Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

And allot of things haven't changed. Like the fact that you still haven't provided a convincing argument as to why DCI should bring woodwinds into the drum corps activity.

news flash....i dont want woodwinds in drum corps...so how could i provide that argument? to me, woodwinds will go great in my new fireplace

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they make great chimes too

Saxophones not being able to compete with brass? that is just asinine! i think trumpets and mids might have a hard time holding up to saxes.

I'd like to see a sax against a "G" bugle. :P

But on a serious note (no pun intended) I teach a band that has about 10 saxes and 3 trumpets, trumpets win!!!

I'd like to see a sax against a "G" bugle. :P

But on a serious note (no pun intended) I teach a band that has about 10 saxes and 3 trumpets, trumpets win!!!

what im stating here isnt a new piece of information or even debatable...but then again some jr high with limited experience should really be the end of all discussions, right?

ever seen a big band?

i guess all the jazz masters are wrong and bandos are correct.

And he wont, because he's against them. Besides heres one: you want to play a flute on a football field ? Go join a marching band. If you want to join a drum and bugle corps, then learn how to play what they have to offer.

~G~

That's what I did. Imagine, a clarinet player getting the drum corps experience, for seven years, even though there are no clarinets in drum corps.

um....clueless

I got me a degree in Music Composition and a minor in Jazz Studies from the best Jazz School on the planet that says I DO have a clue.

Have a nice day.

what im stating here isnt a new piece of information or even debatable...but then again some jr high with limited experience should really be the end of all discussions, right?

ever seen a big band?

i guess all the jazz masters are wrong and bandos are correct.

Your right, it's not debatable, trumpets produce more volume than saxes. It doesn't matter if it's jr high, high pro. Why do you think they mic the saxes? Iv'e never seen a trumpet solo miked. And yes I have seen some big bands, Buddy Rich comes to mind as Max Roach (sorry I'm a drummer).

I don't know where you get the "bandos are correct" from, I would think big band would be concidered a "bando".

There is NO way that these instruments can be carried in the visual context we're used to. There is no; forgive the old school term, military bearing in this family of instruments. Can one even play a clarinet facing forward while moving?

Sure there is...happens all over the country in MB...not to mention military bands that use them.