cadets  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Will the cadets repeat this year?!

• yes
    • no
    • i eat children

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Not that Cadets were bad last year, but I feel like 2005 was a bit of a letdown quality-wise compared to recent years. Cavies had probably their worst offering since 99 (though it's only one of two Cavies shows from the past ten years I've enjoyed); Phantom was good, but didn't perform up to the level of Cavies and Cadets; BD had its worst placement since 1993; Bluecoats were good, but I don't think they were necessarily any better than Phantom last year; and then you have SCV having their worst showing since, well, since forever.

I think things opened up for Cadets this year, and I think the rest of the top 5/6 is going to make a real big push for the top; one of those corps will likely knock Cadets off.

Edited by TTitans909

On paper, The Cadets have arguably the best chance of winning this year with no staff changes, the continuation of a cutting-edge concept/design, and their willingness to take chances with things like solo vocals and props (whether you like them or not, it takes “big ones” to take these high-level risks). I think their biggest risk is the possibility that Mark over-designs the show.

Several others have a good chance as well but aren't bringing anything new to the table, which seems to be one factor the judges are looking for from a champion in this new era.

While I’m sure the Cavies show will be spectacular and performed very well, it really is just another Frameworks or Spin Cycle type show with just a different name, plus it will likely take a year or two for the new and old staff to gel. My brothers will flame me for this one, but I also think their drills have started to lose their uniqueness with other designers incorporating some of the Gaines concepts and Gaines own drills becoming variations on the same themes. But I’ve seen nothing on the field yet, so MG might come out with very different moves from anything he’s had them do in the last six years.

The Blue Devils are basically doing Gangster Chronicles II and don’t tend to be successful innovators so will probably only win by outdistancing the others in execution. However, they are probably so ###### off from their 2005 placement that they’ll be The Cadets’ most likely contender.

Phantom has a history of not being able to design two really great shows in consecutive years and have staff changes.

The Bluecoats, while making significant strides, have not yet reached the level of design, difficulty and execution that is required of a champion (watching the rebroadcast of the 2005 show at the Showcase last week really showed off all the problems with marching, especially their intervals).

While many have offered other names, from Crown to Blue Stars, that could possibly win, I don’t see anyone else with a significant possibility of victory. This includes Santa Clara who will be lucky to hold their 2005 position with an entirely new staff and other strengthening corps at their level.

On paper, The Cadets have arguably the best chance of winning this year with no staff changes, the continuation of a cutting-edge concept/design, and their willingness to take chances with things like solo vocals and props (whether you like them or not, it takes “big ones” to take these high-level risks). I think their biggest risk is the possibility that Mark over-designs the show.

Several others have a good chance as well but aren't bringing anything new to the table, which seems to be one factor the judges are looking for from a champion in this new era.

While I’m sure the Cavies show will be spectacular and performed very well, it really is just another Frameworks or Spin Cycle type show with just a different name, plus it will likely take a year or two for the new and old staff to gel. My brothers will flame me for this one, but I also think their drills have started to lose their uniqueness with other designers incorporating some of the Gaines concepts and Gaines own drills becoming variations on the same themes. But I’ve seen nothing on the field yet, so MG might come out with very different moves from anything he’s had them do in the last six years.

The Blue Devils are basically doing Gangster Chronicles II and don’t tend to be successful innovators so will probably only win by outdistancing the others in execution. However, they are probably so ###### off from their 2005 placement that they’ll be The Cadets’ most likely contender.

Phantom has a history of not being able to design two really great shows in consecutive years and have staff changes.

The Bluecoats, while making significant strides, have not yet reached the level of design, difficulty and execution that is required of a champion (watching the rebroadcast of the 2005 show at the Showcase last week really showed off all the problems with marching, especially their intervals).

While many have offered other names, from Crown to Blue Stars, that could possibly win, I don’t see anyone else with a significant possibility of victory. This includes Santa Clara who will be lucky to hold their 2005 position with an entirely new staff and other strengthening corps at their level.

Reading this post was a breath of fresh air. It is one of the most intelligent posts I've read on this forum. Thank you.

I agree that caviesfan8p has presented a well thought-out post. I'm always impressed when someone who is clearly a fan of one corps can look at them all objectively.

I'd still make it too tight to call (in any year) between Cadets, Cavies and BD. I'd usually include SCV in that but, unfortunately, not yet. And I'm hoping well for Phantom but have also noticed their every-other-year tendency.

Nope.