Red Carpet Association

Yes, the Erie Thunderbirds were in RCA. We managed a win & a tie for championships. Also Pittsburgh Rockets, Guelph Royalaires, and later Phoenix all won championships at one time or another. Canadian Commanders were awsome too. Hanover Lancers and Emaus Sentinels were always good. Dunkirk Patriots were entertaining, best "beer barrel polka" in drum corps. There were actually too many to list. I remember a year where we had like over 20 corps. ok, I'll list the ones I remember, which haven't been mentioned. Sudbury Imperial Knights, Kingston Grenadiers, Westmoreland Esquires, Cumberland Freelancers, Crusaders, ah the fuzz has rolled in, somebody help me out. cya

Edited by Mike_B

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vern Acklin Cavaliers from Verona Pa, (up the river from Pittsburgh) and the Cumberland Freestatesmen were battleing it out for the last spot @ most of the shows in 1973, 74, 75....And along came the Vigillanties from Versailles, Pa. and the bottom spot was theres for the taking....Really great memories and friendships established within the RCA circuit....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

Friend of SlyCooley1

PADCHOF

John G

Did bunch o' RCA shows in 75-77 until Westshore got good enough for DCA membership. 1976 season almost all I saw was Hanover Lancers, Johnsonburg Diplomats and Hershey Chocolatier/York White Roses (merger corps). Hear Hersheys show so many times I can still play part of it in my head. Hershey came in last place every show in '76 until RCA Champs when they knocked off the Imperial Knights.

1977 was bunch of shows with Hanover and Johnsonburg except this time we were winning.

Conversation from mid 1977 when we were doing both circuits:

New corps member (NCM): Who are we competing against this weekend?

Larry Hershman (LH): We're up against .. <list of DCA corps who royally kicked our butts>

NCM: We're going to come in last!!! Why aren't we doing a RCA show we can win?

LH (######): Because we can make more money coming in last at a DCA show than comng in first at an RCA show. :blink:

Did bunch o' RCA shows in 75-77 until Westshore got good enough for DCA membership. 1976 season almost all I saw was Hanover Lancers, Johnsonburg Diplomats and Hershey Chocolatier/York White Roses (merger corps). Hear Hersheys show so many times I can still play part of it in my head. Hershey came in last place every show in '76 until RCA Champs when they knocked off the Imperial Knights.

1977 was bunch of shows with Hanover and Johnsonburg except this time we were winning.

Conversation from mid 1977 when we were doing both circuits:

New corps member (NCM): Who are we competing against this weekend?

Larry Hershman (LH): We're up against .. <list of DCA corps who royally kicked our butts>

NCM: We're going to come in last!!! Why aren't we doing a RCA show we can win?

LH (######): Because we can make more money coming in last at a DCA show than comng in first at an RCA show. :blink:

My cousin marched in Brass Inc(the forerunner of MBI). Anyone remember RCA finals in Erie-1974?

Would be glad to here some stories from that show. I watched it.

didnt someone start up a website that has a ton of rca history on it?

Thanks Diceman. I marched from 70 to 75. Interesting to see what when on before and after those years. RCA was really our claim to fame. It was a fun ride taking a corps from nothing to 4 time RCA champions. DCA's was always a reality check, but we did march the night show on many occasions, 8th was our best placement there. I thought someone might wonder who the heck we are and what have we ever done, besides mini corps. Another thing is that back then, there were so many corps, especially when you were in DCA's AND RCA's, that we had a show somewhere most every weekend. I look at the schedule now and I feel bad for these lesser known or struggling corps, because they only have a few shows. It would be hard for me to commit a year of blood, sweat & tears for 3 or 4 shows. My hats off to you, you have the true DC spirit. I think they need something like RCA now. Imagine a championships where there are 16 corps and only a couple of them are from DCA's. That's what it was like back then. I admit there are a lot of corps up and coming, from all over the country. Are they going to have full seasons worth of shows in DCA? Thats what was fun, competing against your rival week after week, battling for tenths. Now your whole season is based on labor day weekend. Just an observation.

Edited by Mike_B