, and the entire theater laughed almost every time Cesario talked.

ours too! anyone else, or is this a florida thing?

Loved the show....low volume from the speakers and the crowd at my theatre didnt leave me very happy. There was a guy that BOOOOOHED the Bluecoats...I wanted to beat him. But good times none the less. Maybe next year I will find more corps buddies.

are you sure they weren't BLOOO-ing? :laugh: that's my guess, as a few of us did that in the theater i was at at the end of the show....

are you sure they weren't BLOOO-ing? :laugh: that's my guess, as a few of us did that in the theater i was at at the end of the show....

No one blooo'ed at my theater...I was going to suggest that perhaps the Bluecoats aren't really much of a Florida-oriented corps, but apparently the Miami folk have proven otherwise.

I'd prefer more participation in general from the audience, but I guess that just depends on where you are. I'm sure the theater in Miami was a lot more 'alive' than the one in Sunrise, only half an hour or so north.

there was more applause as the night went on after each show. the only people that BLOOOd, admittedly, were myself, and my friends who marched BAC and crown....aka people who know to BLOOOO. lol.

i was looking for ya, though :P