2006 DCI Classic Countdown

Well some people are just too pedestrian to be able to find Star 93 entertaining. I was amazed by it (not just technically, as in I found it very entertaining) since I first saw it in, what, 10th grade? Guess that's just me though.

that's also when I first viewed Star - now granted, it was about 5 years after the fact - but it still amazes me to this day. :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went west out of Baltimore to Columbia, MD. Theatre half full, lots of us old timers, but some families and younger people also. Several Crossmen and Garfield Cadet shirts (old timers!!! yea), one Cavalier shirt , only one corps jacket that I saw, Cadets.

I liked that they only talked a small amount before each decade and went right from one show to another. Focus was on the shows, nothing else!!!

75 27th Lancers: great as always. I'd love to see a rifle line like that again!

79 Blue Devils: OK, clean and smooth.

80 Bridgemen: My seats for finals that year in the 2nd row from the TOP of the UPPER deck. I remember the football game at the end lookd exactly like a veiw from the Good Year blinp from where I was sitting. b**bs

84 Garfield Cadets: as already mentioned, great horn soloist (a name anyone?) . Was it a French horn bugle or mellowphone? It looked more like a French horn to me.

88 Madison Scouts: WOW!!! Not meaning to flame here but I hope we can see, hear, and FEEL that kind of emotiion from them again soon!

89 Phantom :wub::wub::laugh: Best crowd response after Crossmen. I love both SCV and Phantom and I didn't see either show live in 89, but its hard for me to imagine even SCV beating that show!

92 Crossmen: I loved the Earth trilogy shows. I wish they would go back to the green jackets and white pants (can't get into them since 99 and black). They had such an awesome guard through the 90's. Lots of audience response here, certainly deserved but also several fans/alumni.

93 Star: My first time to see this show, maybe I need to again. I appreciate the technical demand and can also appreciate the cerebral aspects. But it just didn't grab me. Like the 91 show much better. And I was never a person who complained or disliked Star.

95 Cavaliers: Love this show. Saw things I hadn't before.

99 SCV: Loved this show. They just drive that rhythmic ostinato through you, then have that beautiful middle section, then drive it home again!! :wub: And SCV was doing body movement in the 80's (before Star).

04 Crown: love everything except the beat poetry, even the singing is ok, not great, but ok. Amps made the pit too loud on the recording.

05 Bluecoats: Great improvements in this corps over the last few years. Didn't enjoy this show as much last night as during the summer. However, if they want to break into the top 4 they have to learn how to clean the visual program better (both guard and drill).

Enjoyed the evening Phantom was my friends and mine favorite.

Edited by shawn craig

Okay I'm going to try this again since my server lost my first review. <_<

I was at the one in Harrisburg, PA. Not crowded, but a decent turnout. Not a lot of response for the shows, except Phantom, Crossmen, Star, and Bluecoats. I went with one of the girls I taught where I teach a HS pit, and met up with another friend at the theater. Saw some other people there that I know from my area. It was a good time.

My personal favorites were Star '93 (the first show I ever saw and still the most special one I've ever seen), Phantom '89 (I adore New World Symphony and especially their arrangement), Bluecoats '05 (one of my favorites from last season and a special shoutout to Allaina Sines - '05 trumpet and one of my best friends in the world), Crossmen '92 (as many times as i've viewed this show, i never get tired of it), '99 SCV (first year I ever saw live drum corps in Allentown, and this show was my favorite that year), and '84 Garfield Cadets (i had heard this show before, but never saw it, and it blew my mind!).

Those '95 Cavalier pit guys could play their butts off! :D

Loved 2-7's closing statement, as well as BD's opening statement. And that Bridgemen groove sequence, complete with dance, was off the hook!

I think that about covers it for me. :)

First off, I hope everyone at the Houston show can forgive me. I was the one that kept whining about the sound quality/volume. I've given them 3 times to get this figured out and the sound quality and volume has sucked each time. A home theater system sounds 1000 times better.

The motivating reason for me to go to one of these things is to get to hear drum corps on an awesome system. I understand the technical limitations on the older stuff but there's no excuse on the newer stuff. You know things are bad when you can hear the neigboring movies over drum corps!!!

FWIW, the manager told us that they were instructed to play show on a "9" and that a normal movie is on a "5." They said the problem was with the product they were sent. Atleast they were able to turn the volume up the previous 2 times after many complaints from several of us. I can't see myself spending another $12 on a product that doesn't measure up what I could get for free at home.

Let me qualify what I've said by saying that I appreciate that DCI has done this but for this to continue to be successful, they're going to need to figure out these technical difficulties.

Did they not turn it up last night? Seemed to me that the volumn increased at the beginning of Madison compared to the earlier shows. I do find it hard to believe that they play normal movies on "5" there

Ok I was at Kenosha no Big probs with production except in the high cam viesw were a bit blurry mostly I think itis vidio compression other then that it was very cool

the Theater was almost jamed packed full. mostly older folks but some younger

corps jackets I saw

mostly Kilties (jr corps and All age), Scouts, Cavies, Royalaires, Phantom, Blue Stars, Racine Scouts, SCV,and even an old Kingsmen jacket

my girl friend whent we both laughed at the guy in the cage (27)

her Fav were Star, and Crown and she never played or marched Corps (her saying star suprised me)

for me I liked SCV, Star, Bluecoats, Scouts, and 27

crowd went nut's for scouts, and phantom but there was a snippit of the 70's kilties that people went crazy over also

all in all I would go again my girlfriend said she would also (yahoo!)

now people just need to vote for 77 Blue Stars next !!

not even close. totally different concepts.

Yeah, when I watch those two shows, they look and sound absolutely identical. Chester and Swing Swing Swing...same thing.

Or maybe not. :laugh:

[And I will personally never get over losing the free "WENDY'S "* food to them that year!!! :sshh:

* We marched on and off the field chanting...

"WENDY'S...

HOT AND JUICY!!!"

It provided a nice cadence...

Sorry, Grasshopper!...but you are once again incorrect here! The Wendy's promo at Manning Bowl was in 1979! It was announced during the World Open Finals that the winners would receive free meals after the show at Wendy's across the street from Manning Bowl.

When you guys ever marched by us in that block chanting the Wendy's slogan, we went crazy and started cheering!....but alas, Jim.....knowing now about the poorest corps on Earth,....you all should have known:

NEVER BET AGAINST 2-7 WHEN THERE WAS FOOD ON THE LINE!

After the show, we all walked towards Wendy's chanting; "The Hungriest Corps Wins!"

Sorry, Grasshopper!...but you are once again incorrect here! The Wendy's promo at Manning Bowl was in 1979! It was announced during the World Open Finals that the winners would receive free meals after the show at Wendy's across the street from Manning Bowl.

When you guys ever marched by us in that block chanting the Wendy's slogan, we went crazy and started cheering!....but alas, Jim.....knowing now about the poorest corps on Earth,....you all should have known:

NEVER BET AGAINST 2-7 WHEN THERE WAS FOOD ON THE LINE!

After the show, we all walked towards Wendy's chanting; "The Hungriest Corps Wins!"

[/quote

I think that was the best meal we had all year. :P