When I was young...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was young and found the internet, I used to post my opinions pretty forcibly on RAMD.

When I was young and foolish, I used to speak in absolutes.

When I was young and foolish, I'd get into arguments with elders who knew better than me.

When I was young and foolish, I used to think that I was more in touch with reality than people a generation before me.

When I was young and foolish, 1982's brand of drum corps seemed a world away.

Now I am older and a trifle wiser.

And I see young and foolish fans on DCP speaking in absolutes.

I see young and foolish fans on DCP getting into arguments with elders who know better than they...

I see young and foolish people who think they are more in touch with reality than the people of my generation...

I see young and foolish people who think that 1994 -the year I aged out- seems a world away.

Can I just say...

I hate that life is one big freaking wheel, and that everything that goes around comes around, and that I am seeing dozens and dozens of "Nikk Pilatos" and "Bobby Hullets" and even "Lee Rudnickis" and "Jay Wises" running around, and every time I want to reply to them with some scathing and sarcastic missive about how they are so very clueless and lack perspective, I have to remind myself...

THAT WAS ME 10 years ago.

THAT WAS ME.

That was so totally me.

So, young and foolish people....a little bit of unsolicited advice from one who is not as young as he once was, but perhaps even more foolish than ever:

It's ok to not know everything, even if you really really wish you did.

It's ok to want respect and acceptance from people who have been there and done that...as long as you stay true to yourself in the process.

And most important of all...

It's ok to be young and foolish.

We've all been there and done that. And what a fun ride it was (is).

Much love to all, my drum corps brethren, past, present, and future...

:)

"Goes Around, Comes Around":

Indeed it does. And often with a vengance my pretties.....

Elphaba

I see young and foolish fans on DCP getting into arguments with elders who know better than they...

The reason why the "young and foolish" get into arguments is because the "old and foolish" talk trash about todays drum corps and think that their day was the best era of DCI (not saying it was, not saying it wasn't) Maybe it's that the young hate how the old treat them and their activity that they feel the urge to stand up for todays drum corps.

I think that this topic is really stupid, I have seen more old people say such harsh things that you have seen the 5:1!! The simple truth is that todays members know more about todays activity than the elders do, but that the elders know more about their day than the young do.

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

True, that.

When I was young and found the internet, I used to post my opinions pretty forcibly on RAMD.

When I was young and foolish, I used to speak in absolutes.

When I was young and foolish, I'd get into arguments with elders who knew better than me.

When I was young and foolish, I used to think that I was more in touch with reality than people a generation before me.

When I was young and foolish, 1982's brand of drum corps seemed a world away.

Now I am older and a trifle wiser.

And I see young and foolish fans on DCP speaking in absolutes.

I see young and foolish people who think they are more in touch with reality than the people of my generation...

I see young and foolish people who think that 1994 -the year I aged out- seems a world away.

Can I just say...

I hate that life is one big freaking wheel, and that everything that goes around comes around, and that I am seeing dozens and dozens of "Nikk Pilatos" and "Bobby Hullets" and even "Lee Rudnickis" and "Jay Wises" running around, and every time I want to reply to them with some scathing and sarcastic missive about how they are so very clueless and lack perspective, I have to remind myself...

THAT WAS ME 10 years ago.

THAT WAS ME.

That was so totally me.

So, young and foolish people....a little bit of unsolicited advice from one who is not as young as he once was, but perhaps even more foolish than ever:

It's ok to not know everything, even if you really really wish you did.

It's ok to want respect and acceptance from people who have been there and done that...as long as you stay true to yourself in the process.

And most important of all...

It's ok to be young and foolish.

We've all been there and done that. And what a fun ride it was (is).

Much love to all, my drum corps brethren, past, present, and future...

:)

Nikk,

My age-out year was 1975!... :sshh:

(signed, old and still somewhat foolish... b**bs )

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

ChicagoFan,

Agreed, check my sig....;-) :blink:

Tony B)

Haha, I opened this thread and expected to see "when I was young... we marched our show uphill... in snow... without shoes."

some interesting insight Nikk... it is quite the dichotomy to see what you had to say on RAMD then vs. DCP now.