Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there would be some WW players that would try out and march.

However, many, WW players I've known over the years hated marching band. Some even quit band programs becuase they couldn't just be in concert band.

I know many brass and percussionists who dislike it too.

No they won't.

true. just the lower tier corps

I adore humor, freedom of speech moreso. I would never associate with anything resembling Nazism. I was carried out of public festival a few years ago rather than back down to some Nazi policeman.

absolutely off topic, but I think it's funny that you don't want someone else jokingly comparing your band to "Nazis," but you have no problem applying that label to a policeman.

Which is not the issue to me.

Your issue, as I understand it, is that the opportunity to march drum corps does not exist to ww players. That issue has been disproved. Sorry Mike.

When did U-M go to all pics and no flutes?

Well I don't what they do today, but back when Revelli was the director and my brother marched two years, including a trip to the Rose Bowl, they marched 23 clarinets and 1 piccolo. No flutes or bass clarinets.

Revelli always said if you have just one piccolo in a band, no matter how big, it will be heard. :)

And no Ohio State does not have saxophones. They actually have a very unique instrumentation.

Trumpets

Flugle horns

Eb alto horns

Tronboniums (similar to a true british baritone, no slide trombones)

Euphoniums

Sousaphones

Percussion

Edited by shawn craig

I do not care who disagrees.

I've come to realize that.

Mellos were invented to emulate the concert french horn...hence the large bell.

That is not correct. The French horn bugle, as the name suggests, was introduced for that purpose in 1950. Evidently, the mellophone's introduction 12 years later was for some other purpose.

Multi-teniors=toms..used withdrum sets and in concert band far longer than drum corps.

I've played in a dozen concert bands and observed many more, and have never seen multi-tenor drums used in that setting. Haven't seen drum sets in the concert band setting either. A rock band - sure. Jazz band - yes.

Oh, I see where this is going. You're right - drum corps instrumentation has been changing to emulate band - concert band, jazz band, rock band, marching band, Memphis Blues Brass Band, etc. Since nearly every other form of instrumental music is referred to as some sort of "band", there's a thread of truth to your assertion. However, the way you state it is still inflammatory and misleading, whether you intend it that way or not.

Taken together, all of those changes were iaimed at getting drum corps brass to band brass. It is not 'obvious' at all. They were incremengtal steps.

You contradict yourself. These changes were not part of some master plan to convert bugles to band brass. The very fact that they were "incremental changes" invalidates your attempt to evaluate them "taken together".

Once again, when the two-valve bugle was ratified in 1976, the DCI board went on record as being permanently opposed to three-valve horns. Clearly, that change was not intended to lead to band brass. There is no doubt.

That is entirely uncalled for, IMO. You may disagree with me, but there is no call to be rude and obnoxious about it.

Not intended that way. Perhaps "imagination" was a poor choice of words. Change that to "opinion", with my apologies. :bleah:

No, Mike - that is the business of every corps involved in DCI. They'll all be paying that cost, one way or another.

No they won't.

Yes, they will. Your proposal for a separate DCI division for marching band is asking DCI's member corps to take some of their hard-earned revenue and use it to subsidize marching band.

We've been over this before. Over the past 60 years, drum corps and summer marching band have been in separate circuits in many markets. We can look back and compare their ability to generate revenue to sustain themselves - generally, drum corps did, summer marching band did not. Creating new summer marching bands from among the DCI membership, granting DCI event access to them and paying them any kind of appearance fees and/or membership revenue shares would be literally subsidizing marching band.

I have no problem with summer marching bands forming their own organization, even partnering with DCI to stage the same kind of joint shows you probably envision. That way, DCI and it's member drum corps can still steer their own financial course. They could even agree to subsidize the marching band circuit's effort, if they so choose.

Why don't they just do that, anyway? Because the corps (that's singular, as in "one corps") interested in marching band will not relinquish their share of the DCI money. Money which, by the way, was generated by the unique marketing appeal of drum corps, an appeal so distinctive that it was able to spawn a nationally-touring circuit the likes of which summer marching band could not sustain. You may disagree, but I think the DCI member corps should have a say in how that money is spent.

No they won't.

Yes, they will. Your proposal for a separate DCI division for marching band is asking DCI's member corps to take some of their hard-earned revenue and use it to subsidize marching band.

Those groups would be DCI drum corps. Just a different division.