Have You Lost Any Friends You Marched With......

:(

Not my Rubin, too!

I knew he wasn't well the last time I saw him.. geez..

Okay favorite memory of Rubin: Tearing the town of Santa Barbara apart to find casters for THAT BED!! You haven't shopped until you've shopped with Rubin!! That was the best day I ever spent in a hardware store.

Man. *sigh*

Stef

Yes Rubin was quite an individual and the So Cal guard scene misses him dearly. His niece recently graduated from the H.S. band that I teach.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

Not my Rubin, too!

I knew he wasn't well the last time I saw him.. geez..

Okay favorite memory of Rubin: Tearing the town of Santa Barbara apart to find casters for THAT BED!! You haven't shopped until you've shopped with Rubin!! That was the best day I ever spent in a hardware store.

Man. *sigh*

Stef

There was a guy by the name of Mike Page that played snare in the Knight Raiders and the Devs snareline in late 70's. He marched his last year in the Pit in '82 Bridgemen. He loved New York/New Jersey and almost convinced me to back there with him! He turned me on to Kualua and Cream and Billy Joel. Great drummer and very missed!

There was a guy by the name of Mike Page that played snare in the Knight Raiders and the Devs snareline in late 70's. He marched his last year in the Pit in '82 Bridgemen. He loved New York/New Jersey and almost convinced me to back there with him! He turned me on to Kualua and Cream and Billy Joel. Great drummer and very missed!

No way! I remember Mike Page...oh that s@#$! Wow....

Ron - I think we all miss those that came before us, marched with us, and those who left us all too soon - we gotta embrace the time we have left and hopefully leave our mark in the world in a positive way, man!

I have had three good friends, one instructor and one corps director die since I aged out !!

We had a lot of great memories and I will cherish them all.

Rest In Peace Boys. :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Here's to you all !! :drool:

Yep.. I have.

My first real experience of learning about death came about when a kid I marched with in the 70's died.

I was marching in the Nashua, NH Spartans and one of "us" passed away.. very untimely.. Mid 70's.

Next.. was a friend that passed away due to AIDS. Because that was the mid 80's.. it was a SHOCK. He was funny.. friendly.. intelligent.. and an excellent contributor to drum and bugle corps. I wasn't his closest friend.. but think of him often.

The 90's weren't great either. The loss of parents. The parents that got me and my siblings into drum and bugle corps in the first place. Yeesh.

There are others.. but I wouldn't want to put a damper on this thread.. It's celebratory.. in fact!

:)

Sharon

All too many before and after I marched, including my youngest brother. The tympani he carried was bigger than he was when he marched Des Plaines Vanguard.

I occasionally remind Pioneer members how lucky they are, and to savor it, because life does not come with a guarantee.

Well...this is a little of a morose subject, but here's my list...

Bobby Hoffman--was his chauffer for awhile, when he named me "the best...and the worst DM he had ever seen"

Ruben Serrano--not a CLOSE friend, but certainly we knew each other for obvious reasons

Craig Root--was on staff with VK in 1985 and for awhile in 1986, and was a very cool guy

Stanley Knaub--not a friend friend, but we met each other at a camp that was doing drum major and leadership stuff at, and he was doing the guard stuff. Can say we ate lunch together, and I saw him a few times after that at various guard things

I'm not aware of any other VK'ers that have passed away (BILL?).