Cavaliers post show clip (Music only)

The cavaliers demonstrated on that short clip probably one of the important aspects of being a successful musician (or musicians in the cavaliers case). That quality is sound. I am a horn guy, and the horns in that the short clip displayed a more mature and more beautiful sound approach than I have had heard from any early season hornline. My frame of reference is listening to the cadets and play their ballad and having myself being underwhelmed by the quality of sound that was coming from the group even during a section that is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. In recent years, the Cavaliers have not always been the loudest or musically exciting to your average person, but I have said since their 2002 season that they are producing some of the most beautiful sounds on the football field. Anyone is producing a good sound will have my ear any day and in the competitive arena will 95% of the time recieve a higher score than a group that plays with a less than desirable sound. Bravo to the cavaliers for displaying such high level of musicianship in early June.

Yes, the Cavaliers have the best mellophone line, just listen to their show last year. They are sick.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally agree with you! everyone bashes the Cavaliers because they are not *loud* I'll take gorgeous and blended sound before over blown rubbish anyday. Bravo to The Cavaliers!

Compare BD's opening chord in 05 to Cavie's opening chord. They're the same chord.

[/discussion]

(Hint: BD's sounds about 10 times better)

Hm. Ten times better, but nearly half a point lower in total brass score at Finals... B)

BTW, I suspect there's a certain amount of tongue in cheek involved in releasing this clip; the segment is more or less transition music in the show, and as such, isn't supposed to be 'a big moment.' Those who've heard the hornline playing through the show can tell you that this is gonna be an excellent year for the men in green.

Edited by mobrien

Hm. Ten times better, but nearly half a point lower in total brass score at Finals... B)

BTW, I suspect there's a certain amount of tongue in cheek involved in releasing this clip; the segment is more or less transition music in the show, and as such, isn't supposed to be 'a big moment.' Those who've heard the hornline playing through the show can tell you that this is gonna be an excellent year for the men in green.

Definitely transitional..

My guess would be a move from the opener into a much slower section

You know, I've read at least two post saying that this is basically "more of the same" from The Cavaliers. Now, I'm not saying it is, or it isn't. But, if it was similiar, so what? I mean, I've listened to all the corps from the last 5 years, and sometimes their shows sound pretty similiar from one year to another as far as style, favorite chords, visuals, percussion parts, etc... This has to do with the fact that the same person is arranging/composing the music for a specific medium. It's a good thing to have teams that are together for a period of time, however the corps they work with will get a specific sound and look. No big deal.

Also, as several people have said, this music does sound like a transition from one part of the show to another, so it's not likely meant to very revealing, except for the fact that the corps sounds pretty darn good. Let's hear or see the whole show before we start complaning that it's " More of the same". After all, corps used to play whole sections over their shows from one year to the next. Now it seems that we can get similiar chord progressions from one year to the next without someone crying foul.

Edited by jjeffeory

If it ain't broke don't fix it maybe??

Anywho.... I'm sure it's gonna be great as always. Can't wait to see it, as I've always been a sucker for those uniforms. (from far away at least.)

Compare BD's opening chord in 05 to Cavie's opening chord. They're the same chord.

[/discussion]

I'll give you that. They played the opening chord better.

Too bad judges have to judge more than just the first 10 seconds of a show.

Compare BD's opening chord in 05 to Cavie's opening chord. They're the same chord....

As well it should...when comparing a professionally-recorded and pressed CD/DVD of the last show of the season after a top-nothch staff has tweaked, cleaned and perfected with a relatively amateur recording from a pre-season camp.

Personally, I don't think they're the same chord, anyhow, but that could be just me. Maybe we (and by "we," I mean "someone else") can get Wayne Downey and Richard Saucedo to spell them both out for us.

Edited by Michael Boo