Cavaliers post show clip (Music only)

i totally agree with you! everyone bashes the Cavaliers because they are not *loud* I'll take gorgeous and blended sound before over blown rubbish anyday. Bravo to The Cavaliers!

OR - how about LOUD AND "GORGEOUS AND BLENDED" sound???

Oh wait - STAR isn't on the field anymore... :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OR - how about LOUD AND "GORGEOUS AND BLENDED" sound???

Oh wait - STAR isn't on the field anymore... :(

So are we saying that The Cavaliers were never loud between 2001 and 2005? Because that's just silly.

Or are we saying that loud only counts if you're loud the whole time? Also silly.

And Star definitely did raise the bar for brass playing. In that regard (and other regards) they took the activity out of the 80's. I will give you that. But I don't think that standard still holds . . . it's been broken more than once.

from your comments I'll just go ahead and assume that you never saw Star perform live

1. they were true masters of dynamics - not "loud all the time" by any measure - no corps - past or present has been able to top their use of dynamics and air control IMO

2. the last few years they were on the field they had moments LOUDER than any other "controlled" and "balanced" brass sound I have ever witnessed on a football field

3. Cavaliers have also produced some wonderful sound quality - but not at the dynamic levels or mechanical challenges that Star achieved 90-93

JMHO

The clip is the same one that got the CavaliersRosemont MySpace shut down for bandwidth overuse.

I was at the Alumni sponsored picnic/preview yesterday and either this piece is being used later in the show than the ballad, or it's been re-written because they do have an interlude piece that transitions from one piece to another, I don't recall hearing this specific piece during what they did play.

I will say this, however, while this music may not be "show music" technically right now, it is a good overall representation of the "feel" of the show.. dark, sort of mysterious and ominous.. brilliant move to post it, IMO as they aren't actually giving anything about the show away.. just giving you a taste of what it will feel like.

Oh and for you volume whores out there, I don't believe you will be disappointed in this hornline at all. That beautiful, balanced and lush sound you expect from the Cavaliers is 100% there.. just more of it.

I'll be posting a review of what we saw yesterday shortly.. it's going to be a very good year.

Stef

Heh, "volume whores". I like it, cause I am SUCH a volume whore. That's why I like victory concerts and why I spent Semi's an Finals night last season in the parking lot. Cause you just don't know loud till you hear a hornline play without judges in their face.

"If it's worth playing, it's worth playing LOUD."

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

Oh and for you volume whores out there, I don't believe you will be disappointed in this hornline at all. That beautiful, balanced and lush sound you expect from the Cavaliers is 100% there.. just more of it.

Stef

With a couple more horn players to boot...

Aren't they all lower brass too?

With a couple more horn players to boot...

Aren't they all lower brass too?

72 by my count yesterday.......with a LOT of Euphs. :)

First thing I thought upon hearing it was that it would fit very well in the 007 show from two years ago. They sound great; I can't wait to see the show. Only 12 mellos with 24 trumpets and baris/euphs though? Makes me sad . . . but I'm biased.

First thing I thought upon hearing it was that it would fit very well in the 007 show from two years ago. They sound great; I can't wait to see the show. Only 12 mellos with 24 trumpets and baris/euphs though? Makes me sad . . . but I'm biased.

From what I've heard of the cavaliers recently, their mellophine would be MORE than capable of matching the volume of the extra brass players added to other sections.