Dear George Hopkins,

Big difference. When mallets were added it provided an extension of percussion, taking the "all brass" out of drum and bugle corps takes all uniqueness out of the activity and makes it no different than any other marching activity. DCI will not risk alienating the fans it has by incorporating woodwinds into any hornline, or they can go ahead and sign off on the junior corps activity diappearing forever.

actually, some of it's most influential directors would be willing to take that risk.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's more complex than that. I usually attend several DCI shows a year. First time out, I give the benefit of the doubt and watch everyone (who knows, there's always hope for an off-season lobotomy). Then I plan my subsequent arrivals, departures, hot dogs, and souvie cruising around who I have no desire to see for the rest of the year.

To me, boycotting ALL DCI corps is counter-productive. In fact, boycotting all YEA corps doesn't work as I have to get my annual Crossmen fix (until they start the amp thing too.

Crossmen use em too...have been

For me it's more complex than that. I usually attend several DCI shows a year. First time out, I give the benefit of the doubt and watch everyone (who knows, there's always hope for an off-season lobotomy). Then I plan my subsequent arrivals, departures, hot dogs, and souvie cruising around who I have no desire to see for the rest of the year.

To me, boycotting ALL DCI corps is counter-productive. In fact, boycotting all YEA corps doesn't work as I have to get my annual Crossmen fix (until they start the amp thing too.

Crossmen use em too...have been

Jeff is saying he doesn't like amped shows. He is also showing that he does not like the direction DCI is taking the activity. When I said that "your posts...imply your nor a fan," I was stating that to dans who thinks Jeff is taking a personal opportunity to bash his opinion simply because he is a Cadets fan. As you responded to my post to Dan, I thought you were still Dan (wake up, Dave, wake up). So, my question to dans remains. You (MS76) have answered your opinion of it, but I am awaiting his. I think that if there are shows that you enjoy at DCI shows, and you are willing to pay full price to see those shows, then by all means you should.

So dans, is MiamiSun76 a fan of drum corps, under your guidelines, if he supports some DCI corps? Or, must he support DCI in general to qualify. And what about Jeff? He does not support DCI. He does support DCA, which is a drum corps circuit. He, apparently does not qualify as a fan of the activity by your guidelines, true?

i gotta buy you a beer someday

Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this has turned into a very "RAMD" like argument, and I really don't care to participate. If anyone would like to discuss the upcoming season (going to be a great one!), count me in.

no, you threw a comment out there, and here we are civilly trying to discuss it. apparently it's an answer you cant give, so you reply with "whatever"

no, you threw a comment out there, and here we are civilly trying to discuss it. apparently it's an answer you cant give, so you reply with "whatever"

Hey Jeff, "whatever" is my way of saying there's no point in defending my position. You will twist my words to make me the bad guy and you the good guy , but that's ok, your posting reputation on RAMD is well known. Not that I owe you an explanation, I comment on the Cadets because they are the only DCI corps I get to see on a regular basis. Have you noticed yet that you and your RAMD buddies are the only ones participating in this silly discussion? the decent, civil minded people on DCP are staying away from this thread.

Hey Jeff, "whatever" is my way of saying there's no point in defending my position. You will twist my words to make me the bad guy and you the good guy , but that's ok, your posting reputation on RAMD is well known. Not that I owe you an explanation, I comment on the Cadets because they are the only DCI corps I get to see on a regular basis. Have you noticed yet that you and your RAMD buddies are the only ones participating in this silly discussion? the decent, civil minded people on DCP are staying away from this thread.

Dan as a fellow East Jr High band alumni (I was a year behind you :P), I'm posting this in a non-angry manner. I've looked at your posts on this thread and most of what I see are insults to people including myself. At this point I'm not even sure what position you are talking about.

But by your (apparant) standards I'm a Non-Drum Corps Fan/non-decent civil minded/RAMD cesspool buddy anyway. :blink:

This discussion started out as a reference to an historical novelty in the activity. It was neither silly, indecent, nor uncivil. As the person who got this thread re-opened I take as much offense at your characterization as I have to other insults on other forums.

As far as what I've seen, the people who've participated in this thread have had 1. a sense of history. 2. a curiosity about other ways to present the idiom. 3. a musical knowledge about artists transitioning between instruments.

If there was some implied lock-step agenda that had to be met to make it acceptable to "decent civil-minded people", I guess we didn't get the memo. Your constant references to RAMD come off as a drum corps form of McCarthyism. It's always the boogeyman hiding under everyone's bed who disagrees with you..................boo!

Edited by MiamiSun76

Dan, I do not post on RAMD. I have not insulted you. I have asked you three times (this request will make the fourth), and despite your posting here, you still have not answered the question of what, by your guidelines, makes someone a fan of the activity. Can someone who supports DCA but not DCI be a fan? Is someone who supports DCI but not DCA a fan? How about someone who supports some DCI corps, are they a fan? How about someone who chooses not to support DCI as much as they used to, are they a fan?

Dan, if you don't want to talk to Jeff, don't. Please talk to me because I do not understand your position. I am asking you to clarify it. However, it seems that you only want to talk to, or about Jeff. Here is your chance to get back on topic. Forget Jeff if he irritates you so. Please, talk to me. No name calling, no RAMD. Just answer the question I ask repeatedly.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27